nightfighter

Electronic Flare???

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

C-1003 SOS Distress Light, Flag & Whistle (Electronic Flare)

Just saw this; "The C-1003 fills all Coast Guard Compliant Visual Distress Signal (VDS) requirements (46 CFR 175.130) for recreational marine vessels 16 FT AND OVER signals when combined with the included Distress Flag and quality marine whistle to fulfill USCG audible signal requirements."

Am i just late to the party or is this the new answer to replacing flares every couple years?

C-1003-SOS-Beacon-Flare_2.jpg

Edited by nightfighter

good question

Batteries expire like an epirb?

Also, again, maybe its me too, I wouldn't want to be making the argument thats its the equivalent of a flare during a safety check, USGC would be one thing, but particularly with the staties around here who seem to have a pole up their azz and a head full of rocks

Edited by makorider

From what I've read, they are Coast Guard compliant, but they are not necessarily as noticeable as a traditional flare.  And they clearly are limited to line-of-sight at--maybe--8 or 12 feet above sea level, depending on the highest point on a particular boat.

So here is the question:  If you're using a flare, it's probably because you're in fairly deep trouble, in a place where neither your radio nor your cell phone can be used to summon help.  Under those circumstances, do you want something that can only be seen from a few miles away, or do you want something that reaches into the sky and can be seen from quite a bit farther out?

I'd probably prefer the latter.

Having said that, the distress beacon makes a nice back-up if you run out of flares, or to direct the SAR folks in over the last couple of miles, given that flares die out pretty quickly.  And if you never leave the bay, it will probably be fine.

I think like mentioned above, it's a happy addition to the family. I would not throw my flairs away. Money better spent on this device, If I ever got back into boating.

This would be on my list of safety devices.

Edited by TimS
link

On 4/25/2021 at 8:00 AM, surfcast said:

I think like mentioned above, it's a happy addition to the family. I would not throw my flairs away. Money better spent on this device, If I ever got back into boating.

This would be on my list of safety devices.

I put a Garmin InReach on the boat last year, in addition to the flares, radio, EPIRB, and life raft.  Satellite emergency communication, but it also allows sending emails and texts via satellite, and allows chosen people to track the boat;s location in 10-minute intervals.  Gives my wife a lot of peace of mind if I hook up with a big fish toward the end of the day and end up staying out later than expected, run into a late afternoon bite, etc.

Edited by TimS

My pile of expired flares is growing. I have the 12Ga. gun and always (every 3 years?) I replace the required flares as per Coast Guard regs. But I rarely if ever go out at night, and am tired of checking dates, and spending about $30 to remain in compliance. I bought a similar electric flare  to pass inspection, but keep the marked "outdated" flares in a zip lock just in case. Easier to replace a few D cells with a long shelf life, than those flares.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, CWitek said:

I put a Garmin InReach on the boat last year, in addition to the flares, radio, EPIRB, and life raft.  Satellite emergency communication, but it also allows sending emails and texts via satellite, and allows chosen people to track the boat;s location in 10-minute intervals.  Gives my wife a lot of peace of mind if I hook up with a big fish toward the end of the day and end up staying out later than expected, run into a late afternoon bite, etc.

Buddy I fish with uses it to share info with other friends when offshore via text - without advertising it on the vhf

Edited by makorider

35 mins ago, makorider said:

Buddy I fish with uses it to share info with other friends when offshore via text - without advertising it on the vhf

It's good for that, too.

Both , never too much safety precautions. Crap happens quick, There's never an ideal situation to be in.:beatin:

I had an AUX CG inspection at my dock a few weeks ago, and they recommended I buy the electronic flare instead of the normal ones.

That's great for inspections, something I'd never do again if I had a choice, but if things get ugly out there, I'd rather have 30 "shoot'em" flares on board to send in every direction possible rather than hold up a glorified flashlight.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:36 AM, nightfighter said:

C-1003 SOS Distress Light, Flag & Whistle (Electronic Flare)

Just saw this; "The C-1003 fills all Coast Guard Compliant Visual Distress Signal (VDS) requirements (46 CFR 175.130) for recreational marine vessels 16 FT AND OVER signals when combined with the included Distress Flag and quality marine whistle to fulfill USCG audible signal requirements."

Am i just late to the party or is this the new answer to replacing flares every couple years?

C-1003-SOS-Beacon-Flare_2.jpg

Those would be good to have but I find it hard to believe it would work better than a flare for getting fast attention.

3 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Those would be good to have but I find it hard to believe it would work better than a flare for getting fast attention.

Depends where you are and response time day or nite. Still both/ less beer or cigars:banghd:

Just now, RAW said:

Depends where you are and response time day or nite. Still both/ less beer or cigars:banghd:

No reason not to have several options on the boat.