April 2021 fishing reports

Rate this topic

pricise10

I went out again last night after the kids went to bed in central OC out back.  This spot is on fire at night as of late.  Got 3 last night along with a dozen taps. All of the fish were bigger than the night before.  The last one was close to 28, I think.  I went to measure him against my rod but lost my grip on him.  I felt bad for the first one I got, which was around 22 as I hooked him in the mouth and the gill, but I also got a hook in my thumbnail as I unhooked him, so perhaps we were even.  All they wanted last night was a small metal lip.  I tried a black/purple mag darter, but they didn't touch it.

PXL_20210414_005922385.jpg

PXL_20210414_014749571.MP.jpg

PXL_20210414_015254890.jpg

Frustrating night on the yak out back in MoCo.   Eight to 34", three keepers.  Bunch of dropped fish.  Marked fish all over in the usual good spots but they were being picky.  Water temp 55 - not much wind to begin with but when it picked up a bit, fish started chewing.

14 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I most likely won't be popular for saying this, but I have long favored an annual salt water license fee of, say, $15, IF AND ONLY IF, the money went directly to the hire and training of additional enforcement officers. I know, however, that that money would wind up diverted into either the general treasury or raided to "balance the budget."

Bob,

I pray that a few make it past the gauntlet and out front for the likes of you and MC55.

I fished a spot where the water pools around me and I somehow read the tide chart wrong that when I left I had to walk through a foot of water. Work boots kept me dry lol. Had a favorable wind until it switched south and i was done. Missed one and landed one about 26” on the never failing black over yellow sp minnow 

Boston Strong

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

They are at popular poaching spots

Yea but the people that are doing it have more rites than you. Can’t say squat to them...and the po po will be branded

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

I most likely won't be popular for saying this, but I have long favored an annual salt water license fee of, say, $15, IF AND ONLY IF, the money went directly to the hire and training of additional enforcement officers. I know, however, that that money would wind up diverted into either the general treasury or raided to "balance the budget."

Nam you're a genius. Would solve a lot of problems. Of course an elegant solution like that would never fly around here.

Quick trip, out front, MoCo, mid morning. Bringing in grass and snot on a lot of casts. Water slightly off color. Decent wave action. Outgoing tide. Not a bump. This is the latest, in several years, that I've gone without fish. By this time last year I'd been catching fish for two weeks. 

On the plus side, there were two areas with a goodly amount of clam shells, spots that I haven't seen that in a number of years. One dead bunker. 

All in all, a good trip with beautiful weather.

Went out last night, wasn't really sure if I could make it out, had other priorities, but decided to go anyway. First 3 hours nothing then finally I hooked up. Started reeling in and then all of a sudden I couldn't feel my line. I said, lost the fish, then I checked my reel and the bail came off on the line roller side. @PENN Fishing Penn Torque 1st gen. I wish I serviced the bail and line roller, its been used less than 10 times. Oh well. Long walk back to the car to get my back up. Best part of the night, no swimming was involved. Oh and fish were caught. Beautiful night full of stars in the sky.

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')

2 hours ago, GeoffT said:

Frustrating night on the yak out back in MoCo.   Eight to 34", three keepers.  Bunch of dropped fish.  Marked fish all over in the usual good spots but they were being picky.  Water temp 55 - not much wind to begin with but when it picked up a bit, fish started chewing.

I've been finding this year that it takes small triggers to get them going- tide picking up, light changing, and of course, they seem to be bird dogging bunker pretty closely so depends what the bait is doing. A little dip in temps never good this time of yr, but 55 should be good. 

No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

39 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Quick trip, out front, MoCo, mid morning. Bringing in grass and snot on a lot of casts. Water slightly off color. Decent wave action. Outgoing tide. Not a bump. This is the latest, in several years, that I've gone without fish. By this time last year I'd been catching fish for two weeks. 

On the plus side, there were two areas with a goodly amount of clam shells, spots that I haven't seen that in a number of years. One dead bunker. 

All in all, a good trip with beautiful weather.

Sorry about the skunk but glad to see I’m not the only one coming up empty out front.  I believe my home waters are bit south of you and there has been nothing to be had.  Even tried the bait and wait game last night with clams and worms too and still nothing was touched.  I was out again this morning before sunrise.  The water cleaned up a little bit from yesterday.  Threw lures this time without a tap.