Walleyemaster413

2021 Shad Fishing

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

if i were you find the new bridge crossing the connecticut rv at the holyoke dam . its safe parking maybe ? take a 6-7ft spinning rod with back bone  and a good trout reel 6-8 lb test line hip boots or waiters a hand net 

and lots of shad darts from 1/16 to 1/4 oz also willow leaf jigs  where u can find them   also hope the wolf packs of shad r moving 

People have been in the usual spots towards the dam, but I haven't checked if they're catching. As mentioned, I'd be surprised if they were.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Blugill said:

The Merrimack is producing. Still not in crazy numbers with it being still early in the season, but they're here.

Good to hear this. How many did you catch? how about other anglers? 

Edited by shadmerrimack

4 mins ago, shadmerrimack said:

Good to hear this. How many did you catch? how about other anglers? Rock Village? 

First in to say, "Spot Burn!".

Pretty much just saying " they're in at the Merrimack" guarantees a traffic jam in certain places. Actually naming them? Bad call.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, shadmerrimack said:

Good to hear this. How many did you catch? how about other anglers? 

Over the weekend I was averaging 4 shad a day; all of them were within a window of two hours, either mid-day, or sunrise/set. On the other hand, a guy was lighting them up a few days ago, at least twenty. He wades out there, sits on his little stool in the current no matter the spot, and wrecks havoc on the schools while everyone gets skunked. See him every other year. Absolute madman.

Yeah, like mikez said, these are the threads you have to revise to make extra sure you did not just let go of the specific spot and thus your parking spot for the month.

Edited by Blugill
second reply+minor

Man I can't wait to catch shad and tell people exactly where I'm catching them so I'll finally have more people to fish with. I hate when it gets too lonely out there.

Only 2 fish in 4hrs yesterday...

Water level keeps dropping and the shad are holding in deep down river holes waiting for more flow.  

Bring on the rain!!!!!

It was busy at one of the popular spots over the weekend.  Only saw 2 or 3 caught by half a dozen guys Friday. I got one and broke off another Saturday in the span of 10 minutes. No other fish caught (to my eyes). Had the place to myself yesterday. The water was way down and the wind made it tough to keep in contact.