pricise10

April 2021 fishing reports

Rate this topic

718 posts in this topic

Brilliant sunshine cleanest clearest water I have seen in a long time - stiff west wind continues water temp dropped to 47, no forage evident but with the wind you could cast the small stuff a mile + 

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Very nice, IMHO the hardest plug style to make and have swim consistently

6 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Tony (Spina) even said this was the hardest plug to make and have swim consistently

Having tried, I agree

I've got jigs set up to turn them out pretty efficiently and accurately, and even still make firewood about 10% of the time.

59 mins ago, CharlieK said:

I guess you never tried to make a bottle plug??????

I think the cutting and sanding of a bottle is more difficult than the lipless, but the lipless is waayy more finicky when it comes to weighting and line tie (in my humble opinion).   

To keep it report thread relevant - bay fish to be had.  Looking forward to a change in the wind, the forecast doesn't have me jumping for joy though...

Fished a couple of hours late afternoon, out front, MoCo. As others reported water was crystal clear and flat. Hard west wind. Not a tap. I tried several beaches right up to the border, without stepping over it. A lot of sand bugs and one beach in particular had a goodly number of whole, non sheded crabs. One of my favorite spots had a lot of clam shells, more than I've seen in years. I've noticed more clam shells this spring, especially in areas that have not had them in a long time. 

As to my skunking today, I'll have to ask the Committee if each beach I went to counts as an individual skunk or if it's one grand skunk for the overall trip. That should keep them busy for awhile!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I might be asking too much and I apologise in advance.

I plan on taking my boat out in the Delaware River tomorrow (winds been horrible so that could change once I scope out the situation lol). Due to weather up in Maine, bloodworms are difficult to come by right now. Due to the wind, bunker is hard to come by as well. Never really fished without bait from a boat for stripers, especially in a freshwater river. I have plugs but I really have no idea where to begin. In the salt I'm sure you can just work sod banks and whatnot but that doesn't really apply here. I'll probably just LMB fish a creek butI I'dlike to give it a go for stripers as well in the river. I'm sure tossing out an SP minnow into 40' of water is not the way to go. If someone wiser than me can help, I would appreciate it!

Edited by hurricane1091

8 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I might be asking too much and I apologise in advance.

I plan on taking my boat out in the Delaware River tomorrow (winds been horrible so that could change once I scope out the situation lol). Due to weather up in Maine, bloodworms are difficult to come by right now. Due to the wind, bunker is hard to come by as well. Never really fished without bait from a boat for stripers, especially in a freshwater river. I have plugs but I really have no idea where to begin. In the salt I'm sure you can just work sod banks and whatnot but that doesn't really apply here. I'll probably just LMB fish a creek butI I'dlike to give it a go for stripers as well in the river. I'm sure tossing out an SP minnow into 40' of water is not the way to go. If someone wiser than me can help, I would appreciate it!

Get some storm shad paddle tails and fish slow and low

Went out back in OC last night with a buddy who hasn't caught a fish in a couple of years. He hooked into 2 and was stoked.  I had a couple of taps, but couldn't hook up.  9:00 pm till 11:00 pm.  

7 mins ago, Goldy said:

Why do people think its ok to shine a 2000 lumen light at night.  

dude turn the f’in light off. 

Oh you mean Mr. Spotlight? You can see his light several beaches down. He must be fishing for squid. 

Outback last night 5 to 11pm. That blow early on brought toupee level weeds on each cast. Walked around and found a spot with cleaner water. A few bait guys were there and they said nothing on clams and worms. Took a few casts and started hooking up, lost a decent one with my drag too tight. Anyway, a gentleman shows up and starts casting close to me and he was switching lures like candy. I was wondering what he was doing. I was still catching but then he gets his first fish. Then gets another. He ends up with maybe a dozen and I had zero hook ups after he started crushing them. The bait guys still had nothing and were just cheering him on with every fish he caught. I wasn't sure what he was using, but it was smaller than what I was throwing. I moved from my spot and started wading out, fish were boiling all around me and I wasn't waded out far at all. Tried everything but nothing and noone else was catching even the sharpie from early on. Another fish boiled right next to me and by this time I have had it with them mocking me. I tried to slap the bassturd with my rod and walked away.  Grateful for the moon last night, had to retie from a windknot with no headlamp. 

24 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Oh you mean Mr. Spotlight? You can see his light several beaches down. He must be fishing for squid. 

Very bizarre.  Were you part of the instagram picture crew today?

4 mins ago, Goldy said:

Very bizarre.  Were you part of the instagram picture crew today?

I moved to a quieter spot to get some peace. I dont think so and I dont do instagram. I only use instacart. 

6 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Outback last night 5 to 11pm. That blow early on brought toupee level weeds on each cast. Walked around and found a spot with cleaner water. A few bait guys were there and they said nothing on clams and worms. Took a few casts and started hooking up, lost a decent one with my drag too tight. Anyway, a gentleman shows up and starts casting close to me and he was switching lures like candy. I was wondering what he was doing. I was still catching but then he gets his first fish. Then gets another. He ends up with maybe a dozen and I had zero hook ups after he started crushing them. The bait guys still had nothing and were just cheering him on with every fish he caught. I wasn't sure what he was using, but it was smaller than what I was throwing. I moved from my spot and started wading out, fish were boiling all around me and I wasn't waded out far at all. Tried everything but nothing and noone else was catching even the sharpie from early on. Another fish boiled right next to me and by this time I have had it with them mocking me. I tried to slap the bassturd with my rod and walked away.  Grateful for the moon last night, had to retie from a windknot with no headlamp. 

Sounds like a worm hatch at the end there. Ive been known to fling my rod in the water when the bass key in on the worms.:banghd:

6 mins ago, bdowning said:

Sounds like a worm hatch at the end there. Ive been known to fling my rod in the water when the bass key in on the worms.:banghd:

That may have been what it was. So frustrating. Thanks. 

29 mins ago, adoboboy said:

:ph34r::rav: