semperfish88

Herring

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Took a stroll to my local run this morning just prior to sunrise. Low tide, saw about 50 seagulls going nuts... walked out on the delta and started seeing dead fish everywhere... quite a few still alive just stuck on the shallow outflow. 

after throwing back as many living fish as I could, counted 20 dead herring.,. 1 dead pogie, and 1 white Perch. 

I did my best to revive the perch as it was still somewhat alive, and it did rebound a little. moved her to calmer water... but I highly doubt it lived. 

Obviously die off accurs naturally, espiecally with migratory fish. I’m Just curious if this is typical for herring around here, and if anyone else sees this occur regularly or if it is maybe something worth reporting. (Not that there’s anything anyone can do about.) 

The perch I could see as just being post spawn die off, the random pogie, I’m not so sure about, Seemed heathy (other then the being dead part)  My guess is maybe the strong tides trapped the fish in the shallows and the cold air this morning may have stunned them... but that’s just my theory. Just curious what others may think. But judging by the seagull activity,  My guess it there were a lot more then 20 dead fish before I got there. 

just seemed odd to find such a variety and quantity of dead fish in such a small area... so I thought I’d throw it out there for discussion. 

9675BABC-9E6F-404A-86FC-5C88FB32E7C4.jpeg

BAD797F9-6CC0-4381-B843-61F36DF66111.jpeg

IMG_4305.MOV

I wonder if they moved into shallow water during the big moon high  tide and then got caught in pools that dried up with the very low tide with moon.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

I wonder if they moved into shallow water during the big moon high  tide and then got caught in pools that dried up with the very low tide with moon.

That would have been my guess

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Or, they were chased all the way to their demise. Fish don't commit suicide unless they are in danger or the water has gone bad and they can't survive. A little early for getting chased so we will have to believe the tide theory. 

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

that was an exceptional tide, even by moon tide standards....some spots were the lowest ive ever personally seen. 

25 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Or, they were chased all the way to their demise. Fish don't commit suicide unless they are in danger or the water has gone bad and they can't survive. A little early for getting chased so we will have to believe the tide theory. 

Exactly if this was late april/early may i would buy into the chased on shore story.

The tide was so low in the pawcatuck this morning I was seeing underwater structures that I’ve never seen before sticking out. They might have gotten beached or chased by something and then beached.

I very rarely see mass die-offs of river herring like that (bunker are another matter). Given the time of year and the astronomical tide cycle, I have to think it's some combo of an extreme low tide and other conditions stranding them. 

The optimist in me supports the “chased” theory, (and I will continue to test that theory :bucktooth:

But the realist in me says it was just a rapid tide change... they probably just beached themselves swimming “upstream”into rubble. There pretty determined little bastards...

the pogie is still odd...

and the perch a strange coincident? 

Or seals...  they’ve been creating some pretty good “false blitzes”  in the bay all week... birds and fish flying all over the place... gets the heart pounding! ... untill a giant head pops out of the mess

11 hours ago, semperfish88 said:

Or seals...  they’ve been creating some pretty good “false blitzes”  in the bay all week... birds and fish flying all over the place... gets the heart pounding! ... untill a giant head pops out of the mess

You may be right about it being a false blitz, mainly because it's so early. 

I  have seen seals pop up in the middle of actual blitzes though. Not so much in RI but up in Maine I've had seals and stripers feeding on the same schools of large bunker.