ExcessiveAngler

Penn 525 Mag Question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello everyone.I just recently picked up a 525.The reel isn’t in to bad of shape but could tell it was in need of service.So I decided it would be best to break down and clean and lube everything since it didn’t seem like the magnets were working.I also noticed a few screws were missing from the get go and think I can get them.My real problem is as soon as I took off left side plate the magnets were not in the holder and stuck in a pile on the clicker.I’m trying to figure out how they’re supposed to be arranged in the mag holder, the slider type.Does anyone have some  advice,pics or possibly a link to a video for servicing the reel and fixing the magnets? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

For the best eddy current braking, mags should be located with staggered polarities, such as with this Surfmaster 200 that I static magged ....

20210104_063420BBB.jpg

On 4/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, BeachBob said:

For the best eddy current braking, mags should be located with staggered polarities, such as with this Surfmaster 200 that I static magged ....

20210104_063420BBB.jpg

Hey BeachBob, that Surfmaster 200 you static magged is the spool aluminum or stainless steel?

4 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Hey BeachBob, that Surfmaster 200 you static magged is the spool aluminum or stainless steel?

Aluminum - I don't like the heavy metal spools for distance casting.

I was considering static magging a Surfmaster 200.But the one I was looking at magging has a stainless steel spool.Can you static mag a reel 

with a stainless steel spool? Or does it have to be in aluminum spool?

13 mins ago, Russ57 said:

Not the best resolution but it should get you on the right track.

525mag.pdf

I have that schematic downloaded. As I understand it you just have to make sure the polarity’s are crossed. The magnets in that reel have spaces in between a few of them. From what I am understanding as long as I cross the polarities North south north south. I should be fine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As long as the spool is metal it can be magged, but aluminum is what you really want for distance casting.  You can get an aluminum spool for almost all the olde tyme Penn revolvers.

I have the SM200 mostly for sentimental reasons, and it works fine, but it's a plain bearing reel and not a distance caster.  The static mags do help.

There are lotsa choices for mag brake reels these dayze.  I've had many.  My preference is with Akios, mostly because they're a bit better than the Abu round reels ...  this is all in the 6500 size family.  I don't like the mag systems in most reels and prefer a mono mag.  This is why the last reel I bought is the Akios Dynamo, which is a 6500 size and no mag brakes, just centrifugal.  I pulled off all the brake blocks and drilled in a Zeta mono mag.  Mo' bettah fo' me.

Dynamo with added mono mag, next to a classic Daiwa Millionaire 6HM with level wind removed ...

20210213_071349.jpg

The Daiwa is the exact same reel Danny uses in this video ...

Edited by BeachBob

2 hours ago, BeachBob said:

As long as the spool is metal it can be magged, but aluminum is what you really want for distance casting.  You can get an aluminum spool for almost all the olde tyme Penn revolvers.

I have the SM200 mostly for sentimental reasons, and it works fine, but it's a plain bearing reel and not a distance caster.  The static mags do help.

There are lotsa choices for mag brake reels these dayze.  I've had many.  My preference is with Akios, mostly because they're a bit better than the Abu round reels ...  this is all in the 6500 size family.  I don't like the mag systems in most reels and prefer a mono mag.  This is why the last reel I bought is the Akios Dynamo, which is a 6500 size and no mag brakes, just centrifugal.  I pulled off all the brake blocks and drilled in a Zeta mono mag.  Mo' bettah fo' me.

Dynamo with added mono mag, next to a classic Daiwa Millionaire 6HM with level wind removed ...

20210213_071349.jpg

The Daiwa is the exact same reel Danny uses in this video ...

wow, that video was awesome.He dumped that spool like it was nothing.
He’s a big burly guy to. I think that helped him with his casting to.Surfmaster that I have is  also sentimental and was used by my father and my uncle.I just don’t know if I wanna mess with it or just keep it on the shelf.But I can tell you one thing, I really enjoy casting the revolving reels. I wish I would’ve gotten involved casting them along time ago.I like fishing with them also, only a little drawback that I don’t like but I’m sure I’ll get used to is having to look at the reel when you’re leveling the line on it.

6 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

wow, that video was awesome.He dumped that spool like it was nothing.
He’s a big burly guy to. I think that helped him with his casting to.Surfmaster that I have is  also sentimental and was used by my father and my uncle.I just don’t know if I wanna mess with it or just keep it on the shelf.But I can tell you one thing, I really enjoy casting the revolving reels. I wish I would’ve gotten involved casting them along time ago.I like fishing with them also, only a little drawback that I don’t like but I’m sure I’ll get used to is having to look at the reel when you’re leveling the line on it.

Danny holds casting world records, and since a good part of distance casting is in both technique and physique, his "body mass" do help for added meters. ;)

If yer SM is in good shape, you might wanna invest in an aluminum spool for casting.

Yep, just takes time and lotsa reeling to not have to concentrate on spool watching during retrieve. :)

Any metal that conducts electricity can be magged, Lenz law doesn’t discriminate. Even plastic spools can be magged, just epoxy brass, copper, aluminium, etc washers to the spool. 
 After servicing my 525 it got ‘too ‘ fast, I had to piggyback additional mags to the carriage.

You don't have to worry too much about the magnets on this reel, it's easy to cast(unlike what others might say, they should stick to spinning gear) load it up with heavy braid and go at it. I have several of these reels and even tricked one out with a PMR kit, it's not needed though.