pricise10

April 2021 fishing reports

Rate this topic

346 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

Sounds good, I'll be doing that going forward. Just kills me because I only got the once chance and I goofed it up. I've never really fished conventional setups much but I do absolutely love these setups. I got penn squalls paired with st croix mojo salt conventionals. Honestly it's so light and reels like butter, I just gotta get use to it.

Just like the other guy said- turn on the clicker and free spool it, that’s the way it’s designed. The clicker should stop the line from really free spooling , doing essentially the same as what you were doing.  Conventional reels can be a pain at first, but after a while you’ll learn to love it, it’s pretty much all I fish with a majority of the time. Depending on the reel-  you also have your adjustment for the spool tension- it’s the knob right under the drag adjustment. I’m pretty sure penn squal has it- this essentially controls how fast /freely your spool spins. You can tighten that up very slightly too- so that your bait drops steadily from your rod tip to the ground without a major backlash. Just don’t over tighten it. There’s some good YouTube videos out there that will help. Have fun, catching fish that was is so much fun! 

On 4/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, Foureel said:

Boat fish don't count and since we were in a boat today and didn't catch I guess I will report.  Marked and marked and marked lots of fish.  Tried everything and they just wouldn't cooperate.  Seems like this has been going on for the last few days, water 50.5*  Northern MO CO 

Interesting.  I experienced something very similar on Tuesday as well.  Just before sunrise I caught a fat 40+ inch fish but once the sun came up it was a very slow pick eventhough I was marking a lot of fish.  I only had 3 other shorts and called it quits when the wind picked up to constant 15+  mph.  They were there but just didn't want to bite.

49 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Just like the other guy said- turn on the clicker and free spool it, that’s the way it’s designed. The clicker should stop the line from really free spooling , doing essentially the same as what you were doing.  Conventional reels can be a pain at first, but after a while you’ll learn to love it, it’s pretty much all I fish with a majority of the time. Depending on the reel-  you also have your adjustment for the spool tension- it’s the knob right under the drag adjustment. I’m pretty sure penn squal has it- this essentially controls how fast /freely your spool spins. You can tighten that up very slightly too- so that your bait drops steadily from your rod tip to the ground without a major backlash. Just don’t over tighten it. There’s some good YouTube videos out there that will help. Have fun, catching fish that was is so much fun! 

Thanks for the feed back. I did start using a bait caster for certain LMB fishing last year so I am familiar with the tension knobs. I look forward to trying again!

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 skunks and a rat. Last 2 afternoons out back NoMoCo, skunk. At least there was a lot of life. Birds and nervous bunker near shore but nada. Had 30 min tonight to mess around out front SoMoCo at dusk. Middle of outgoing, light S wind, water clear with little surf action. I broke the ice for the spring season with a rat and bunker on the RU teaser. I’ll be up north again tomorrow afternoon to play Uber for my baby. So I’ll be hitting out back again.

Edited by DeeMonee

42 mins ago, J.K. said:

Interesting.  I experienced something very similar on Tuesday as well.  Just before sunrise I caught a fat 40+ inch fish but once the sun came up it was a very slow pick eventhough I was marking a lot of fish.  I only had 3 other shorts and called it quits when the wind picked up to constant 15+  mph.  They were there but just didn't want to bite.

It's possible the bass have covid-19 lost sense of smell and little to no appetite. Blurred vision also.

NoMoCo in the back with bunker frolicking. You would think this racket would entice some stripers but no. Was using a Hollow Flye, bunker the a herring both 10" plus three spin guys were still in the water when I left 8:30 was dropping. Saw a grebe swimming near me and the bunker were too big to eat so some smaller bait may be moving in.

Nomoco got the fat skunk, couple of bunker washing up looking oxygen deprived, dont think anything major will happen till post hudson spawn, im sticking to freshwater until the ocean water warms up some more. Iim fine with a late start but hope theres large stripers with some big bluefish action which was kinda non existent in 2020 but we all know its gona probably be a rat fiesta with poor fish release techniques 

11 hours ago, pricise10 said:

So i read today that the bunker are dying because the bacteria in the water. Have anyone else saw the article on the Middletown patch?? *

Dead bunker floating by up river on the incoming tide.

Edited by TimS
quote edited

6 hours ago, mike07gsxr said:

It's possible the bass have covid-19 lost sense of smell and little to no appetite. Blurred vision also.

Funny.  I was wondering what happened to the bite.  

I've been working in the same area the last couple of dusks that produced last week, but it has been slim pickings this week.  Last night I did hook up with a rat but lost him close in.  There were 7 other guys around last night.  I had the only hookup after the sunset.

On a could windy afternoon into night last week, whilst teaching somebody how to not catch fish we came accross a bunch of dying bunker, swimming upside down, and apparently had some parasites on them, it was clearly not a normal die off. Something is going on on the northeast atlantic coast with flesh eating bacteria ....Vibrio. To all you eaters out there.....no striper sushi.....

As for a fishing report I've been out twice and welll......its a secret.

Spoiler

:skunk::skunk:

If you guys play nice I'll give you full details. :howdy:

First trip out post-COVID and it was good.  Out back in MoCo.  Water temp 52.  At least a dirty dozen between 23"-37" plus several dropped fish, including a couple that felt real heavy.    On the incoming barely marked anything but on the turn to outgoing it was like somebody turned on the light switch.  FF lit up like a Christmas tree with an insane amount of bass.   Left them biting.

Parrot magnum bomber was the only thing they wanted from me.

Edited by GeoffT