osprey47

Early tog

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

your right .I learned years ago .that both Scup & tautog   pot before they hit baits  in the spring ...last year they had a dent in to quota before a R&R  Tog was sold ,

the water temp in the bay has dropped since I took the boat out two weeks ago to go dry digging.

you want to see what the comorants do in the fall.winter in freshwater ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, had to be over two hundred eating the  fingerling herring ....then they go to the perch.

state / ferderal .will do nothing about  them & seals ......and both are a REal issue               also I watched them & ospreys   slammed  the trout   before  & after it opens .......................I amost feel bad for the golderns   /its like they have a tracker on them ><>,

58 mins ago, clammer said:

state / ferderal .will do nothing about  them & seals ......and both are a REal issue               also I watched them & ospreys   slammed  the trout   before  & after it opens .......................I amost feel bad for the golderns   /its like they have a tracker on them ><>,

i saw the golden ones last year and said they are dead.  Osprey can see them from miles away.

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

i saw the golden ones last year and said they are dead.  Osprey can see them from miles away.

To me there is nothing more unappetizing than a Trout that looks like a goldfish.  

12 hours ago, DZ said:

L Train brings up good points about water temps.  While there might be fish (of all kinds including striped bass) all around that doesn't mean they will feed.  I've witnessed examples of this happening often at the beginning of a season multiple times.  I fish an area in Newport where I've watched a gill netter pull his nets filled with tog just a long cast away, and I won't get a touch on my baits fishing right next to his nets.  A day or two later when the water temp is right we start to get action.  Tide and current may also come into play.  Ocean water flooding into Narragansett Bay might be downright chilly, but when it drops out of the bay it may be  degrees warmer and the bite is on.   Years ago we would watch the fish trap boats coming back into Newport Harbor absolutely over loaded with scup during the last week of April.  But we could not catch a scup with bait until the second week of May.     

I should have known better when there was no one fishing at the old railroad footings or as stone bridge. Wanted to run the boat and look to see if there were some cod in the near offshore waters  off SakonNet, as in prior springs, Fishing

D, I hope you have a great spring,

L

Just now, L Train said:

I should have known better when there was no one fishing at the old railroad footings or as stone bridge. Wanted to run the boat and look to see if there were some cod in the near offshore waters  off SakonNet, as in prior springs, Fishing

D, I hope you have a great spring,

L

Somebody has to be first to catch- give you credit for trying.  

3 hours ago, L Train said:

I should have known better when there was no one fishing at the old railroad footings or as stone bridge

There were. My friend was there this weekend and saw few others. Caught nada.