fishfinder401

Budget 3wt reel recomendations

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I originally locked at the reddington and the clicker was unbearable to me.  Ended up witha 2/3 wt echo ion.  Quite/smooth clicker, adjustable drag and budget friendly.  I cant stand loud and metalic sounding clickers. 

I've been using the Orvis Clearwater Classic II for years, you can find them on flea bay for $40-$50.  The other reel I like is the Lamson Liquid

the southbend finalist was a cheap version of the medalist.  similar but not as robust.  the medalist is so classic and inexpensive, i would look for a 1492 or 1494.

3 hours ago, srm413 said:

the southbend finalist was a cheap version of the medalist.  similar but not as robust.  the medalist is so classic and inexpensive, i would look for a 1492 or 1494.

If I can find one in decent shape ill definitly grab it, beside the auction site is there anywhere to look?

I would, and have, gone with both an Orvis Battenkill and a Piscifun Sword II (get the Piscifun off of Amazon).

Orvis guarantees are hard to beat.

Redington drift. Super light, click and pawl reel, with beautiful machining. 

Teton classic is a heavier and more durable reel, but I love mine. 

Posted (edited)

On 4/2/2021 at 8:12 AM, ccb said:

Budget?  3wt.  All you need is a Medalist.  

Yup. Or a martin tuna can. Just got a martin for $5 at a flea market. I took it out today for the first time. Was using a 6’6” eagleclaw 3/4 and swingin a partridge and peacock. About as enjoyable as it gets. 
Dunno where you are but pretty sure every flea market or antique barn in the NE has either an old martin or one of the “ist” reels.

I know you don’t want a clicker, but thats what this size rod wants. 

Edited by chuckbucktail

I've always opted for the lightest reels I could find for my trout rods. Simple spring and pawl reels work fine on light trout rods. The Medalist reels are great workhorses but a little heavier than I'd like on a 3 weight.