osprey47

Early tog

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2021 at 11:13 PM, semperfish88 said:

Came across a fillet’d carcass of what was probably a 26”r on the beach in the bay... so someone’s getting on’m 

Thats a good 10-13lber

15 hours ago, L_theguy said:

I will be trying on Monday, probably in tiverton. I hope the bait shops have crabs this week... not trying to flip rocks.. :wag:

Riverside Marine has crabs in. Should have worms this weekend, too.

I was bumping around today in the Tiverton Basin * (Comerants are all nesting there with young birds in the nest, loaded with Comerants) * in 12 ' of water,  Nothing.

Machine noted 48 degrees down to 46 degrees down by Sakonnet.

Looked for some cod in the structure off Sakonnet; no signs of bait and very few fish.

Still too cold... but a beauttiful day and all ran and worked well

Edited by TimS
Overly specific locations removed - folks get twitchy when their backyards are posted on line :-)

L Train brings up good points about water temps.  While there might be fish (of all kinds including striped bass) all around that doesn't mean they will feed.  I've witnessed examples of this happening often at the beginning of a season multiple times.  I fish an area in Newport where I've watched a gill netter pull his nets filled with tog just a long cast away, and I won't get a touch on my baits fishing right next to his nets.  A day or two later when the water temp is right we start to get action.  Tide and current may also come into play.  Ocean water flooding into Narragansett Bay might be downright chilly, but when it drops out of the bay it may be  degrees warmer and the bite is on.   Years ago we would watch the fish trap boats coming back into Newport Harbor absolutely over loaded with scup during the last week of April.  But we could not catch a scup with bait until the second week of May.     

2 hours ago, DZ said:

A day or two later when the water temp is right we start to get action.  Tide and current may also come into play.  

Agreed. After all these years and we still leaning how/when they feed. 

I've fish for tog almost every year. I've gone out on a nice 70 degree day with the water temp barely hit 48. Got a hit or two but no hook up.

Go back a few days or a week later when weather is colder and the water warmed up a bit, then they'll eat. 

My guess they have already been there but not actively eating.