jjdbike

Trout: Powerbait Mouse Tails - any good?

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, RAW said:

Been fishing power bait worms for many years, There are others out here also, I use a 2-2.5" fine worm (earth color) on a long fine bait holder hook, barb pinched, Even when new I put the worms in a baggy with stuff like dead mousies, red wigglers.I keep a can of the red wigglers in the refrigerator. 2-3 red wiggles give you a good of fishing. I throw the red wigglers in water in pieces and keep baggy closed. Above the hook I use a mini marsh mellow up about 12" up and a split up about 18-20", deadly simple, 1 st day and all year.

Raw, that sounds a lot like the rigs I have seen on our local rivers for stocked trout, and somewhat similar to a rig we used for bank fishing on the Finger Lakes, except we use a real night crawler with a floating Mike's trout marshmallow to keep it off the bottom, however I am a little confused about how you are using the mousies the wigglers. 

Are you using them to marinate your power worms or adding them to your bait.

Have you ever use the Mad River Steelhead worms.  They look good.

Edited by Jay Blair

32 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Raw, that sounds a lot like the rigs I have seen on our local rivers for stocked trout, and somewhat similar to a rig we used for bank fishing on the Finger Lakes, except we use a real night crawler with a floating Mike's trout marshmallow to keep it off the bottom, however I am a little confused about how you are using the mousies the wigglers. 

Are you using them to marinate your power worms or adding them to your bait.

Have you ever use the Mad River Steelhead worms.  They look good.

marinate, To me it does make a difference, some buy sprays, jelly's , or the just the scented power bait. fresh mullet/dead  live shrimp/dead  live mackerel/frozen  fresh salmon eggs/ old.  Just adds that fresh nasty live organic touch!

On 3/29/2021 at 8:48 AM, Jay Blair said:

Power baits works well the first day or two of opening day and then the don't. When that happens I switch to other lures and scents in the cold season. I rarely use scented baits the rest of the year.

Fish have something called conditioned behavior and when a trout or a trout near them has a negative experience with a certain scented item they turn off to it.  Scent and taste are two of the senses that create the strongest conditioned response; good, bad, or indifferent.  This is how young fish that are adventurous feeders learn what is good to eat and what is not.

I guess my answer is Power Bait works great until it doesn't.

In all due respect your findings are not what I and others i fish with since Power baits have come on the market. Including Trout Magnets. The work all year round under all conditions seans have nothing to do in the many bodys of waters Lakes ponds rivers we fish. There is one guy in the group who has nothing better to do but fish a local lake all year his use has made others believers in them He will even deadstick Mouse Tails or grubs with success when others thought it was useless. Scented or not. Guess these NJ Trout Fish missed that Memo on Behavior. What happened to the School of thought that Fish are Opportunists feeding on what is available. And at times key in on that. Ignoring other offerings. 

Your guess Powerbait works until it doesn't holds true for any bait.    

When Walmart first started carrying those mousetails a number of years ago I bought several different colors to try. My results have been ......ehhhhh......not great. I caught a few fish on them at first, but there's never been a time where I caught fish on them and couldn't catch on anything else. I actually had better luck with them when I cut the ball head off and just used the tail part like a power worm. I guess they're worth a shot but I wouldn't put too much stock in them.

We have alot of guys around my area here that swear by power bait.....the paste stuff in the jar. Thing is after the first few weeks of the season it isn't as effective, so then these guys give up and stop fishing. That's when the fishing gets good for me. The only power bait product i've had year-round success with is the gulp minnows.

4 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

In all due respect your findings are not what I and others i fish with since Power baits have come on the market. Including Trout Magnets. The work all year round under all conditions seans have nothing to do in the many bodys of waters Lakes ponds rivers we fish. There is one guy in the group who has nothing better to do but fish a local lake all year his use has made others believers in them He will even deadstick Mouse Tails or grubs with success when others thought it was useless. Scented or not. Guess these NJ Trout Fish missed that Memo on Behavior. What happened to the School of thought that Fish are Opportunists feeding on what is available. And at times key in on that. Ignoring other offerings. 

Your guess Powerbait works until it doesn't holds true for any bait.    

I think trout magnets are unscented if I recall correctly and I was referring to streams that get pounded on opening day. If you rest an area for a while power bait will work, but not like it did when the fish were naïve to it.

1 hour ago, Jay Blair said:

I think trout magnets are unscented if I recall correctly and I was referring to streams that get pounded on opening day. If you rest an area for a while power bait will work, but not like it did when the fish were naïve to it.

Many power baits come unscented Rat Tails included I scent all my Plastics Trout Mags also. No Streams Rivers Lakes Ponds get as Ponded as in NJ   Last photo is Saxton Falls. Like I said Trout are Opportunists Might become a it Shy but will hit any baits. 

Ever fish the kenai- Russian Copper Eagle Big and little Su AK all Trout Catch and Release Pounded ever Day over and Over Guess the Trout are not Naive or even Shy. 

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

images (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Many power baits come unscented Rat Tails included I scent all my Plastics Trout Mags also. No Streams Rivers Lakes Ponds get as Ponded as in NJ   Last photo is Saxton Falls. Like I said Trout are Opportunists Might become a it Shy but will hit any baits. 

Ever fish the kenai- Russian Copper Eagle Big and little Su AK all Trout Catch and Release Pounded ever Day over and Over Guess the Trout are not Naive or even Shy. 

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

images (2).jpg

Big rivers you can probably still find some fish that are not conditioned, but in smaller rivers and streams the fish either get caught or they wise up. 

I generally don't fish opening day or chase stocked trout. I prefer to fish for what is left of the stocked fish after opening day, holdover trout and the wild fish that are in the rivers because I release them.

To me trout fishing is about enjoying nature, the beauty of the river, the unique ecology of each river, and the phycological flow I get from fishing quiet waters and catching fish. I am not into combat fishing and I leave that for the meat hunters and weekend warriors that want something easy to catch.

I grew up in NJ and fished the North Branch and South Branch of the Raritan, some of their tributaries, the Black River, Big Flat Brook, Little Flat Brook and some small streams near our home in Western Somerset County. I never bothered with the opening day nonsense, even when I was a kid. That being said I certainly had my share of combat fishing the surf and inlets of NJ and I could see the crap going on during opening day and it was not pretty or sporting.

My opinions are my own and you are welcomed to yours.

I figure it is up to the other contributors to weigh each post and decide for themselves if the information shared is valuable to them or not.

I have based that opinion on 60 years of fishing and guiding on reservoirs, rivers, and light tackle inshore fishing on the Chesapeake and it tributaries.

Some of our contributors I have fished with can tell you that I put them on great fish and fishing and in some cases those contributors have helped me with new fishing tech and novel techniques. This SOL community has been good to me and I try to give back.

Edited by Jay Blair

Some of our contributors I have fished with can tell you that I put them on great fish and fishing and in some cases those contributors have helped me with new fishing tech and novel techniques. This SOL community has been good to me and I try to give back.

Thank you Jay as Im 1 of them that you put onto quality wild fish. I also try to give back to the community 

Ive used these mice tails for stock trout on the rise for flies. It works, but mite not the best for artificial bait category. the pink usually works better then the other colors they offer. 

My opinions are my own and you are welcomed to yours.

I figure it is up to the other contributors to weigh each post and decide for themselves if the information shared is valuable to them or not.

I have based that opinion on 60 years of fishing and guiding on reservoirs, rivers, and light tackle inshore fishing on the Chesapeake and it tributaries.

You Win been there done that. Not doubting you or your opinions. at 80 yo my experiences are Vast. and differ from yours. And just do not make fishing a Science or Mysterious.    

I often fish after opening day in stocked streams that have a residual wild trout and holdover population and had numerous instances where I was having a great day fishing until I came to a couple of holes and discovered folks using power bait upstream from me. As soon as I got above them I started catching trout again.

It does not take a scientists to figure out what is going on. That is why I use power bait at the very beginning of the season before the rivers are full of the stuff and I use it sparingly. Sometimes the river bottoms are literally covered with power bait and the glitter from the dough type of power bait after the beginning of the season.

Once the water temps reaches 55 to 60 degrees I use lures that appeal to more active fish like jerk baits and other lures. It helps me catch more fish and a better class of fish and that is what I am looking for. If most fisherman are using spinners, I will use jerk baits, and if the trout are conditioned to avoid standard trout size lures I will go with smaller or larger lures.

Before or at the beginning of the season power bait works great, especially for stocked trout, until it doesn't IMO.

Fish like the ones in the photos below do not feed on power bait mouse tails, and they beat the odds by not being caught by fisherman and other natural predators due to conditioned behavior and an elegant hard wire package honed by millions of years of evolution. That is how a few of their ancestors survived long enough to create a race of wild trout in some of our rivers.

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

PA120009.JPG

PA120010 - Copy.JPG

P4270007.JPG

Edited by Jay Blair

On 4/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, Cheeckakoe said:

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

images (2).jpg

Wow, glad I am not into that kind of fishing.

I love trout season though because it draws guys away from the areas I fish.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 4/13/2021 at 11:17 PM, Jay Blair said:

Fish like the ones in the photos below do not feed on power bait mouse tails, and they beat the odds by not being caught by fisherman and other natural predators due to conditioned behavior and an elegant hard wire package honed by millions of years of evolution. That is how a few of their ancestors survived long enough to create a race of wild trout in some of our rivers.

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

PA120009.JPG

PA120010 - Copy.JPG

P4270007.JPG

Very Flawed Science and Reasoning.  Example The Time Honored method for catching Trophy Sized Trout catch and Release ONLY meaning Catching over & over day in day out on every Alaskan River for Trout be it FLY fishing Only waters or not and this bead method is considered a Fly method. Guess the Trout in Alaska and and other Salmonid Rivers are just unconditional Losers. Photo Kenai Rainbow on a Bead Rig Catch and Release ONLY to be recought once again same rig

Fact Fish feed on Conditions Opportunity and Availability.  

download.jpg

minibeadbox.jpg

download (1).jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

7 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Very Flawed Science and Reasoning.  Example The Time Honored method for catching Trophy Sized Trout catch and Release ONLY meaning Catching over & over day in day out on every Alaskan River for Trout be it FLY fishing Only waters or not and this bead method is considered a Fly method. Guess the Trout in Alaska and and other Salmonid Rivers are just unconditional Losers. Photo Kenai Rainbow on a Bead Rig Catch and Release ONLY to be recought once again same rig

download.jpg

minibeadbox.jpg

download (1).jpg

Guess I'm going to have to Google bead rig to see what it's all about.

Nice fish :th:

10 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

download.jpg

minibeadbox.jpg

download (1).jpg

Fish are very very opportunistic.

I have caught plenty of smallies and walleye on fresh cut bait to vet that fact and then some.