nfnDrum

Albies Kayak Distance

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

How approachable are Albies on a kayak? Can you get close or do they spook easy? I know their is a fall run is their a spring run?

Edited by nfnDrum

Their isn't one technique. Some yak anglers will wait and not chase.  Some anglers will do a wheelie and hole-shot and get in and make a cast. Personally for me My choice is what the Albies are doing at the moment. Are they feeding vertical or are they feeding horizontal?  Is it Mixed?  Is their one group or are their several groups? Are they spooky?  Whats the bait? Chovies are fast and flee, peanuts huddle together and generally jump in the air and huddle back together. 

I enjoy making that 100 yard pedal and get a cast in before that group goes down. There is nothing like having an Albie come out of that pod where you are battling boats and all that bull**** that goes with the chase and now you are on with your drag singing.  Its euphoric, music plays in my head, and I got my fix for the moment. I am an absolute Albie Junkie. 

When and where they arrive depends on where you live. I can take a plane to Florida and get them at any time of the year. For my home waters in New England, I will be in South Cape Cod in August and fish them till October -November to as far as Fishers Island on the CT/NY line. 

I've had albies so close to my kayak I thought they would almost jump in!  I don't have enormous experience with them and it's only been in one location during the early fall off of Monmouth Beach, NJ.  When I'm there during the right time of year, I keep my eyes open for birds and jumping fish.  Unless I'm really really lucky, when I spot them they will be far enough away that by the time I get there, they'll be gone.  My technique has been to slowly head in the direction I spot them while trolling an Albie favorite.  If they head towards me I may pick one up.  I will do a burst pedal and try to rush to them if I think I can get there in time.  The area where they show up while I'm fishing is square miles, so I simply don't have the stamina to chase them all over.  On good days, once I get near where they are, I find they tend to circle around and come back.  But it's hit and miss.  It is addictive to hook up on one!

Sometimes you chase them out so far and when you look back......

The buildings and homes are just so small.

It's the closest thing to crack cocaine in the fishing world.......hence they're "Fish Crack".

Overcast, slight breeze & chop limits their vision of you & you can sometimes get right on top of them, clear calm days & bright sun, they’re definitely more finicky but when they’re around in numbers & the feed bag is on it could go either way, smaller concentrations of bait disperse faster so the Albies are usually up & gone quickly then pop up over yonder somewhere, when you have shoals of bait around & you’re marking bait every place you go, be ready for a banner day….. its all about the bait.

The last 2 falls were considerably weaker Albie yrs in my neck of the woods, at least for me it was, Bait concentrations were a lot thinner, I saw less of the big anchovies around this last season too, It was nothing like 3 or 4 + yrs ago where there were a lot of fish a cast periods throughout the day & than you'd hit a few more on the way back to the launch... last few yrs its mostly acres of schoolie bass & bunker right thru to mid-November with considerably less  All-Albie ambushes around, with all the bass around I saw a lot of mixing, it was pretty tough to get thru the bass to the Albies, you really had to put in your time & had to be in the right place at the right time to hook up with them ….

Edited by BillZ

6 mins ago, SwimBait said:

Forget the Albies, what you want are the Bones!

Bone Fevah!!

ACtC-3cVToM5tPc0WkY20FxZFFWnRf2eRAG25wPY2dGO0gGFs8Vy71cj0jth_RL7Y0pzra7rqXAP5_w0homKAYs0Hl7C4tJpsP2ICkIgdqbROorFcI-SXGTZjXlUmBFczrV5x7gTI_jh4Z_FbxCYYvoG4hnE8w=w592-h789-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3dqpswnO83r7jWAgAkQ5YDKpwpWy7mYYaiXdmrEn7l_Sm0KUGZA7ZYW10Fm6cbY0GbSqlPMRil_c8macQL7f-979sv5_YkM_dCOW5NPH4Sttw8uIe0mniwWJea42k61vomTgs9p-22HbJ_9hmO8UL_NTA=w592-h789-no?authuser=0

If only they fought as hard as Albacore. Love eating them though. This was the first year for me I found em in Cape Cod Bay. I hope that trend continues. 

1 hour ago, SwimBait said:

Forget the Albies, what you want are the Bones!

Bone Fevah!!

ACtC-3cVToM5tPc0WkY20FxZFFWnRf2eRAG25wPY2dGO0gGFs8Vy71cj0jth_RL7Y0pzra7rqXAP5_w0homKAYs0Hl7C4tJpsP2ICkIgdqbROorFcI-SXGTZjXlUmBFczrV5x7gTI_jh4Z_FbxCYYvoG4hnE8w=w592-h789-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3dqpswnO83r7jWAgAkQ5YDKpwpWy7mYYaiXdmrEn7l_Sm0KUGZA7ZYW10Fm6cbY0GbSqlPMRil_c8macQL7f-979sv5_YkM_dCOW5NPH4Sttw8uIe0mniwWJea42k61vomTgs9p-22HbJ_9hmO8UL_NTA=w592-h789-no?authuser=0

In NJ where I fish, I've only ever seen them once and they were small about 10".  Caught a pile of them mixed in with Albies.  I wish they were more regular because I did like eating them!

Despite targeting bones and albies regularly for the past 8 years or so by yak, my fishing partner and I only got into them once. The pics above were from the fall 2019 season in an area with fairly reliable albie action. We got lucky. They were mixed in with schoolies, but we thought they were fat alberts. It was an epic day mostly because the rarity of seeing and landing them.

Once we landed that first one, and saw what was up, bone fevah struck with a vengeance!

We celebrated that evening like rock stars. You would have thought we just won the lottery.

Edited by SwimBait

10 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

How approachable are Albies on a kayak? Can you get close or do they spook easy? I know their is a fall run is their a spring run?

Short answer- in a kayak I wouldn’t worry about spooking albies.

In a boat, may be a different story. The biggest concern is boats breaking up the bait more than spooking the albies away. One typical pattern is to see a body of hardtails move from one bait ball to another to another and back to the first, then repeat the cycle. This “feeding circuit” can go on for 5+ cycles and be relatively predictable. But if a boat runs over a bait ball or two, the bait can be broken up. The albies may still feed but with much less predictability.

Edited by Pescador710

Reason I ask, if I'm in albie waters during the right time of year I now have a 9ftr that would do the job well. I can bring it with me to help close the gap if they tend to be skiddish. I've never had the opportunity to target them. I think its something that needs to happen this season. If the fly guys can fish from a yak a medium 10-20# inshore surf rod should be great. 

Edited by nfnDrum

If I spot a school of bait I try to stay in it paddling as quietly as possible. When the Albiies or Bonita hit I have about 15 feet of fly line with a 6 foot leader outside the rod tip and cast towards the side of the bait mass. It often works and it is important to remember to breathe as the predators dart around the kayak. 

Trying to sprint paddling to blowups is often frustrating because the predators move on so quickly.

46 mins ago, teddispahgetti said:

it is important to remember to breathe as the predators dart around the kayak. 

^^^ this .... and/or buck fever :th: