MiguelEastono

Offset Second Guide on Acid Wrap

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I've seen a few pictures of SPJ rods recently that are acid wrapped with the second guide slightly offset in the opposite direction of the spiral (see pictures). Out of curiosity, what's the thought process/function behind this?

IMG-0139.jpg

IMG-0138.jpg

I bet they added the guide closest to the grip in a "oh ****" moment after static loading.  

guy in charge - "...dont forget to the static load that thing"

guy who built it "...oh sh*t"

guy in charge " just put another guide to keep the damn line off the blank, smfh."

Can't imagine the benefit, the offset is usually to ensure the reel won't pack line to one side. It's usually done to the first guide, than start your spiral. Rich Forhan wrote a book on the spiral for bass angler's, Powerhand Baitcasting.

I always used the Dale Clemens description and I match the guides to the individual reel that's really how you get it right. Reel height, spool size, and width not to mention the exact line you will be running. I know there are multiple methods to do it but the above version seems odd. I think it better to get the line under the blank is as few guides as possible.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Interesting, never seen this.   

The first rod makes no sense but the white one looks more balanced side to side.

I would love to try this under load or feel the balance fishing it with no load.    

Or, maybe there is a casting accuracy benefit to this.

Edited by Ajhugh

13 hours ago, Ajhugh said:

The first rod makes no sense but the white one looks more balanced side to side.

They are pretty much the same with the 2nd guide rotated in opposite direction of intended spiral and then too many guides to get it back under.

I'd say being different for the sake of being different....

Spiral Wrap Comparison Mytho vs Jewel.jpg

On 3/31/2021 at 11:29 AM, MiguelEastono said:

I've seen a few pictures of SPJ rods recently that are acid wrapped with the second guide slightly offset in the opposite direction of the spiral (see pictures). Out of curiosity, what's the thought process/function behind this?

IMG-0139.jpg

IMG-0138.jpg

I have a Temple Reef Levitate that has the offset 2nd guide. They do it to stabilize the rod. No matter how hard you pull, the rod never wants to lay over. All the other guides twist to the left, the 2nd guide's lean to the right offsets them. If you have the rod, go ahead and attach your line to and try to pick something heavy up.... Dead stable, right? That because of the offset 2nd guide.

On 3/31/2021 at 6:14 PM, tbush said:

I bet they added the guide closest to the grip in a "oh ****" moment after static loading.  

guy in charge - "...dont forget to the static load that thing"

guy who built it "...oh sh*t"

guy in charge " just put another guide to keep the damn line off the blank, smfh."

No. You're wrong. The offset is designed to combat the rod's inclination to twist to the left.

13 hours ago, Ajhugh said:

Interesting, never seen this.   

I would love to try this under load or feel the balance fishing it with no load.    

Or, maybe there is a casting accuracy benefit to this.

You missed the target, but hit the tree. They offset the 2nd guide to offset the rod's inclination to twist to the left under a heavy load. I have one laid out just like that. I picked up two 1 gallon jugs of water and the reel and rod stayed perfectly positioned, no twist at all. The reel stayed right up top no matter how much I tried to make the thing flip over.

4 hours ago, RockRonin said:

No. You're wrong. The offset is designed to combat the rod's inclination to twist to the left.

So you're saying the rod is conservative???

lololololol-

This idea is a hair-splitting gimik and RockRonin Mc'Dingus cant wait to prove to everyone how correct it is... Congratulations!  The cool-aid must be delicious if Temple Reef says it is..

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Centre-right

looks like a marketing gimmick to me. if done properly that problem doesnt exist. if it did it would make more sense to offset the guide under the rod past 0 degrees. i  doubt that direction change above the blank will do anything anyway

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

looks like a marketing gimmick to me. if done properly that problem doesnt exist. if it did it would make more sense to offset the guide under the rod past 0 degrees. i  doubt that direction change above the blank will do anything anyway

Koerek

We have a local brand here in SA who have copied this odd idea or at least had their SP rods made in the same factory....

I have been asked to please correct the layouts and use 1 slightly offset; 1 bumper and the rest underneath.

For heavens' sakes, they are jigging rods no one is casting a rod like this

Edited by ZAFisher