pricise10

April 2021 fishing reports

Rate this topic

718 posts in this topic

One short yesterday in the middle of the day with a soft plastic sand eel on a weighted swimbait hook. One 39" fish this morning on a 5" sand eel teaser above a 2 Oz ava. I was trying to stretch my tape measure to make it 38" and it was borderline. Released it no problem. Caught them wayyy down south. Short was out back, big was out "back". 

MVIMG_20210418_070730~2.jpg

What a difference a day makes. The spots fishing really well in the early AM were dead last night. You think the bass would have the courtesy to let you know they were leaving. Just rude.

Like to hear opinions on this. Most bass in the 20 to mid-30" inch range have a strong schooling tendency. This would indicate, when you see only one or two bass caught along a crowded beach, that there should be many more fish in the area.

When you see only a pick of fish are these solitary bass or is the larger school not actively feeding (and waiting for you to go home before turning on?) 

I'ld throw in feeding on something else but not when an area has schools of bunker.

I tell myself that there are more bass present  but they're just waiting for the dinner bell. I need this thought for for moral support otherwise going home to bed becomes too attractive.

1 hour ago, Kapfish said:

Hit the sand for the first time this year got a bunch of small bass, couple double headers and this guy. All quickly released. 

20210418_115311.jpg

That’s a nice lil weakie ya got there. I don’t recall catching any last year. I do recall the year before I caught and released many shorts. Hopefully their making their comebacks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finally got first striper this year at North NJ. Use 10lb power pro and 15lb leader, 5 inch shad very slow retrieve. One thing I don't understand is I use 2500 reel and the fish even cannot turn the drag(the drag maybe set at 4-6lb). the fish looks around 25 inch. It's this normal? Or just because of the cold water and they are not active. I use same setup for white perch also and some decent one(my pb is 14 inch) can take a good fight.

Edited by ganggang

MoCo outback in the afternoon, only thing worse than getting skunked is getting skunked AND punching a hole in your waders. Other than that was a beautiful day to walk the shore 

Out front, MoCo, for an hour and a half, mid afternoon. Strong SE wind. Nice chop. Outgoing tide. One little guy. Again, small profile lures. They weren't stacked up like yesterday. You had to work for them. Two other guys were more successful than I was. No fish of any size. 

Birds were working and these fish are healthy looking. Not sure what they're feeding on. Dolphins put in an appearance.

Hope to get out tomorrow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ganggang said:

Finally got first striper this year at North NJ. Use 10lb power pro and 15lb leader, 5 inch shad very slow retrieve. One thing I don't understand is I use 2500 reel and the fish even cannot turn the drag(the drag maybe set at 4-6lb). the fish looks around 25 inch. It's this normal? Or just because of the cold water and they are not active. I use same setup for white perch also and some decent one(my pb is 14 inch) can take a good fight.

Normal. it doesn't take monster set-up to catch bass around that size... bluefish of the same size will test tackle.

Think about it,  freshwater fishermen can pull in fish around 10lbs + with that type set-up

That's mighty stout for white perch. For them i go with 4.5, 5 ft with 6lb test mono

Edited by Frugal Fisherman

34 mins ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

Normal. it doesn't take monster set-up to catch bass around that size... bluefish of the same size will test tackle.

Got it. 

14 hours ago, beerspitnight said:

The night bite continues...I took the boy out from 4 till 5:30 and didn't get a tap.  I went back out in central OC, out back, and the bite turned on from 9:30 till 10:30.  Hooked into 3, lost 1, all between 26 to 27".  Last night was the first time that I had to help the fish revive before they took off.  So much fun.

PXL_20210418_013555681.MP.jpg

PXL_20210418_020125482.jpg

PXL_20210417_211723493.jpg

That's a great shot.  Enjoy the time with your son, before you know it they have kids of their own and don't have time to fish with you anymore

13 hours ago, ganggang said:

For all the stories/legends about the mighty striped bass, they really aren't much of a gamefish when compared to other species.  Unless youre fighting big fish in heavy current they're kind of fight like wet rags with a tail.  Thats a pretty light setup, but a 25 inch fish is small and shouldnt provide much of a tussle unless youre fishing trout gear.

14 hours ago, ganggang said:

Totally normal. Bass are masters at taking advantage of their environment. Places like fast moving rivers and heavy surf is when its fun to catch them.  They're turds otherwise.

Late report from last evening. 1 hr SoMoCo until dark. Beginning of incoming, light W wind, clean and flat. Managed a 20” healthy bass and a swing and a miss on another. Got him on the tsunami sand eel. Beautiful evening.