Ditch Jigger

Some bad news, if true. Another Canal fixture gone before his time

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear that.

 

Saw him numerous times riding the canal service road .  Riding barefoot.  No hands on the handlebars.  Well tanned in his short, shorts singing along to a radio tune. Just enjoying life.  

One day I’m riding down Commercial St in P Town one early morning, and there was Dave with his guitar, humming a tune while sitting in front of the library.  Quite a guy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew his last name at one point, but had forgotten it until I saw his obituary posted on the Book of Faces. 
 

I remember once, I convinced him to ride down toMMA—he hated riding on any kind of road, even Academy Drive—and when we stopped at the Kennedy, he told me about his time in the Merchant Marine. He had a lot of stories that seemed a bit dubious, so I kind of assumed that it was a sea story. Turns out, it wasn’t. He graduated from a maritime school in Baltimore, in1977. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

..... He had a lot of stories that seemed a bit dubious, so I kind of assumed that it was a sea story. Turns out, it wasn’t. He graduated from a maritime school in Baltimore, in1977.

 

Yep.  Along those same lines, I recall chatting with Dave and somehow the subject of stock investing came up.  He seemed fairly knowledgeable about certain subjects, yet I sensed I was being played. 

 

Well, I see in reading his obit, he was indeed a stock market investor.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw him riding probably 100 times at least. Never talked to him. In fact, I'm not sure I ever saw him when he wasn't in motion.

 

RIP Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to him a few times over the years.  A few years back my buddy & I were fishing and he went wizzing by on his bike with no shirt on.  My buddy yelled out "Hey Tubby!"   He locked up the brakes and came over and was kind of upset that he was called tubby.  Not mad, just really concerned that he looked fat.  He kept saying "Do I look fat, do I look fat?"   He was definately a character, all right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joe G said:

 

Yep.  Along those same lines, I recall chatting with Dave and somehow the subject of stock investing came up.  He seemed fairly knowledgeable about certain subjects, yet I sensed I was being played. 

 

Well, I see in reading his obit, he was indeed a stock market investor.

 

 

And yet, he was living out of his truck for 3-4 years. He finally moved in with a woman friend. He also claimed to be a realtor and a mortgage broker at various times.

He also had a bit of a legal problem at one time, involving flags that were hanging from the Route 149 overpass on the Mid-Cape. He showed up, unannounced, at my front door on one Saturday morning, asking me for legal advice. I wouldn't talk to him about the case, because I knew that he had a lawyer, so it would have been an ethical breach for me. 

He definitely had some mental health issues. I talked to him a lot, probably more than anyone on the Canal, and I could always pick up that something was just a little bit off with the guy. But he seemed harmless, and I'm sad about his death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw and heard him for years when fishing the east end.  He was really into Bob Seagar, and would go by with the tape on full blast, singing at the top if his lungs.   Some nights if the wind was right, I could hear him for half a mile.

I never made contact with him though. Aside from the company of a couple close friends, I prefer my privacy. Sometimes a guy like that, though well meaning, can adopt you, and use you as a sounding board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several years from now, at O dark thirty, one of us will hear the distorted sound of a Johnny cash song riding closer and closer then passing and fading into the distance but  no biker or apparent soul will be in sight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bob_G said:

I saw and heard him for years when fishing the east end.  He was really into Bob Seagar, and would go by with the tape on full blast, singing at the top if his lungs.   Some nights if the wind was right, I could hear him for half a mile.

I never made contact with him though. Aside from the company of a couple close friends, I prefer my privacy. Sometimes a guy like that, though well meaning, can adopt you, and use you as a sounding board.  

I think that was a different guy Bob. He only rode at night, with Bob Seeger blasting away. David preferred to ride during the day, as he liked to view the eye candy rollerblading. He was more into Johnny Cash. There was also a time when he got into Pavarotti as well. Sometimes you’d see him sitting in the bed of his truck, playing a guitar and singing, parked in the Sag lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bob seeger guy i used to call "mr top 40". You could hear his distorted radio blaring from a mile away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I think that was a different guy Bob. He only rode at night, with Bob Seeger blasting away. David preferred to ride during the day, as he liked to view the eye candy rollerblading. He was more into Johnny Cash. There was also a time when he got into Pavarotti as well. Sometimes you’d see him sitting in the bed of his truck, playing a guitar and singing, parked in the Sag lot. 

Then I must be thinking about another guy.   99% of my fishing is at night. So if Dave was a daytime only guy then I likely wouldn't have know him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.