April 2021 fishing reports

Rate this topic

pricise10

As April slowly comes to end, I reflect on what's been a decent spring for me. Largely in part to putting my time in where last year was almost impossible to get out(even night trips). Grateful...

Caught decent numbers on a variety of the usuals; mag darter, ss darter, metal lips and hydro minnow. All out back and fish up to 37". One group moved in a couple weeks ago that were flat out mean fighting fish compared to others.

I've actually gone the other route compared to many, regarding rod/reel setups. Using my 10' with a heavy drag and putting the heat on them versus going light and letting them take drag and wear down. It's been fun!

Apologies for the not so great pics 

20210415_021949.jpg

20210415_031251~2.jpg

Got into a good topwater bite at dawn. Anyone else experience the following: There were any number of sick(?) bunker swimming in circles on the surface and splashing around without being touched by a bass. Yet the bass were crushing the big florescent chartreuse spook.

1 min ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Wow the Blues are in town!!!! Sounds like a good sign!! 

@ND74 I find it very strange as well that the bass are not going after the sick bunker... interesting 

I was kind of avoiding area where they were sick bunker. I figured that bass can tell the difference between sick and healthy bunker. I'm sure the sick bunker aren't too appetizing.

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

18 mins ago, JimK said:

I was kind of avoiding area where they were sick bunker. I figured that bass can tell the difference between sick and healthy bunker. I'm sure the sick bunker aren't too appetizing.

Hey Jim- good point , thanks... I had one floating around me this morning- half alive swimming in circles and upside down... 

@DeeMonee good stuff! Hope I run into some of that action... not that I like blue fish, but I can’t remember the last time I caught a blue from the beach.... 

57 mins ago, ND74 said:

Got into a good topwater bite at dawn. Anyone else experience the following: There were any number of sick(?) bunker swimming in circles on the surface and splashing around without being touched by a bass. Yet the bass were crushing the big florescent chartreuse spook.

They are zombie bunker.

Made the trip to the south but found the same small fish down there that are in the backyard.  Picked up a few down there and then stopped local and picked up a few more.  Talked to a diver and he said those little fish are everywhere, just not seeing anything with size yet.  May have to start a little chopper hunting to hear the drag sing again.