Some bad news, if true. Another Canal fixture gone before his time

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

I saw and heard him for years when fishing the east end.  He was really into Bob Seagar, and would go by with the tape on full blast, singing at the top if his lungs.   Some nights if the wind was right, I could hear him for half a mile.

Yes, I remember this guy too. I think he had a basket on the front of his bike and I do recall hearing him play Bob Seeger. A night trip jigging the canal wasn't the same without crossing paths with him :)

1 hour ago, J Powers said:

I've got thousands of hours fishing the canal. I never saw/heard the poor devil who just died.

I think I heard /saw  the other "Seager" guy just a couple of times.

It'd be a boring world without the eccentrics among us.

Jim he probably turned around at the bridge :) I usually saw him down by the criben mid-canal. Either that or you were to focused on hooking fish.

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

This Dave guy sounds like a character for sure. It makes me wonder why he never ended up on Bell Rd.

I don't think he drank. At least I never saw him drinking. He was somewhat of a religious fanatic.  

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

59 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I don't think he drank. At least I never saw him drinking. He was somewhat of a religious fanatic.  

Well, drinking never was a prerequisite for hanging out at Bell Rd. Embellishing stories yes, drinking no. :laugh:

The Sultan of Sluggo

A couple of us Canal Club guys were bait fishing an afternoon tide a few years back and Cowboy got talking to one of the Club guys who was into motorcycles.  Cowboy had on his typical gear of no shoes, cowboy hat and no shirt.  A few hours later he showed up at the Canal Club with a big Rice Rocket and full leather riding gear.  It was a really odd switch of costumes.

5 mins ago, clambellies said:

A couple of us Canal Club guys were bait fishing an afternoon tide a few years back and Cowboy got talking to one of the Club guys who was into motorcycles.  Cowboy had on his typical gear of no shoes, cowboy hat and no shirt.  A few hours later he showed up at the Canal Club with a big Rice Rocket and full leather riding gear.  It was a really odd switch of costumes.

I didn't know you were a member of the Canal Club. I was a member there for years.

The Sultan of Sluggo

16 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I think that was a different guy Bob. He only rode at night, with Bob Seeger blasting away. David preferred to ride during the day, as he liked to view the eye candy rollerblading. He was more into Johnny Cash. There was also a time when he got into Pavarotti as well. Sometimes you’d see him sitting in the bed of his truck, playing a guitar and singing, parked in the Sag lot. 

Yup....2 diff guys. Always heard the night guy mid canal

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Well, drinking never was a prerequisite for hanging out at Bell Rd. Embellishing stories yes, drinking no. :laugh:

Bob, I know who you were talking about on the East end ( didn't know "who" he was but the first time I encountered it, I had only just moved down here. Radio blaring, marginally clothed one time, and somewhat clothed the few times I did get passed by it. Always after sunset. Haven't seen him in 3 years. I posted about him some time ago, and I think everyone that replied knew who he was. 

• 2 weeks later...

David Hickman, the singing cowboy, is my brother. He was 64 when he died at the Cape Cod Canal on March 24th. He did, in fact, love riding his bicycle on the canal, did live in his pickup for several years, did attend the maritime academy in Baltimore and was a stock market investor. He graduated from Scituate High and was the middle child out of 5. He loved Johnny Cash and learned how to play the guitar so he could play his songs. 

Thanks for sharing your memories of him.

Hawk Hickman