bob_G

Interesting rock find

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I first found this boulder in 1967, while in high school, deer hunting in Barre.  It took me 35 years to relocate it, while turkey hunting.

The spherical boulder is precariously perched on the edge of a small rock outcropping.   It could be that this was it's resting place at the end of the ice age.  But upon closer examination, it appears as though the hand of man may have a played a role in it's location.

At the base of the rock are several small wedge shaped pieces of granite that appear purposely wedged in place to secure it from rolling. The dimensions are about 6' tall and equally as wide.

I always wondered if this could have had some Native American significance?

FB_IMG_1617206569694.jpg

FB_IMG_1617206535142.jpg

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

I first found this boulder in 1967, while in high school, deer hunting in Barre.  It took me 35 years to relocate it, while turkey hunting.

The spherical boulder is precariously perched on the edge of a small rock outcropping.   It could be that this was it's resting place at the end of the ice age.  But upon closer examination, it appears as though the hand of man may have a played a role in it's location.

At the base of the rock are several small wedge shaped pieces of granite that appear purposely wedged in place to secure it from rolling. The dimensions are about 6' tall and equally as wide.

I always wondered if this could have had some Native American significance?

FB_IMG_1617206569694.jpg

FB_IMG_1617206535142.jpg

I believe some "science dude" (or dudess) needs to measure that thing for tolerances to determine if the shape is natural or not. Real/perfect symmetry is somewhat rare in nature....

In that regard, it does look man-made/shaped in the pictures.

25 mins ago, bob_G said:

The spherical boulder is precariously perched on the edge of a small rock outcropping. 

Whatever it is, however it got there, it's beautiful & mysterious.  Nice find!  

I'm going with triceratops egg.

Just a suggestion that it could simply be a "glacial erratic" - if you google the term and look at images there are countless examples.  That rock is so unique that some geologists must know about it.

48 mins ago, shuyak said:

Just a suggestion that it could simply be a "glacial erratic" - if you google the term and look at images there are countless examples.  That rock is so unique that some geologists must know about it.

Yup, glacial erratic.   

Without getting into the weeds, a quick google search says........”spherical boulders are molded over millions or even billions of years by a natural long-misunderstood geological phenomenon called concretion”.   

25 mins ago, Joe G said:

Without getting into the weeds, a quick google search says........”spherical boulders are molded over millions or even billions of years by a natural long-misunderstood geological phenomenon called concretion”.   

This goes a step further in that besides it's apparent symmetry, it appears to be mounted on a setting....

Rolling Rock in Fall River comes to mind but it is in a city , not in the woods. ? Nice find. Excellent photo op with family and pets. Thanks.

wampanoag indian its a stone  sigh its says  go home you bunch of pencil head white foke  this was a nice  neighborhood  before you guys moved in     

Reminded me of 'dinosaur rock' near where my mom grew up in PA. We used to climb all over it as kids - it was sturdy. Can't believe teenagers haven't wrecked it by now!

Dinosaur rock.png