Striper1851

Cod/Haddock North Shore

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Dying to go out fishing and since stripers not around so would love to try some bottom fishing for cod and/or haddock.

Not asking for any spot burns, but generally on the North Shore are we looking for rock piles, flat areas, etc. and if so, at what depth this time of year?

Last year my first time trying for cod/haddock used clams strips on a typical bottom weight - 2 hook set up, but kept getting a bunch of multiple short cods to return and no haddock at all (which I prefer). Interestingly, there are many web posts about rigs being more cod vs haddock for some reason that weren't clear to me the difference.

Like to get one keeper cod if possible, but haddock very appreciated.

Thanx

HA that map is very inaccurate from first glance. Spots that are loaded with haddock marked red, spots loaded with cod marked green. 

19 hours ago, finefish said:

HA that map is very inaccurate from first glance. Spots that are loaded with haddock marked red, spots loaded with cod marked green. 

It changes month to month. 

Go find somewhere flat ~100 feet deep. If your in the GOM, you’ll want the shiny silver ones with the black spot....send the brown ones back. 

Yep, and I wouldn’t give up on high-low rigs with clam strips for haddock. Remember haddock have small mouths so you don’t need giant globs. If you can find cannonball shaped weights, I like the way they get down.

Thanx! Looks like finally Saturday will be some good conditions to go out on the North Shore. I have some Norwegian jigs 16--24oz to try. will also try clams on classic hi-lo rigs.

There was a day I used to love swinging 16 oz jigs for cod, now there is no need. Save your back and arms, get a 9 oz jig. Plus the haddock love em.