ksong

58 lb striper on kayak

102 posts in this topic

Awesome catch. That bass would have beat out the kayak fishing record of 54lbs from Chessy. Obviously he released his it. Coild have been boga or he did the formula. 

If anyone knows of one larger than this 58 I would like to know and see it. 

1 hour ago, MikeK said:

Not doubting the accuracy of a boga.  Catching that fish in an impressive feat, standing up to weigh it in a kayak is also challenging.  Knew there was some story behind it.  Lucky he was with friends.  Thanks Ksong.

I have tried several times to weigh in the Revo. Its impossible for me. I donated a Boga trying to do it. Expensive lesson.  The outback would be a little easier. I prefer the formula, it gets pretty close. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Formulas good enough for me too.  Standing in my tarpon onIy works out for the bystanders who get to laugh.  I had a big girl on the boga once still in the water next to the kayak.  The boga for some reason must not have closed all the way (neglect).  The fish went bonkers next to the yak, freed itself from the boga, broke my line and almost capsized me in the process.  Things get interested quick out there.

Edited by MikeK
Spelling

Just for size comparison this bass was caught in 2004 by Bobby Capri jr. Caught in a kayak live lining bunker.  Weighed on certified scale in NJ. The reported 58lb bass is bigger than Capris. Its possible that kayak angler got a good weight with the boga. Looks legit to me.

9CAA2F85-E64E-4130-9D46-7F4126E49209.jpeg

7 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Just for size comparison this bass was caught in 2004 by Bobby Capri jr. Caught in a kayak live lining bunker.  Weighed on certified scale in NJ. The reported 58lb bass is bigger than Capris. Its possible that kayak angler got a good weight with the boga. Looks legit to me.

9CAA2F85-E64E-4130-9D46-7F4126E49209.jpeg

It could be bigger than 58 lb.

Bobby said "maxed out my 60lb boga pretty much was right at 58, 59 lbs ".

1 hour ago, Oakman said:

I'll say it, that fish should have never come out of the water, much less been hung from the jaw on a boga.

If you're gonna target pre spawn fish at least have the decency to put the fish's well being before your ego.

But then he wouldn’t have his 5 minutes of fame.  What’s more important?

The charts say that beauty is 18-19 years old, and 50-52 inches in length. Fish that big are almost always female. And that big cow belly says she’s heading north to spawn in the headwaters of the Hudson.

edit- I, and others thanked the gent for releasing that cow, but I totally forgot the new slot that protects NJ fish > 38”.

Edited by cheech
Edit

1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

coming from the guy holding a dink in his pic....never figure out why theres so many haters on this site...way to many dont do this shouldnt do that types...how about nice fish nice release..dude just got a fish of a lifetime..unless he has that pic  everyone he knows thinks its a fish story..good for him congrats on a fatty....all u haters know youd do the same dam thing...myself included..for those so worried about stripers, sell your gear and join a scup site (lol) instead of a striper site..you want to make a difference stop fishing them.....remember the old rule of thumb...''if u have nothing good to say then say nothing at all''....tight lines to all and hope everyone has a safe and successful  season...once again congrats to him on one hell of a fish

You've made a lot of good points willcodfish......mea culpa.

I think....IMHO.....a lot of this finger pointing really isn't our fault (kayak anglers, shore guys) 

as much as it's against commercial fishermen in regards to the numbers of Wild Striped Bass.

Yeah we as anglers should be more contentious for these WSB to be able to breed in the Spring.

I for one have seen and felt the pain in regards to the numbers of legal bass taking a nose dive big time!

There's really zero reason that a few recreational anglers can't grill or fillets a few WSB per season. 

How come federally there hasn't been a plan in the last decade ($) to give this prized species a bunch of help to get there numbers back up to par.....they can do it for River Herring but not SB?

That's BS!!!!! 

It's all about the EVIL Commercial $

We need to educate the anglers (our friends) and band together to make a change before it's too late.

The clock is really, really ticking!  Tick Tock People!!!  Once again .....mea culpa!!!   Fly

Edited by flylikabird

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Awesome catch. That bass would have beat out the kayak fishing record of 54lbs from Chessy. Obviously he released his it. Coild have been boga or he did the formula. 

If anyone knows of one larger than this 58 I would like to know and see it. 

The biggest I witnessed was a 63 years ago out of Rock Harbor  and have seen several over 50   My pb is only 42 lbs boat caught, from shore a 38 is the best I could do. Hopefully I can top that but things ain’t looking good for the future of stripers or Kones

Edited by Kones1

19 mins ago, Kones1 said:

The biggest I witnessed was a 63 years ago out of Rock Harbor  and have seen several over 50   My pb is only 42 lbs boat caught, from shore a 38 is the best I could do. Hopefully I can top that but things ain’t looking good for the future of stripers or Kones

Nice from yak! Pics? Like to see that.

Edited by The Riddler

Congrats bro on a fish of a lifetime!! Wether you released her or kept her that's your decision because it's YOUR fish... I would never tell an angler what to do with their fish unless of course it's a short, out of season or poaching. A legit fish that makes you happier than a faget in boystown is yours to do what you wish....

My only Boga was lost on its maiden voyage to a decent chain pick before I realized the need for tether (leash).