jm415

SWA 10K or 14K

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I need help deciding between the two. I know each are designed for different types of fishing, but I don't want to drop the money for 2 gosas. I do offshore jigging in about 300-400 feet as well as plugging and dunking from shore in Hawaii. 

Would the benefit of having a lower gear ratio for deep jigging in the 10k outweigh the small disadvantage if I used it for plugging and dunking? 10k has 40" retrieve while 14k has 53".

If you did all 3 types of fishing and could only choose one which would you take?

I appreciate the help.

Edited by jm415

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll say that I've only ever heard of needing those super fast retrieves (>50") for targeting rooster fish and maybe albacore.  I use 40" retrieve reels very frequently and find that they are plenty fast for any plugging I've done.  I would also say that the 10k is gonna be less fatiguing to use.

To me, your dilemma looks like this...

10k - more likely to fit your general fishing habits, lighter weight, cheaper(?)

14k - more suited for a style of fishing that you do less frequently, heavier, higher line capacity

Seems like an easy choice to me.  Get the 10k first, knowing that you'll be able to continue jigging effectively. 

Then, see how it performs in the surf - might be just fine, might be a little slow? 

If it's completely useless on the beach, buy a used reel Gosa later on. 

In my experience, buying "jack of all...master of none" gear has often been more hassle and led me to spend more money at the end of the day than if I had just gone with the best option from the outset. 

Edited by cbinvb

What type of plugging from shore? Most of the high end reels designed for surf fishing have retrieves on the slower end, like 40 ipt or less. If you’re popping for tuna, roosters, etc, then the higher retrieve ratio of the 14k is advantageous. 

3 hours ago, cbinvb said:

I'll say that I've only ever heard of needing those super fast retrieves (>50") for targeting rooster fish and maybe albacore.  I use 40" retrieve reels very frequently and find that they are plenty fast for any plugging I've done.  I would also say that the 10k is gonna be less fatiguing to use.

To me, your dilemma looks like this...

10k - more likely to fit your general fishing habits, lighter weight, cheaper(?)

14k - more suited for a style of fishing that you do less frequently, heavier, higher line capacity

Seems like an easy choice to me.  Get the 10k first, knowing that you'll be able to continue jigging effectively. 

Then, see how it performs in the surf - might be just fine, might be a little slow? 

If it's completely useless on the beach, buy a used reel Gosa later on. 

In my experience, buying "jack of all...master of none" gear has often been more hassle and led me to spend more money at the end of the day than if I had just gone with the best option from the outset. 

Thanks for the insight. I guess I would be willing to sacrifice some retrieve speed if that means cranking from deeper water will be easier. And with 65lb braided line I'm only losing 25 yards if I go with the 10k.

3 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

What type of plugging from shore? Most of the high end reels designed for surf fishing have retrieves on the slower end, like 40 ipt or less. If you’re popping for tuna, roosters, etc, then the higher retrieve ratio of the 14k is advantageous. 

Targeting ulua and bluefin trevally.

Or also use 2 spools. You have 2 options like 8000- 5.6 ratio (with 40-50lb braid for jigging) and 14k spool: 42" and 48.5".......Bigger fish or deeper? go to 10k- 4.9 ratio 40" and 14k spool would be 41.8"..but little difference, I would choose option first!.

Only one reel? solved with STRADIC 10k hg!

I know for around here New England when i fish in bolder fields and beach i pick the low ration van staals.  but when I hit the canal or jettys I break out the stella 14k.  the ratio helps when you need to rip your plug in quick and get it back in the action.  Currents on jetty's and canal can be crazy.  when I boat fish I bring the stella as well if I make a bad cast or if I'm jigging and need to get the fish up quick I want the High speed reel.  in your case I think you will be fine with either and wont know the difference but you will be more of a baller if you go 14k hahaha.  

As Canary says, Stradic SW 10000HG.

The Stradic SW (this generation, not the one before) is the Japan version of the Saragosa, I think. The Saragosa is not sold in Japan - it's an export model. 

I have the SWA 10k, same body as 8k and 14k. Use for low speed (jigs and bait, not poppers or metal). Will pick up a spool on EBay sooner or later.

On 31/03/2021 at 5:19 AM, Steg said:

As Canary says, Stradic SW 10000HG.

The Stradic SW (this generation, not the one before) is the Japan version of the Saragosa, I think. The Saragosa is not sold in Japan - it's an export model. 

i do have both of them but imo the stradic is smoother.

On 3/30/2021 at 0:26 PM, jm415 said:

If you did all 3 types of fishing and could only choose one which would you take?

I appreciate the help.

U will end up buy both eventually, not one lol......

4 hours ago, Pierce said:

U will end up buy both eventually, not one lol......

X2 

thats me when i cant decide which one to buy and always end up buying 2. its alway tough decision to make. 

just buy both and this question will be out of ur mind.