coastalfreak

Short rods for the yak.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Finally have a chance to bring my kayak out here to Louisiana. All of my inshore rods are in the 7 foot range. 

Now that I have a lot more accessibility, I plan on tying up to some abandoned docks/bridges/piers etc. and dropping live shrimp or minnows on bottom for sheepshead, black drum, redfish, and speckled trout mainly. Other species are bound to come along too lol. Think EliasV style fishing. 

Given the environment and it’s close quarters, I want something nice and short but with plenty of backbone to keep fish in. I’ve taken a very good look at the 5’11” Sheepshead Rod from Toadfish and it seems great, but I’ve heard that Extra Fast Action Rods like that one tear hooks out of soft mouths like those on speckled trout. I’m concerned that it’s too stiff for what I want to do. 

Any other suggestions? Will probably purchase a new 2500-3000 spinner like a Nasci, BG, or Battle III. 

Bass Pro has plain looking 4’6” Power Plus Jigging spinning rods for $29.99 on the site. In store they are have even nicer version of the same rod with gold metallic wraps for $24.99. I have both and they have bottom fishing actions that I use with 20-25lb mono. Never tried in a kayak, but I sneak them into carryon (plane) from time to time. Also I use them with conventional reels as the spin guides are smallish.

Shorter isn’t better. You want a rod that’s long enough to be able to swing a fish around the front of the yak if it swims under you or changes direction. 

Two or three years ago I posted pretty much the same questions on rod length for my kayak. Turns out that I really like 7’ to 7’3” for both freshwater and saltwater. I had planned to shorten the butt. After trying the rods unaltered I decided to leave them alone. Z-Man above makes a valid point.

I prefer a longer blank. 7' minimal. My yak is 15' so sometimes i need to work the rod tip around my yak's perimeter when hooked up. Short rods are tougher in those situations to manage direction. 

I tog in some pretty tight spots, and still like my 7' rods. Path of least resistance is to give the 7 footers a go, and if you think 7' is PITA then get something shorter.

8 hours ago, z-man said:

Shorter isn’t better. You want a rod that’s long enough to be able to swing a fish around the front of the yak if it swims under you or changes direction. 

This one ^^.  When the large drum hits, being tied up to a dock or piling can be problematic too.

4 mins ago, cheech said:

On a yak short is good,.....for the rod handle.

For me, it has to be less than 17 inches or I'll be banging it on the hull and scaring off the fish.

I recently had the opportunity to build a custom rod for a local avid yaker.  My build parameters were 7' 8-15lb 1/4-5/8 oz.  This rod will be used to target stripped bass, fluke, bluefish and sheepshead in the backwaters of southern NJ.  The rear grip length was key- *on a up locking DPS style seat, the rear grip length was 7" from the threads to the butt.    This gives you an approximate 10" butt once the reel is mounted.  

7’ at a minimum on my kayak and I’m currently building a 7’9 for the yak as well.  My kayak is just over 14’ and the first fish that ran underneath made it very clear that being able to clear the bow from a seated position was the first consideration in rod length for the yak.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

You fish in the south, for reds, trout and occasional flounder, your casts need to be far in shallow water. You’re not fishing for  deeper water stripers that you can park on top of. You want a 6.5’ to 7’. 99% of your reds are going to be in the 20-30” range. For the few times you go for the bulls, you’ll need a dedicated rod that will allow you bring them in quickly to release quickly. And for the 2-3 weeks you occasional target sheepies, just suck it up and use your more versatile 6-7’ - it’ll work fine.

About the shorter handle rods. Normally I thought Meh. I owned a couple including a Lami and Manley. I just picked up Mojo kayak and used in GA and SC for past few days and I was blown away (my other rods are Legend Inshores). It cast GREAT, fought trout well (no reds), and let’s face it, it’s cheap. Have it paired with 2500 BG ( legends have FL’s), which is a great combo. 

Edited by Jason B

4 hours ago, Jason B said:

You fish in the south, for reds, trout and occasional flounder, you’re casts need to be far in shallow water. You’re not fishing for  deeper water stripers that you can park on top of. You want a 6.5’ to 7’. 99% of your reds are going to be in the 20” range. For the few times you go for the bulls, you’ll need a dedicated rod that will allow you bring them in quickly to release quickly. And for the 2-3 weeks you occasional target sheepies, just suck it up and use your more versatile 6-7’ - it’ll work fine.

About the shorter handle rods. Normally I thought Meh. I owned a couple including a Lami and Manley. I just picked up Mojo kayak and used in GA and SC for past few days and I was blown away (my other rods are Legend Inshores). It cast GREAT, fought trout well (no reds), and let’s face it, it’s cheap. Have it paired with 2500 BG ( legends have FL’s), which is a great combo. 

Thanks Jason. Definitely will check out the Mojo. 

I would check out the tiger lite rods from Shakespeare. Also some of the rods in the Bigwater series too. I think between these two series of rods anyone can fi d one that fits their needs for boat fishing and kayak fishing.