Bxbandit

Wtb rod and reels for use on a kayak

6 posts in this topic

I'm new to fishing on a kayak,  so I am not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I just need a quality rod and reel to use while fishing from a kayak.

20 mins ago, Bxbandit said:

I'm new to fishing on a kayak,  so I am not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I just need a quality rod and reel to use while fishing from a kayak.

What are fishing for? Budget? Spinning or conventional? 

I fish primarily south shore eastern  long island mostly so stripe bass weakfish and fluke. Also I prefer spinning gear. I have no budget provided I'm buying quality gear at a discount.

You could have posed the question in the Kayak or Main forums, then shopped here.

Basically you want an inshore rod, 6’6”-7’6”, medium- medium heavy in power. Medium light and ‘heavy’ could work too, if they apply to your quarry. The more tricky the fish (tautog, sea bass, etc) the more you can spend on sensitivity. For stripers, blues and trolling, almost anything can work. 

Reels in the 3000-4500 size are common. If your new at this, losing a rod over the side is a standard ‘rite of passage’ to consider for that ‘quality’ gear.

My go-to in my kayak is a 7 foot Tsunami Five-star spinning rod, Medium Power ... just bought my 2nd ... bought my 1st 5 years ago and still going strong ... $40. Great inshore rod for throwing 1 Oz and under. Caught keeper fish on it in the rips.

I pair this rod with a Penn Spinfisher (V or VI) 4500 ... will stand up to splashing nicely and won't cost you an arm & a leg. If you are seeking a bargain looked used ... I just picked up a nice Spinfisher V lightly used for $75.