Early tog

Rate this topic

osprey47

Had a greatttttt fall for tog but have never bothered for them in the spring since I came up here. Always been more excited to get into early stripers but now my mindset is to wait until end of April or may for striper and try for spring tog.   I'll be from shore. Do people find them more picky in spring? Same habits? Places ?   I'm probably headed to newport friday to give them a shot. Any input is appreciated 

Spring toggin is awesome,   Doesn't really get going till mid April even though season opens April 1st.     I will catch a few sea lice ridden schoolies at first light on the beach, then switch to Togs.  Often finding crabs at low tide under rocks, I like the small Asian crabs, sometimes they like them whole and live, sometimes two halves cut works better..

*this limit came in 30 minutes on April 28th after catching a bunch of fresh schoolies that morning 

CA7BB361-FAA6-40D6-BE31-A7FC7BCC9CA8.png

1 hour ago, BadMojo said:

Spring toggin is awesome,   Doesn't really get going till mid April even though season opens April 1st.     I will catch a few sea lice ridden schoolies at first light on the beach, then switch to Togs.  Often finding crabs at low tide under rocks, I like the small Asian crabs, sometimes they like them whole and live, sometimes two halves cut works better..

*this limit came in 30 minutes on April 28th after catching a bunch of fresh schoolies that morning 

CA7BB361-FAA6-40D6-BE31-A7FC7BCC9CA8.png

Those are some nice sizes from shore too !!!!

The spring run has all the big breeders close to shore and I find them staging in big schools before going up into estuaries to spawn..     I’ve freedived and spearfished tog since I was a kid..   I’ve seen 100’s pilled up on structure, sometimes won’t touch a crab till the tides right for them to turn on and feed.. (slack and 1-2 hour after and before) I mostly fish in strong current.

25 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

How do u tell the difference?  Obviously if its spewing eggs, it's a girl :howdy:

The color is one giveaway, females tend to be mottled brown and the males tend to be gray over white. Another way is the shape of the lower jaw. Males will tend to have a bulbous white chin and the females don't. in the picture above by bad mojo I would saw that there is 2 females and 1 male in the picture.

1 hour ago, Joser said:

The color is one giveaway, females tend to be mottled brown and the males tend to be gray over white. Another way is the shape of the lower jaw. Males will tend to have a bulbous white chin and the females don't. in the picture above by bad mojo I would saw that there is 2 females and 1 male in the picture.

So left 2 female. Male on right?

Does the jaw bulge come with age or is it always present?

Any way to tell with fluke? 

I'd really like to only keep males if I can. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Ive never gone togging,  but I’m 100% trying this year. Early Last year (April?)  I was in my yak during low tide at a pretty well know spot, and whitnessed The the biggest tog I’v ever seen in my Life swim right under me in 4’ of water. Immediately shifted gears to catch it.. but had nothing tog-worthy. Saw 3 or 4 others that were 24”+ ... but that one was well over 30” ... and that’s being conservative...  this year, I will be waiting. 

agreed though... there almost all females... Resist the urge to keep them... there big and fat for a reason... 

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

So left 2 female. Male on right?

Does the jaw bulge come with age or is it always present?

Any way to tell with fluke? 

I'd really like to only keep males if I can. 

Generally speaking all keeper sized fluke are females.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI