jjdbike

Trout: Powerbait Mouse Tails - any good?

41 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I'm trying to give my fishing buds who do not or have not fished for trout an introduction, especially now that they are getting vaccinated. They fish the salt w/ me and larger rivers and lakes for bass. Early season stockers will give them confidence building success. I'm also trying to get my wife into it as well. With my growing arsenal of trout lures (thanks Jay Blair & Beachglass Guru) and the effectiveness of Powerbait & Gulp products, I've pretty much lost interest in buying and storing bait. That being said, for trout that have been in the water for a while, after a weekend of getting beat up by hoards, a small live minnow delicately presented is hard to beat.

I know Gulp minnows, Powerbait dough, Nymphs & Fat Floating Trout Worms all have their place. I have always been intreated by Powerbait Mouse Tails.They look like what some from my childhood used to call their secret weapon combo, i.e.salmon egg or kernel of corn/ a worm. I suppose it was the contact, scent and larger profile, or simply a different look. 

Has anyone here used Mouse tails? How, where & when & what was your experience? Are they worth adding to the arsenal?

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I am interested in this as well.:read:

Here’s a picture of them.

Interesting looking. They’re 3” long. I’d think they may be a tad long.

JD

798EC180-106B-43F5-B2D0-507A801F8B44.jpeg

Edited by jjdbike

Power baits works well the first day or two of opening day and then the don't. When that happens I switch to other lures and scents in the cold season. I rarely use scented baits the rest of the year.

Fish have something called conditioned behavior and when a trout or a trout near them has a negative experience with a certain scented item they turn off to it.  Scent and taste are two of the senses that create the strongest conditioned response; good, bad, or indifferent.  This is how young fish that are adventurous feeders learn what is good to eat and what is not.

We have the same behavior mechanism and if you eat something that make you really sick, in the future just the smell or taste of it will make you feel uncomfortable, or even sick. I had a really bad experience with drinking to much cheap scotch when I was young and I have never enjoyed the smell or taste of it ever since. I have a fish bud that got really sick after eating pizza and now he can't even handle the smell of pizza.

I saw a example of this when Fish Formula when it first came out. The first year or two I caught a lot of fish and big fish on the scent. Later when everyone started using Fish Formula I could only catch young naïve fish on it and I did better with lures with no scent. 

I only use a particular scented bait once in section of a river once during the cold season. The rest of the year I rest those areas or use lures without a scent or a different scent. If power bait stops working try something else. The fish have probably become conditioned to it and not in a good way. After opening day I have seen the stocked fish flee from power bait or simply turn off. The fish's conditioning mechanism has kicked in and it is time to change things up.

I am seeing the same thing with bass tournaments. The first couple of days some the pros do great with power bait products, and in the finals they often have to switch to another bait when the pressured fish turn off on Power Bait.

I guess my answer is Power Bait works great until it doesn't.

Edited by Jay Blair

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hello folks,

I'm trying to give my fishing buds who do not or have not fished for trout an introduction, especially now that they are getting vaccinated. They fish the salt w/ me and larger rivers and lakes for bass. Early season stockers will give them confidence building success. I'm also trying to get my wife into it as well. With my growing arsenal of trout lures (thanks Jay Blair & Beachglass Guru) and the effectiveness of Powerbait & Gulp products, I've pretty much lost interest in buying and storing bait. That being said, for trout that have been in the water for a while, after a weekend of getting beat up by hoards, a small live minnow delicately presented is hard to beat.

I know Gulp minnows, Powerbait dough, Nymphs & Fat Floating Trout Worms all have their place. I have always been intreated by Powerbait Mouse Tails.They look like what some from my childhood used to call their secret weapon combo, i.e.salmon egg or kernel of corn/ a worm. I suppose it was the contact, scent and larger profile, or simply a different look. 

Has anyone here used Mouse tails? How, where & when & what was your experience? Are they worth adding to the arsenal?

JD

Use them in lieu of power bait dough.  They work just the same if not better than the dough.  I feel that a ball of dough with the hook point buried might buy you more weedlessness or get you out of a snag better than the mousetail with its hook exposed.  So your mileage may vary.  I would definitely use them for stockers in a lake/pond same as the dough. Just be careful not to use a heavy wire hook because it will sink the bait and a ball of dough or mousetail sitting on the bottom won't catch a trout. The baits need to be a few inches to a foot off the bottom- in the zone.

Edited by Fly By Nite

29 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Use them in lieu of power bait dough.  They work just the same if not better than the dough.  I feel that a ball of dough with the hook point buried might buy you more weedlessness or get you out of a snag better than the mousetail with its hook exposed.  So your mileage may vary.  I would definitely use them for stockers in a lake/pond same as the dough. Just be careful not to use a heavy wire hook because it will sink the bait and a ball of dough or mousetail sitting on the bottom won't catch a trout. The baits need to be a few inches to a foot off the bottom- in the zone.

Good point: I have seen our locals use a small power worm with a fine wire hook and some shot to fool lots of stocked trout. The shot adds casting weight and the worm floats above it in the current. The small fine wire hook it the key to the technique. 

I have found the same with micro jigs. The trout often shy away from jig heads with large hooks.

Edited by Jay Blair

2 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

Power baits works well the first day or two of opening day and then the don't. When that happens I switch to other lures and scents in the cold season. I rarely use scented baits the rest of the year.

Fish have something called conditioned behavior and when a trout or a trout near them has a negative experience with a certain scented item they turn off to it.  Scent and taste are two of the senses that create the strongest conditioned response; good, bad, or indifferent.  This is how young fish that are adventurous feeders learn what is good to eat and what is not.

We have the same behavior mechanism and if you eat something that make you really sick, in the future just the smell or taste of it will make you feel uncomfortable, or even sick. I had a really bad experience with drinking to much cheap scotch when I was young and I have never enjoyed the smell or taste of it ever since. I have a fish bud that got really sick after eating pizza and now he can't even handle the smell of pizza.

I saw a example of this when Fish Formula when it first came out. The first year or two I caught a lot of fish and big fish on the scent. Later when everyone started using Fish Formula I could only catch young naïve fish on it and I did better with lures with no scent. 

I only use a particular scented bait once in section of a river once during the cold season. The rest of the year I rest those areas or use lures without a scent or a different scent. If power bait stops working try something else. The fish have probably become conditioned to it and not in a good way. After opening day I have seen the stocked fish flee from power bait or simply turn off. The fish's conditioning mechanism has kicked in and it is time to change things up.

I am seeing the same thing with bass tournaments. The first couple of days some the pros do great with power bait products, and in the finals they often have to switch to another bait when the pressured fish turn off on Power Bait.

I guess my answer is Power Bait works great until it doesn't.

26 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Before you cast always test it in front of you. the baited hook should float on the surface- if not, you need a new hook. 

Thanks Jay. Conditioning makes sense.

So rotating through Berkley, Bio Edge, Pro Cure etc...

I’ve seen the difference w/ fine wire hooks. 
My favorites are Owner Mosquito Light. They’re sort of a octopus style w/ out too much shank.

Thanks everyone!

JD

Those mouse tails are killer, I wish they were a little cheaper cus they aren't super durable. Another good go to is the tried and true Trout Magnet. But make sure if you get them to buy a small tackle box to transfer everything into. The one they come in always ends up with a warped lid and soft plastics/jigheads pouring out in your pocket/bag....

Edited by Kphresh

A friend turned me on to these a couple years ago. They work real well some times. I bury a small hook in the ball so its weedless. Put a split shot 12 inches up the line and drift the mouse tail. Pink works great. 

Been fishing power bait worms for many years, There are others out here also, I use a 2-2.5" fine worm (earth color) on a long fine bait holder hook, barb pinched, Even when new I put the worms in a baggy with stuff like dead mousies, red wigglers.I keep a can of the red wigglers in the refrigerator. 2-3 red wiggles give you a good of fishing. I throw the red wigglers in water in pieces and keep baggy closed. Above the hook I use a mini marsh mellow up about 12" up and a split up about 18-20", deadly simple, 1 st day and all year.