Bogey

Mojo inshore possible problem

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

StCroix advertising includes two flex-coat applications mine appears to have only the guides with two coats the rest of the blank does not appear treated at all, is this what they mean or just another Mexican whoops.

I believe that the two coats of flex coat finish refers to the epoxy wrap on the guides. The blank itself on the new mojo is more of a matte finish

2 hours ago, Chass510 said:

Yours is missing the candy purple finish??

sorry i should  have said the new 2021 mojo inshore

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MEF said:

I believe that the two coats of flex coat finish refers to the epoxy wrap on the guides. The blank itself on the new mojo is more of a matte finish

Maybe so but in the past when they said 2 coats they meant the entire blank, this rod replaces the late Tidemaster which was priced the same and made in the USA to a much higher standard than the new MOJO. That finish helps a lot in keeping scratches and scrapes off the blank. 

Edited by Bogey

18 mins ago, Bogey said:

Maybe so but in the past when they said 2 coats they meant the entire blank, this rod replaces the late Tidemaster which was priced the same and made in the USA to a much higher standard than the new MOJO. That finish helps a lot in keeping scratches and scrapes off the blank. 

That could be so, although I do believe the flex coat finish used for threads is not the same as the lacquer they use to give rod blanks a glossy finish. Thread epoxy doesn’t do well as a blank coating. 

If it’s any consolation, I’ve been using and abusing the new mojo and thus far it’s performed beautifully. In my opinion a significant upgrade to the previous model, which I owned 3 of

5 hours ago, MEF said:

That could be so, although I do believe the flex coat finish used for threads is not the same as the lacquer they use to give rod blanks a glossy finish. Thread epoxy doesn’t do well as a blank coating. 

If it’s any consolation, I’ve been using and abusing the new mojo and thus far it’s performed beautifully. In my opinion a significant upgrade to the previous model, which I owned 3 of

Yea the old model sucked for a few bucks more you could get a Tidemaster, by the way the new, cheaper Triumph inshore have the entire blank flex-coated

3 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Can you post a picture? I have a new Mojo inshore and am curious what you are referring to. 

I will tomorrow can’t right now. 

The flex coat has always only been for guide wraps. It would add too much weight to coat the entire blank. Blanks have different degrees of paint and clear coat but never epoxy like is on the guides.

13 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Can you post a picture? I have a new Mojo inshore and am curious what you are referring to. 

Here’s a picture it doesn’t show the difference the spinning rod is a mojo 7ft m, the conventional is a new triumph 7ft MH casting. What is not apparent is that the mojo blank has a matte finish that appears to be uncoated blank, while thee conventional rod has a low gloss finish and looks coated.

DC96F262-46E4-490E-A8ED-FC412C495611.jpeg

Edited by Bogey

17 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Here’s my second attempt a show and tell

17 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Here’s more show & tell

G

19FD283C-3C7F-48F7-9F01-76F119E39472.jpeg

81E22F4A-374F-4EB1-A7BB-FEAE7D6C4E26.jpeg

Edited by Bogey

6 mins ago, Bogey said:

Here’s more show & tell

G

19FD283C-3C7F-48F7-9F01-76F119E39472.jpeg

81E22F4A-374F-4EB1-A7BB-FEAE7D6C4E26.jpeg

The top pic is the Mojo, the bottom a Tidemaster notice the smoother transition from the threads to the blank and the light showing a continuous gloss while the Mojo light spot stops at the threads showing a non-reflecting dull surface. That’s the best I can do but both were advertised as having two coats of flex-coat, they are not the same the Mojo looks like a plain sanded blank.