Offset Second Guide on Acid Wrap

Rate this topic

MiguelEastono

On 5/12/2021 at 2:05 AM, RockRonin said:

You missed the target, but hit the tree. They offset the 2nd guide to offset the rod's inclination to twist to the left under a heavy load. I have one laid out just like that. I picked up two 1 gallon jugs of water and the reel and rod stayed perfectly positioned, no twist at all. The reel stayed right up top no matter how much I tried to make the thing flip over.

Thanks, that make sense.  Do you guys know if you need to set the spline differently to achieve the balance on the black rod?  I am really interested in trying this.  

1 min ago, Ajhugh said:

Thanks, that make sense.  Do you guys know if you need to set the spline differently to achieve the balance on the black rod?  I am really interested in trying this.  

Sorry, I buy rods, I don't build them. Other people on this forum would be better able to help you with that.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:36 AM, ZAFisher said:

They are pretty much the same with the 2nd guide rotated in opposite direction of intended spiral and then too many guides to get it back under.

I'd say being different for the sake of being different....

Spiral Wrap Comparison Mytho vs Jewel.jpg

Wait, is the first guide on the black rod offset to the right or are the running guides off set to the right?  I think that is what is throwing me off.  This picture seems like the first guide is not offset and the running guides are offset to the right.

12 hours ago, Ajhugh said:

Wait, is the first guide on the black rod offset to the right or are the running guides off set to the right?  I think that is what is throwing me off.  This picture seems like the first guide is not offset and the running guides are offset to the right.

Either the black rod has its runners and tip top off centre by accident; or its just a parallax error in the photo;

• 2 weeks later...

So there is a good reason for this type of layout. Synit started this copious years ago. They dubbed it the antacid wrap. The reasoning that they had for it was when speed jigging or for SPJ in this instance was exactly like @Billy 40 explained. It was to keep the line centered as it came onto the reel. With out that guide offset the line tends to favor one side of the reel. By offsetting that 2nd guide it helps recenter the line as it comes through the stripper guide and back onto the reel. 

Guys should probably should do a bit more research before jumping to conclusions about it being a sales gimmick or other kind of BS. Thumbing the line back on the reel with a blank that's a thin as a pencil while holding the rod at the reel seat isnt going to work so well but you guys know what you're talking about without searching anything. 

On 5/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, Billy 40 said:

IT's to keep the line level retrieving

Yup, this, but it's usually the stripper guide slightly to the right

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

On 5/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, Billy 40 said:

IT's to keep the line level retrieving

Yup, this, but it's usually the stripper guide slightly to the right

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

1 hour ago, seed420 said:

So there is a good reason for this type of layout. Synit started this copious years ago. They dubbed it the antacid wrap. The reasoning that they had for it was when speed jigging

I understand the concept.

For my own purposes I think the centred stripper is perhaps unnecessary.

Why not just start with the hard right rotated guide that pinches the line as the stripper?

I'll satisfy my own curiosity

Antacid rod.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher