Surf bomber

Distance casting

Rate this topic

120 posts in this topic

Reworked a grand wave twenty with two beads on the brakes,twenty lb test,a 16 foot shock leader of hollow core braid with main line thru the entire 16 feet ,with four ounces on a beat up 12 foot Cabelas surf rod,maybe whipping stick ...just under 90 yards on a soggy field...not even a fluff..from a basic over head cast ....I will try with one bead by tues...trying to get the beach artillery tuned and me a little practice ....I will get the real beach artillery out hopefully by next friday..I put a diawa mag 7ht on a 13 foot century,100 gram-150 gram tornado tip but haven't thrown it yet ....should be fun .was throwing a Penn 535 on a breakaway with two beads ,5oz with not even a fluff last summer ...that will be the second adjustment this week .beach artillery means surf  rod and reels ...lol lol lol

Casting lead is fun, but it gets stuck every cast, and results in too much walking. All casting practice is worthwhile, especially with conventionals. Tweaking mags, spool tension, and cent. brakes, one can fine tune a reel for trouble free distance. I throw small lead filled, wood hobby balls that don’t dig in. Less distance, but zero walking.

5 hours ago, Jcallaham said:

the exercise is good for me. Most days I can only cast 400 to 500 ft. Do 15 casts, walk and wind that's some pretty good exercise.

15 casts is great !  When I have the opportunity (parks were shutdown) the max I can do is 5.

Walk and wind is the best. Reeling in the line can cause scrapes and cuts to the line that result in break offs.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:15 PM, Surf bomber said:

was throwing a Penn 535 on a breakaway with two beads ,5oz with not even a fluff last summer ...that will be the second adjustment this week .beach artillery means surf  rod and reels ...lol lol lol

I have the GS 535 and GS 555. Going back quite some time, according to Penn, the GS 555 right shaft bearing is oversized to reduce fluff and backlashes. Casting 40 lb mono any distance over 100 yards would cause the reel to squeal. The right spool shaft had gray on it that indicated the bearing inner race was spinning on the shaft. The final remedy was to coat the right spool shaft with STP, use Tournament Rocket Oil in the right bearing, and Red Rocket Oil in the left spool bearing. The reel then ran smooth and quiet.

Hope this helps.

We will try ty ....at present I’m running two beads on the brakes and 20lb Mai line with a 20ft hollow core shock leader with the main line threaded all twenty feet try to get twenty more yards out of it just to piss  off the fluke that are thirty yards past at  the moco jetty’s ...but we will get into it further ,soon... LOL LOL lol

Edited by Surf bomber

Took out the grand wave 20 pulled one bead and threw just over a 100yds..the beast maybe tamed..one correction the rod isn’t a whipping stick but a 12 ft cabellas salt striker ....also tried no beads but the beast released its hemmed up birds nest ...but I did get it out.....next will be that breakaway with either the 535 penn or I have a grand wave 30 with an adjustable mag ...when I get all the particulars together I will post ....all casts are from standing position over the head -3/4 side arm type ...we don’t get fancy till mid summer lol lol lol 

On 3/30/2021 at 11:25 AM, Don B said:

15 casts is great !  When I have the opportunity (parks were shutdown) the max I can do is 5.

Walk and wind is the best. Reeling in the line can cause scrapes and cuts to the line that result in break offs.

I used to field cast with my fishing reels with braid. Bad idea,lost a few fish before I figured it out. now I have one old abu with a couple of spools. 12lb mono 50lb mono shock leader. used only for the field

Before I remove a brake block, I’ll start loosening the spool tension adjustment. On mag reels you can do the same thing between mag settings. Tweaking to the edge is what makes field casting fun. Field casting bald plugs is less fun. It does help me practice different drop lengths, power and release on spinners, and different settings on conventional.

57A6D241-2290-4BD0-87E9-CCED5B9CEA65.png

Purple Dynamo (with added mono-mag) on a 13' Breakaway LDX and a green OBX on a 14' Akios Fury,  both loaded with Sakuma .035 and awaiting grass casting baptisms ...

20210401_185849.jpg

20210401_185930.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 7:08 PM, BeachBob said:

Purple Dynamo (with added mono-mag) on a 13' Breakaway LDX and a green OBX on a 14' Akios Fury,  both loaded with Sakuma .035 and awaiting grass casting baptisms ...

20210401_185849.jpg

20210401_185930.jpg

They’re some pretty set ups you got there BeachBob!