CTS vs ....

Rate this topic

thebandman

Hey all,

I have a CTS 1505 built for me years ago with a 70/30 split made by a popular guy in nags head. It was the last custom I've bought before I've started building my own. I have fallen in love with Rodgeek blanks (and black hole) since then, and I'm looking to build a new heaver similar to the CTS. The CTS blanks are around $400 while the heaver blanks from Rodgeeks are less than $200. Both are similar in weight, length, butt width with, with the CTS having a slightly smaller tip size. My question is should I bite the bullet for another CTS blank, or is the rod geeks blank similar enough? Has anyone messed with the two side by siinput. Are there any other recommendations for me?

Thanks for any and all imput.

Edited by thebandman

Just now, SurffisherMike said:

you need to check the blanks out for yourself to be 100%. people like different characteristics of the rod different amounts meaning whats important to one person might not be to the next. matching up the specs that you did means nothing at all as to whether the blanks will be similar 

Kinda figured that. Problem is that I have no way of trying out the Rodgeek blank, as no one stocks them as far as I know.

You may want to look at Lamiglas GSB blanks too. For the money around $200-$300 are quite possibly one of the best surf rods around. I built a 1202L and it has incredible action yet backbone to handle any striper from the beach 

9 hours ago, LeoNYC said:

You may want to look at Lamiglas GSB blanks too. For the money around $200-$300 are quite possibly one of the best surf rods around. I built a 1202L and it has incredible action yet backbone to handle any striper from the beach 

I think any lami blank would make a piss poor heaver. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Some folks like the Rodgeeks, but the CTS is the gold standard right now. You might like the Rodgeeks a lot, but they are not nearly as popular.

Rodbuilding isn’t about production or saving money. It is about finding what you like and designing it to fit your preferences and needs. You have to be willing to spend more money than you have to to get what you want. Sometimes that means buying and building one, only to end up with a rod you don’t really love. 

Buy a Rodgeeks. Tape some guides on it and  cast it. If you like it build it and fish it, that’s the only way to know for sure

Just looked, St Croix doesn’t offer a 13’ from the factory so getting a hand on one isn’t going to work.

Tough call here. You like both brands, and have good experience with CTS.

If your heaver will be used all the time, I say spend the $ on the CTS. If not than do the rod geeks, less money and US company if it breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

The cts you had built would have been a 1305, not a 1505 in case you try to order another on your own. I don’t know anything about the rod geeks but I know one guy who has a few of the 12’ black hole heavers and it is a much different action than the CTS.