fishfinder401

Budget 3wt reel recomendations

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

So, I know this size isnt particularly demanding, but I cant decide on what reel to get for a 3wt glass blank I am building. I was looking at the reddington ID, cabelas prestige 2, and the white river intruder or dogwood.

Also opwn to other options, just don't wanted one that relies on a clicker... The sound annoys me. Any opinion or insights on those options?

I actually just picked up a redington zero, size 2/3 (paired with a under 6' 3 wt cabelas glass rod) - and while I have used it very little thus far, can tell you it feels great as well as sturdy. I first considered this reel after doing some research and finding this is reel was often voted as the best sub $100 reel out there...which for as much as I'm willing to splurge for an Abel, Hatch or Nautilus for saltwater, I'm that adamant to sticking with a budget approach for such an ultra light freshwater outfit...the one thing I will say though (which will probably be viewed by an equal number of fishermen as a positive or negative) is that it has a loud clicker

the orvis battenkill reels are very nice for the money, with a great warranty.

I’d say Ll bean pocket water but it’s click and pawl. Also just went to the Bean website to look at the price, not there. Are they no longer making the Pocket Water?

1 hour ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

How about an old US made Medalist 1494 - pretty quiet reels and a classic look for not much money. 

Im definitely not opposed to old reels, ill look into them. I have a large medalist I used in salt with kind of drag it adjust on the rim with a littlw knob. Any idea if that was made in smaller sizes too?

And thanks everyone for the input so far

Posted (edited)

The Redington Zero click is very plastic sounding, the Battenkill is more pleasant if you don't mind the older looks.

Edited by changed

2 mins ago, changed said:

The Redington Zero click is very plastic sounding, the Battenkill is more pleasant if you don't mind the older looks.

I dont mind older looks, but if I can I am trying to avoid a clicker style reel. 

The other option I am considering is a smaller automatic reel. I know a lot of people hate them, but I have loved the few I have used. Only problem is yhe only one small enough to not seem crazy on a 3wt is acting up... Its a shakespear OK 1821. Has anyone else ran into any smaller automatics? (They can be really useful when hitting tons of bank spots or in a kayak)

I've been buying some of the low priced Chinese reels from Amazon lately.

They perform just as well as my expensive reels with the possible exception of the drag for really large fish.

Most of these are simply the same as the US brand, which are mostly made in China.

Even those mad in the US use a lot of Chinese parts.

The Chinese rods are getting good as well.

Before the covid I took two Chinese rods, a Winston, and an Orvis equally rigged to a TU meeting.

I had a number of guys blindfolded and try to pick out the Chinese rods.

Only one or two of the most experienced guys could tell which rods were which.

2 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

Im definitely not opposed to old reels, ill look into them. I have a large medalist I used in salt with kind of drag it adjust on the rim with a littlw knob. Any idea if that was made in smaller sizes too?

And thanks everyone for the input so far

1494 is the smallest without the click-pawl and should be fine for a 3wt. The smallest is the 1492 - it has the click-pawl, but it isn't too loud.  

19 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I've been buying some of the low priced Chinese reels from Amazon lately.

They perform just as well as my expensive reels with the possible exception of the drag for really large fish.

Most of these are simply the same as the US brand, which are mostly made in China.

Even those mad in the US use a lot of Chinese parts.

The Chinese rods are getting good as well.

Before the covid I took two Chinese rods, a Winston, and an Orvis equally rigged to a TU meeting.

I had a number of guys blindfolded and try to pick out the Chinese rods.

Only one or two of the most experienced guys could tell which rods were which.

Oh that gives some interesting options. Any recomendations from those brands? Im guessing some brands have betted quality control than others

Posted (edited)

27 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

Oh that gives some interesting options. Any recomendations from those brands? Im guessing some brands have betted quality control than others

The Z Aventik, M MAXIMUMCATCH, and Piscifun are better quality and compete with the lower end of US brands.

Corny names for sure but the Chinese have learned making the premium US brands and are starting to turn out some nice products.

I'm not going to use them for steelhead but for typical trout, panfish, and the small pond bass they are fine.  (Reels)

I've caught larger trout (18" to 24") on their fly rods.

They are even making headway into bass rods/reels and surf rods.

The bass equipment compares well with known brands.

The surf rods are more hit or miss.  

Having worked with Chinese factories I think the better ones are the ones that have learned by making the better US brands.

EDIT: BTW, some of the Chinese fly lines are pretty good as well.  I've got $15 Piscfun lines that perform equally to my RIOs.

You might tell a difference on long casts but I do some mountain stream fishing where a line can get beat up in a hurry.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

9 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

The Z Aventik, M MAXIMUMCATCH, and Piscifun are better quality and compete with the lower end of US brands.

Corny names for sure but the Chinese have learned making the premium US brands and are starting to turn out some nice products.

I'm not going to use them for steelhead but for typical trout, panfish, and the small pond bass they are fine.  (Reels)

I've caught larger trout (18" to 24") on their fly rods.

They are even making headway into bass rods/reels and surf rods.

The bass equipment compares well with known brands.

The surf rods are more hit or miss.  

Having worked with Chinese factories I think the better ones are the ones that have learned by making the better US brands.

Good to know thanks! There are so many chinese brands its hard to know which actually care about making a good product and which are just making things as cheap as possible