Eye_dock

Eatons neck/northport dock n dine?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Norwalk ct guy with a 17ft boat. Nearly half of my boat fishing days I always end up on your side.

Any recs/worthwhile options to dock and eat in the area? I am in desperate need of a get out of jail free card next time I start getting upset after another spoiled drift when she gets hung up on the bottom.

She caught on to my scheme of tying just too light a bucktail. 

You would have a plenty of nice and good places to dine in Northport.

Just don't know about docking.

You're a braver man than I, to cross the Sound in 17'. I'd want 20+ and more horsepower and gas than is consistent with 17'.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Norwalk islands jet way out, I get to the triangle in 12 mins 115 hp 

also most importantly it’s a whaler (dauntless) and a few years old. Huge tank relatively speaking and the hull withstands a decent amount.

that said, there are always a few days i turn right back around.

Edited by Eye_dock

On 4/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, BrianBM said:

You're a braver man than I, to cross the Sound in 17'. I'd want 20+ and more horsepower and gas than is consistent with 17'.

Used to cross from Greenwich to Lloyd's Neck on a regular basis in a 15-foot tri-hull and a 33 and then 40 hp. back in the '60s and '70s, and ran from Greenwich to Mt. Misery Shoal in a 17-foot Seacraft with a 115 after that.

When I was in grade school, my father and his friiends would fish mid-Sound and farther across in `14-foot wooden rowboats with 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 hp outboards.

And Rudy's Boat Rental in Byram, CT used to provide small (14 o4 15 foot) inboard skiffs that we'd see in mid-Sound and on the North Shore on a regular basis.

So long as you keep an eye out on weather--partidcularly summer cold fronts--you'll be OK.

We're used to bigger boats today, but back in the '60s, when the transition from wood to fiberglass and rowboats to runabouts was still under way, the 14-foot MFG was probably the most popular boat on the Connecticut side of the Sound, and folks crossed with them on a regular basis without any problems.

18 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Well, color me as cautious. Or paranoid.

It's just that we're spoiled today.

When I was a boy--I'm talking grade-school age--the town dock in Greenwich didn't allow boats longer than 18 feet--anything longer had to be on a mooring.  Most of the boats were either 14-foot rowboats or runabouts of the same size, and people ran them everywhere.  Also a lot of 13-foot Boston Whalers, although Whalers were seen as sort of expensive.

Slowly, as outboards grew more powerful--still remember when my father bought the 15-footer in '68, OMC was proudly announcing the first oiutboard over 100 hp--boats got bigger, too.  Now, anything under 20 feet is consiudered on the small side.

So we've forgotten how capable the smaller boats really are, provided the operator doesn't do something stupid.  Now, too many people substitute boat size and electronics for common sense and boathandling.  Yet when you look at the mishaps that occur on the water, most of the fatalities and injuries are still related to speed and stupidity, not boat siz-ine- fact, it seems that larger boats are implicated more often than smaller ones.  Think of the boat that capsized on the Fourth of July somewhere off the North Shore a few years ago, because too many people crammed onto the flybridge made it topheavy, and a couple of kids in the cabin drowned.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:28 AM, CWitek said:

So we've forgotten how capable the smaller boats really are, provided the operator doesn't do something stupid. 

So true.

Everything, suddenly, become "have to be" big.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, Eye_dock said:

Yeah to be honest The diciest parts are avoiding the oversized knuckleheads that think they’re invincible because they have radar

Almost got taken out in mid sound by like a 40 footer on autopilot.  We were on anchor in the middle of the day.  Bastard passed at running speed 10 feet off our boat.  After the near miss, the wake almost tossed us from the boat.  Scary....

They do have docking in Northport at the Town dock but not sure as to the rules. In Northport Harbor there's a dozen or so restaurants of various prices and cuisine. Way back in Northport Harbor at Brittania Marina there's Whale's Tale dockside dining, the Purple Elephant and a brewery. I think they allow tie ups.

In Huntington Harbor you have Prime. High End dining and waterside eatery. A lot of rock heads pulling in there with big Sea Rays blasting cheesy music. You can tie up, call the dockmaster.