Walleyemaster413

2021 Shad Fishing

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

1 min ago, kuro said:

Had anyone tried kayak fishing in Merrimack for Shad? 

Yes; last year when the water was extraordinarily low. Id rather do it with a bigger boat because getting shad that tend to perform a seizure onto the small boat sucks. By god just do not do it right now.

8 mins ago, Blugill said:

Yes; last year when the water was extraordinarily low. Id rather do it with a bigger boat because getting shad that tend to perform a seizure onto the small boat sucks. By god just do not do it right now.

Thanks I will just stick to shore for this one. 

It's fun to see you northern guys enjoying the shad run.  Thanks for the great pictures. I fish for them not far from Philly in the Delaware, Schuylkill and Lehigh Rivers. (Hope I'm not spot burning there.) We've had fish being caught down here since the first week in March, though not by me. I was at the Lehigh yesterday afternoon and it was running extremely thin.  The fish were there and willing to hit, but it worried me until I got that first hit. Have a great season!

I fished at one of the popular spots along the Merrimack River today but got nothing at all. Only one guy caught shad. The rest of the people (~5-6) did not catch any. It appears 2021 might be another year with nearly the lowest shad count.