doublegregg

thoughts on skinner video re: his frustrating session with inline hooks

14 posts in this topic

i'm replacing some trebles with singles on my rapalas, etc... i noticed this video by john skinner, in which he is clearly frustrated with trying out inline hooks which replaced his trebles.. i think it's his first experience with singles... he loses every single fish (six) and blames it on the inline hooks................ he calls them hook ups - i'm not sure exactly how he loses his fish.... but he loses all of 'em.  

i'm primarily fishing lakes, streams, some surf, basically small stuff, i do a lot of ultralight.

are inlines that ineffective at, i guess setting the hook on a fish? i've never seen that guy get frustrated..........until this.

as a new guy at this, i'd just guess from the shape of trebles vs singles, that a successful hook up on singles vs trebles is singles would be good about 30% of the time, compared to trebles?

ty!

Edited by doublegregg

That video is from a good book, and I myself should probably read it again. 

Having said that, I personally don’t setup any my plugs like that. Maybe take the end treble off and replace that with a single.. But of course I think your bound to have better success with trebles over singles...

Edited by MattieG

5 mins ago, BeachBum818 said:

You dont really miss hook ups with bucktails or storm shads do you?

You do have a point. Most my fish come from bucktails. Still, trebles can really hook a fish, or yourself for that matter.

They suck on top waters, they’re about equally effective for everything else in my experience. Topwaters I keep the belly treble and switch the tail to a single.

2 hours ago, doublegregg said:

as a new guy at this, i'd just guess from the shape of trebles vs singles, that a successful hook up on singles vs trebles is singles would be good about 30% of the time, compared to trebles?

He's using probably the worst inline hooks on the market - those VMCs are awful at getting past the barb.

In freshwater, the baits that give me issue with single inlines are fat bodied crankbaits and deep diving crankbaits. If you look at the bill size and pull angle, the belly single hook can be blocked by the body/bill of the crankbait when you pull tight. You can save a lot of headache (and fish gills/eyeballs) by keeping the belly treble but replacing the tail treble with an inline single. 

Everything else - jerkbaits, spybaits, flat sided cranks/lipless cranks, most freshwater topwaters - Owner singles do the trick. You might miss the odd fish that swipe at the lure but you gain a larger hook gap which = higher landing %. 

it sounds like guys are leaving the front treble, because an inline would ride up into the lure, missing strikes? 

and there's lukewarm response to putting them on the rear? i'm guessing a reason to put them on is for stronger hook ups, more landed fish? 

i use some kastmasters (1/12 oz), the tiny rapalas, such as an F3, phoebes (1/12 oz), and all come with really tiny trebles. they don't seem like they'd hold a fish very well because each hook is so small. i've been replacing those with inlines --- does that seem like a good idea? 

thanks!

My biggest issue with inline hooks is most of them are they are too heavy and unbalance my finely tuned trout baits.

I have seen lighter gage inline black chrome sickle style hooks used by companies like Yakama on their lures and they work well, but I can't find a place to buy them separately. My guess is it is some wholesale terminal tackle company that sells the hooks directly to lure manufacturers.

Edited by Jay Blair

10 hours ago, doublegregg said:

it sounds like guys are leaving the front treble, because an inline would ride up into the lure, missing strikes? 

and there's lukewarm response to putting them on the rear? i'm guessing a reason to put them on is for stronger hook ups, more landed fish? 

i use some kastmasters (1/12 oz), the tiny rapalas, such as an F3, phoebes (1/12 oz), and all come with really tiny trebles. they don't seem like they'd hold a fish very well because each hook is so small. i've been replacing those with inlines --- does that seem like a good idea? 

thanks!

Stripers are headhunters, so they’re going to catch the belly hook most of the time.  So if you put a single on the rear, you eliminate have a treble that gets lodged into the body of the fish.  That’s why I do it at least, it’s a simple thing that reduces harm to the fish, and makes it way easier to land. 

They sell kastmasters that come from the factory with single hooks - I’d do some research on what size they use and copy it. 

14 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

My biggest issue with inline hooks is most of them are they are too heavy and unbalance my finely tuned trout baits.

I have seen lighter gage inline black chrome sickle style hooks used by companies like Yakama on their lures and they work well, but I can't find a place to buy them separately. My guess is it is some wholesale terminal tackle company that sells the hooks directly to lure manufacturers.

have you tried standard hooks on lures where the orientation of the eye doesn't matter? such as kastmasters? altho, i think inlines would weigh in ok for the 1/12 and maybe the 1/24 oz versions of that sort of lure... but i think there's a 1/32 oz version also..

and do guys use the term baits for artificials???  i always thought bait was,... well.... u no, worms and cut up fish....