347 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

It’s over 

that's what I get for bringing p10 with me :skunk::p

Edited by ctd450

1 hour ago, suntzu said:

I feel you on the waders. Had a pair of Simms that lasted many years until last fall. Bought high end frogg toggs, all that was a available, great through Nov Jan; put them on in March leaks on both sides. Trash product Just got a new pair of Simms stocking foot trying to return the FTs

FYI.  There is no such thing has high end frog togs. An absolute junk product

i went thru hellbender and Anura 2 in a month

Edited by Goldy

1 hour ago, ctd450 said:

that's what I get for bringing p10 with me :skunk::p

I’m gonna start bringing my white rod, my white boots and white bucket with me..always had success! .

Edited by pricise10

Just now, pricise10 said:

I’m gonna start bringing my white rod, wear my white boots and white bucket with me..always had success! .

just like the old days!  it'll be fun!

13 hours ago, bdowning said:

I know they use various sprays like wd40 on the west coast on lures when salmon fishing. But its more used to mask human scent than as an attractant. Not sure that stripers are as sensitive to human scent as salmon. Doubt it.

606917847ac9c_SmellyJelly.png.8dee0c476bb79d8bb49fdf5759425298.png

14 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

some dudes smoke in a tree stand and still manage to shoot a deer, etc lol.

I usually find a good loud smelly fart to pass the time actually works like a lure..got my best deer while pressing some stinkers....tried it fishing a few times but all i saw was bubbles and my waders filled up with air and i floated a bit..

On another note, i hit a few back spots from 1pm to about 7pm with nothing but frozen toes to show for it.not single sign of life anywhere.it was a beautiful day for working out the arm

Edited by Baccigalup

Fished for about an hour tonight. Took the skunk after a decent week. 

Trying to build confidence in the small Sebile stick shad(slow sinking).  Anyone here use them frequently?  Was casting slightly up current and fishing a slow retrieve with an occasional twitch.  Any tips to share?

1 hour ago, weekendwarrior said:

Fished for about an hour tonight. Took the skunk after a decent week. 

Trying to build confidence in the small Sebile stick shad(slow sinking).  Anyone here use them frequently?  Was casting slightly up current and fishing a slow retrieve with an occasional twitch.  Any tips to share?

Use them a ton when peanuts are around, have a lot of success with them worked like a pencil 

11 hours ago, Goldy said:

FYI.  There is no such thing has high end frog togs. An absolute junk product

i went thru hellbender and Anura 2 in a month

Agree. Pretty much a disposable product, if you are desperate.

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Agree. Pretty much a disposable product, if you are desperate.

Ruh roh... I got a new pair of Stockimg foot hellbenders w/boots end of last season. Didn’t get a chance to use them last year, was looking forward to busting them out soon.. Whatever happened to red balls? those things seemed to last forever.

I was referring more to frog togg rain tops. Ive never used their waders.

I had red ball waders 25 yrs ago. Company is long gone, afaik. 

First trip out since March 2020, 7p-11:30p outback, and I picked up where I left off - skunk and a wind knot. Water was flat as could be and didn’t see any bait or anything working. Bait guys didn’t appear to be doing much better.  Wind knot most likely because I just got respooled, there was no real wind last night. 

just got back from spending  the last year in a small cabin I bought up in Catskills in 2019, which was supposed to host my wedding in 2020 but will now be waiting until September of this year to do the same. As terrible as covid is, it gave me a chance to work on the house for a year straight and I’ll prob never have that opportunity again until I hit retirement. But I’ll tell you what, SOL kept me  in it mentally. Great to see you guys catching last year, it looked like a better year than 2019z

I’ll tell you what - after being gone for a year, fishing, family & friends are the only things keeping me in jersey. What a terrible state we live in. People treat nature like a garbage can - the privatization of beach fronts and access is disgusting and we, the tax payers, subsidize other people’s investments. And there’s just a profound lack of accountability. 

When you’re in the woods, an hour away from the nearest Home Depot, 25 min away from the nearest food store - you need to rely on your neighbors. There’s real community there. Jersey used to be like that, at least a little, but it’s now filled to the brim with entitles A-Holes. 

Anyway, Rant Over - hey. I haven’t posted in a year so making up for lost time. 

Have a great Easter and look forward to seeing you guys out there. 

1 hour ago, Tug Addict said:

First trip out since March 2020, 7p-11:30p outback, and I picked up where I left off - skunk and a wind knot. Water was flat as could be and didn’t see any bait or anything working. Bait guys didn’t appear to be doing much better.  Wind knot most likely because I just got respooled, there was no real wind last night. 

just got back from spending  the last year in a small cabin I bought up in Catskills in 2019, which was supposed to host my wedding in 2020 but will now be waiting until September of this year to do the same. As terrible as covid is, it gave me a chance to work on the house for a year straight and I’ll prob never have that opportunity again until I hit retirement. But I’ll tell you what, SOL kept me  in it mentally. Great to see you guys catching last year, it looked like a better year than 2019z

I’ll tell you what - after being gone for a year, fishing, family & friends are the only things keeping me in jersey. What a terrible state we live in. People treat nature like a garbage can - the privatization of beach fronts and access is disgusting and we, the tax payers, subsidize other people’s investments. And there’s just a profound lack of accountability. 

When you’re in the woods, an hour away from the nearest Home Depot, 25 min away from the nearest food store - you need to rely on your neighbors. There’s real community there. Jersey used to be like that, at least a little, but it’s now filled to the brim with entitles A-Holes. 

Anyway, Rant Over - hey. I haven’t posted in a year so making up for lost time. 

Have a great Easter and look forward to seeing you guys out there. 

Where in catskills?. I love our family cabin upstate. Trout stream right on it, great hunting.. We have enough Land to parcel off an acre and build another house just for us if we wanted to.  Often think about where i want to officially retire from and to and i love the east coast but the gun laws in ny suck worse than here. We will always keep the cabin but im not sure about keeping the house in nj.

3 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

Where in catskills?. I love our family cabin upstate. Trout stream right on it, great hunting.. We have enough Land to parcel off an acre and build another house just for us if we wanted to.  Often think about where i want to officially retire from and to and i love the east coast but the gun laws in ny suck worse than here. We will always keep the cabin but im not sure about keeping the house in nj.

Oh nice! We’re in a town called Roxbury- about 20 min west from bellayre and 45 min SW of Hunter. It’s beautiful up there - winters are hard but it’s peaceful and serene. Where are you guys?

We’re pretty close to the Esopus, I can’t wait to put in time trying to figure out trout fishing. Still trying to figure out striper fishing haha but wading in a river, surrounded by woods is something I look forward to...as opposed to last night surrounded by bunker heads and the bucket brigade haha