semperfish88

Herring

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

my local run isnt even a mile from the bay to the pond, and its skinny......so the osprey can really work the heck out of it... I sat for a half hour today watching two osprey dive bomb them.....i could watch them for hours. 

On 4/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, semperfish88 said:

Or seals...  they’ve been creating some pretty good “false blitzes”  in the bay all week... birds and fish flying all over the place... gets the heart pounding! ... untill a giant head pops out of the mess

If you wanna see a false blitz, dump a bag of popcorn in the Canal and watch the birds and the fisherman go ape ****. Good times. 

truth... however in RI, I find hand-crushed Doritos (chili cheese nachos) works best on clear days...and Lays, Original on over-cast days ... during Albie season its effectiveness is...unparalleled...

On 4/13/2021 at 7:20 AM, Kooky said:

Dump them on the outgoing tide of a Bway in the fall and watch the mayhem begin!

Popcorn blitz. :laugh:

Hate to change the topic as popcorn is my favorite snack; however, I was somewhat surprised to come upon a school of herring in the Pawcatuck River yesterday. These fish were about 25 river miles north of Westerly. I know they traverse the river to reach spawning grounds, but I was impressed by this natural phenomenon, nevertheless.

The herring run in the Taunton river is always mind blowing to me...  not just the sheer numbers. But the length of the watershed they traverse is impressive to say the least...  Though Westerly to Kingston  is no puddle jump either, And I can’t imagine they stop there.