Goldy

redfin question

14 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me the fascination with the rough-side redfins?  Is it the lip is not as stout?  

What year were the rough sides first available?

Folks tend to like and want what is no longer made. I see no difference in a smooth 5" Red Fin or one that's rough sided. if the fish are there they'll either bite or not, smooth or rough won't make a difference.

Posted (edited) · Report post

All rough sided RF's that I've ever seen have a narrower profile with a shorter and narrower lip than the smooth sided variants that came afterwards. My opinion is the narrower rough sided RF;s swim at a slower rate of retrieve than the wider varieties, cast further loaded than the same load in a wider smooth side. BUT before the rough sided RF's there were narrow smooth sided RF's as well but that fact is probably only known to older guys. . 

Edited by SC

4 hours ago, SC said:

All rough sided RF's that I've ever seen have a narrower profile with a shorter and narrower lip than the smooth sided variants that came afterwards. My opinion is the narrower rough sided RF;s swim at a slower rate of retrieve than the wider varieties, cast further loaded than the same load in a wider smooth side. BUT before the rough sided RF's there were narrow smooth sided RF's as well but that fact is probably only known to older guys. . 

Dam your just an encyclopedia. Love the passing of the knowledge . Thank you sir 

Rough sided Redfins are also way more durable than the smooth ones.The Chrome finish doesn't last long but a rough sided can take a beating.

6 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Dam your just an encyclopedia. Love the passing of the knowledge . Thank you sir 

I know right.  Just amazing info.  

Narrower profile lip is what interests me.   I wasn’t sure if we can shape a knew ones lip 

5 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

Rough sided Redfins are also way more durable than the smooth ones.The Chrome finish doesn't last long but a rough sided can take a beating.

I'd like to say this is true but I have had rough sided explode and lose their hangers on the first fish that eats them-right out of the package.

11 hours ago, SC said:

Steve, the smooth coexisted with the rough as you stated.  The lures I bought in the late 70's and early 80's- some were smooth and some were rough.  They were produced at the same time.  I find that the 900 series smooth (older) swam better than the 900 series rough.

The earliest RedFins (late 1950's) were smooth sided and had screweye hook hangers. Wire hanger quality diminished greatly as well. Body profiles varied depending what plant/country they were manufactured in. The sections of early Jointed CO9's were totally different proportions than later versions and also used screweyes to join the sections. Lots and lots of differences.

The old rough sided fins were made from a different plastic than what is currently used . i never noticed that the older smooth sides swam better than the rough will have to take a look at that. I use both. I don't even use the newer ones. Cordell wasn't only inconsistent with the fins. Big O's were made with a couple different size lips as well.

14 hours ago, XBMX said:

The earliest RedFins (late 1950's) were smooth sided and had screweye hook hangers. Wire hanger quality diminished greatly as well. Body profiles varied depending what plant/country they were manufactured in. The sections of early Jointed CO9's were totally different proportions than later versions and also used screweyes to join the sections. Lots and lots of differences.

That’s amazing that mfg was so varied based on country.  No quality control  

since your a fin expert have you ever tried to modify the new fin for a narrower lip. 

On 4/2/2021 at 2:39 AM, DaveC said:

Steve, the smooth coexisted with the rough as you stated.  The lures I bought in the late 70's and early 80's- some were smooth and some were rough.  They were produced at the same time.  I find that the 900 series smooth (older) swam better than the 900 series rough.

Dave - your name came up yesterday as I was fishin with Vegas Vin. 

anyways - I talked to someone that claims they have 3000 rough side red fins.  Not even sure if that’s possible.   
they swear the rough sides catch more.   How can that be possible.  

On 4/3/2021 at 6:40 AM, Goldy said:

Dave - your name came up yesterday as I was fishin with Vegas Vin. 

anyways - I talked to someone that claims they have 3000 rough side red fins.  Not even sure if that’s possible.   
they swear the rough sides catch more.   How can that be possible.  

3000 baits? Yeah that is possible, probably rough and smooth sided.  With 4 different sizes and many many variations of the same color, your collection can grow quick.  Not to mention many of the redfins were made in two hook and three hook versions.  
This is only one of 8 small boxes 800 series baits I have accumulated over that last 30 plus years.  Don’t even want to think what I have in 900 series baits.  Maybe double that.  it’s a true sickness. 
This is small compared to some people I know who have been collecting for almost 50 years. 

E050E02A-53A6-4784-B8E1-C8D4D6CD7678.jpeg

08537AED-8F86-41D3-A128-7D5F8B164A4F.jpeg

983F7E59-8F62-4AAD-8B2C-23FB5886513B.jpeg