jjdbike

Trout: Powerbait Mouse Tails - any good?

41 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Guess I'm going to have to Google bead rig to see what it's all about.

Nice fish :th:

Hope this helps. The bead is a Legal use as Fly in Alaska where Fly fishing only is the law. But used anywhere there are egg laying Fish Salmon #1 To be legal the Hook has to be a certain distance from the Hook and distance of the Split shot above both, The beads come in many shades and sizes depending on Size and age of eggs. On the Kenia 99% use them add other rivers streams to the list. A single bead as shown will get you from trophy Rainbows to Dollys- Graylings - and at times Salmon will pick one up like they do with Egg sacks where allowed. the thought is they are protecting an area from competitive fish. The Fish sucks in the Bead and becomes hooked. when I first encountered them I was very leary. 

And as far as Trout becoming leary of them I have hooked some on the Kenai and Russian with 2 -4  hook & beads in their jaws and removed and Released unharmed Yes the Kenia is Catch and Release Only you can even get a summons lifting and holding out of the Water for photos for to long. many guides do it for you or leave in the net.   

IMG_0891.JPG

21 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Fish are very very opportunistic.

I have caught plenty of smallies and walleye on fresh cut bait to vet that fact and then some.

Thank You

On 4/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Jay Blair said:

I think trout magnets are unscented if I recall correctly and I was referring to streams that get pounded on opening day. If you rest an area for a while power bait will work, but not like it did when the fish were naïve to it.

Works all the Time,  NJ stream Lakes Ponds are Hatchery Raised 90% Rainbows. They get get pounded from the day of Stocking to the next week Stocking. NJ trout do not live long enough to develop a Discerning Palate - Naive is not in their Vocabulary.From day one they compete for food in the hatchery. 

51aMyt7UZ1L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

11 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Guess I'm going to have to Google bead rig to see what it's all about.

Nice fish :th:

I read on-line last year about guys using these beads for Steelhead in NY. I took some along to Erie but didn't get around to trying them. I also saw a guy here back in February using them for trout in the artificial lures area. He wasn't catching anything......said he didn't have a bite. I read somewhere that there is some question to the legality of these in Pa. The hook apparently has to be a certain distance to the bead or it's considered snagging.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Very Flawed Science and Reasoning.  Example The Time Honored method for catching Trophy Sized Trout catch and Release ONLY meaning Catching over & over day in day out on every Alaskan River for Trout be it FLY fishing Only waters or not and this bead method is considered a Fly method. Guess the Trout in Alaska and and other Salmonid Rivers are just unconditional Losers. Photo Kenai Rainbow on a Bead Rig Catch and Release ONLY to be recought once again same rig

Fact Fish feed on Conditions Opportunity and Availability.  

download.jpg

minibeadbox.jpg

download (1).jpg

Beads and salmon eggs are not PB mouse tails and wild trout do not behave like stocked trout.  Just about everyone knows steelhead are suckers for eggs and egg imitations. You are splitting hairs chief.

If you catch lots of large wild trout on PB mouse tails then post them up. I am sure we all want to see them.

What I am seeing are beads and bead rigs not PB mouse tails. Besides I don't remember anyone asking about how to catch a fish with a guide helping you on a steelhead river.

I believe we were helping folks with lures for catching all types if trout, not just steelhead. Each trout species has it own feeding and survival strategies and it helps to note those differences if you want to catch more of them.

Edited by Jay Blair

9 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Hope this helps. The bead is a Legal use as Fly in Alaska where Fly fishing only is the law. But used anywhere there are egg laying Fish Salmon #1 To be legal the Hook has to be a certain distance from the Hook and distance of the Split shot above both, The beads come in many shades and sizes depending on Size and age of eggs. On the Kenia 99% use them add other rivers streams to the list. A single bead as shown will get you from trophy Rainbows to Dollys- Graylings - and at times Salmon will pick one up like they do with Egg sacks where allowed. the thought is they are protecting an area from competitive fish. The Fish sucks in the Bead and becomes hooked. when I first encountered them I was very leary. 

And as far as Trout becoming leary of them I have hooked some on the Kenai and Russian with 2 -4  hook & beads in their jaws and removed and Released unharmed Yes the Kenia is Catch and Release Only you can even get a summons lifting and holding out of the Water for photos for to long. many guides do it for you or leave in the net.   

IMG_0891.JPG

Thanks for the explanation 

22 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Very Flawed Science and Reasoning.  Example The Time Honored method for catching Trophy Sized Trout catch and Release ONLY meaning Catching over & over day in day out on every Alaskan River for Trout be it FLY fishing Only waters or not and this bead method is considered a Fly method. Guess the Trout in Alaska and and other Salmonid Rivers are just unconditional Losers. Photo Kenai Rainbow on a Bead Rig Catch and Release ONLY to be recought once again same rig

Fact Fish feed on Conditions Opportunity and Availability.  

download.jpg

minibeadbox.jpg

download (1).jpg

Have you beads for 20+ years, The original term I believe was Moffit system. I rarely hook a fish anywhere but upper frontal fave. Try It ,it works on small streams with micro beads and smaller indicators on light tackle

Sorry not following your post Beads have been around for many Years as the Original people ( Natives ) in AK  made and used them made from various material. never heard of a Moffit System but a search refers to a Circle hook system. Tied Egg Flies have there place but since Plastics were introduced have lost favor. As I posted where spawning Salmon are present it is the go to rig. as The Trout and Dollies are keyed in on them, In NJ I have only used a Bead on a rig as an attractant not the Focal point. And Petes Salmon eggs many use have an attractant on them might say the beginning of Power baits. 

After the Beads other Flies come into Play from Flesh Flies and Egg Sucking Leech.  

But all this is off topic but refers to fish do not become Shy or learn Dangers they are Opportunists  Be it Mouse Tails Power Baits Trout Magnets Live baits. Presentation  Presentation.  

My days of Fishing at 80 yo has been curtailed to enjoying the fishing catching is just a reward as they say been there done it. 

31 mins ago, RAW said:

Have you beads for 20+ years, The original term I believe was Moffit system. I rarely hook a fish anywhere but upper frontal fave. Try It ,it works on small streams with micro beads and smaller indicators on light tackle

A-huge-flybox-filled-with-egg-fly-patterns3.jpg

Grandpa on The Bench.jpg

21 hours ago, RAW said:

Glo bugs

:hi5:Right on RAW ----------Remember --You can call me Ray you can call me J or you can call Me. 

Or you can call a Egg Fly a Glow bug Even if Matt can have one named after him  Yours would be a ( RAW Egg Fly ) :beers:

OR By many other Names,

Prestige Egg

Clown Egg

Yarn Egg

Nuke egg

Roe egg

Estaz Egg 

Easter Egg Fly 

Many More, -     Is a Name a Name by any other Name 

Great Fish is it a Native Maine Catch and Release ???

maxresdefault.jpg

On 4/27/2021 at 9:17 AM, Cheeckakoe said:

Sorry not following your post Beads have been around for many Years as the Original people ( Natives ) in AK  made and used them made from various material. never heard of a Moffit System but a search refers to a Circle hook system. Tied Egg Flies have there place but since Plastics were introduced have lost favor. As I posted where spawning Salmon are present it is the go to rig. as The Trout and Dollies are keyed in on them, In NJ I have only used a Bead on a rig as an attractant not the Focal point. And Petes Salmon eggs many use have an attractant on them might say the beginning of Power baits. 

After the Beads other Flies come into Play from Flesh Flies and Egg Sucking Leech.  

But all this is off topic but refers to fish do not become Shy or learn Dangers they are Opportunists  Be it Mouse Tails Power Baits Trout Magnets Live baits. Presentation  Presentation.  

My days of Fishing at 80 yo has been curtailed to enjoying the fishing catching is just a reward as they say been there done it. 

A-huge-flybox-filled-with-egg-fly-patterns3.jpg

Grandpa on The Bench.jpg

bless you @ your age still @ it fishing. & thank you for your services to our country sir........