NavyFlies

Full Sink Fly Line vs. Sink tip

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am looking to do some FF in the 10'-20' part of the water column. Any suggestion for sinking line vs. sink tip for an 8wt? I have an WF8 I/S6 (30' S6 head). If the answer is full sink does anyone have any good line suggestions? I have looked at depth charge and SA Sonar Titan. I want a line that can handle medium water temperatures and it is hard (for me) to find full sink lines

Thanks

Orvis depth charge.  Non better.  Extremely consistent sink rate.  I have Cortland sink line that cast nice but you never now exactly where it is in the water column.  The orvis line has much better feel of depth control

10 hours ago, Saltydogfishing said:

Orvis depth charge.  Non better.  Extremely consistent sink rate.  I have Cortland sink line that cast nice but you never now exactly where it is in the water column.  The orvis line has much better feel of depth control

Agreed.  

I agree on the Orvis Depth Charge line. Been using them for a long time. The sink rate is very consistent and some wicked fast. I use it to fish all levels but the surface.

full sink = getting down deep in moving water 

Sink tip = better for getting deep in slow or still water

Overall I like sink tips, but the problem is that they are connected to floating so they can sometimes ride to high in the water column. 

1 hour ago, coldwaterfly said:

full sink = getting down deep in moving water 

Sink tip = better for getting deep in slow or still water

Overall I like sink tips, but the problem is that they are connected to floating so they can sometimes ride to high in the water column. 

What about intermediate running line with sink tip? Like for lake fishing how deep do you think a sink 6 with intermediate line would be effective at? I will probably end up getting both. I can see where I may end up using both for fresh and salt

4 mins ago, NavyFlies said:

What about intermediate running line with sink tip? Like for lake fishing how deep do you think a sink 6 with intermediate line would be effective at? I will probably end up getting both. I can see where I may end up using both for fresh and salt

Here is a pretty good diagram of what the lines will do, in any case it really depends on how you initially let the line sink once you get your cast out. Depending on how deep I want to fish I will sometimes let the line sink for 15 or so seconds. Once you start stripping the fly line in it will go towards the surface just because of the angle you are bringing the line back at. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.20.45 PM.png

Is the WF8 I/S6 line you already have a Rio Outbound Short? If so, that line is very heavy and gets down so fast the intermediate running line doesn't hold it up and awful lot. Even the Orvis Depth Charge which is suggested here has and intermediate running line with a 20' section of S3 in between. 

I used to use full sink lines but with these new integrated lines, they seem to work about the same. Just don't get one with a floating running line!

Depends on how much current... If you're in relatively still water it'll definitely get down that deep. It sinks 6 inches per second you just want to count it down, 20 seconds for 10', 30 for 15', 40 for 20' etc. 

Are you fishing from the beach or boat? What are you targeting? 

Interesting, I've never really had that problem with it, although I fish the 9wt and 10wt versions more often... They say they have the same sink rate but I'm not sure. I'm also often fishing very heavy flies when I'm using those lines... Maybe that's something you could try? Although, if you're bombing 90 ft casts out maybe that much intermediate line in the water creates more resistance in the water. In that case maybe you do want a full sink 6.  

Haha. I don't blame you. If you find away around it, please let me know!  In the meantime, good luck on the search and try some heavier weighted flies.