Need some guidance...

Rate this topic

Joeny718

Maybe face the facts and I don't really know, maybe $15K isn't enough for what you want or need. I do know you don't need to be out further than you belong, particularly in something that doesn't belong or is borderline.  The open ocean is unforgiving  and wicked, and it also changes conditions abruptly. Maybe buy a boat for inshore and river type fishing, save the bluie water trips for friends or charter boats. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Lets start with some basic parameters. Min 30', 2 engines 500 hours or less , all the latest safety equipment including an eperb and an enclosed life raft with survival suits. 15K might get you the safety equip and survival gear. Find someone that has the cake for the proper boat and equipment, needs company, and wants to fish off shore,  pay the fuel and you will be safe and better off.

20 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Lets start with some basic parameters. Min 30', 2 engines 500 hours or less , all the latest safety equipment including an eperb and an enclosed life raft with survival suits. 15K might get you the safety equip and survival gear. Find someone that has the cake for the proper boat and equipment, needs company, and wants to fish off shore,  pay the fuel and you will be safe and better off.

30-foot minimum, I just don't buy.  And there's not a guide on the East Coast who fishes outboards offshore and trades them out after 500 hours. 3,000-4,000 hours is closer.

Did some of my best tournament work out of a 25-foot Pursuit with a pair of 150 Yamahas.  Took home checks for bigeye, bluefin, yellowfin, white marlin, mako, and other sharks.  Repowered at 1,500 hours back then, but those were two-strokes; current four-strokes hold up far better.  Thought nothing of running out to the canyon--68 to the tip of Hudson from my inlet--so long as the forecast, and my feel for its accuracy--was sound.

One can--and I did--take tuna and shark from a 20-footer, provided that you keep a close eye on the weather and know when not to leave the inlet.

EPIRB, yes.  enclosed life raft--not needed on most of the coast during the primary season.  Switlik platform will do fine.  You're not going to be on the water longer than overnight, and so long as the EPIRB functions, a lot less time than that.  Most of the time, you're running between an inlet and a popular location, and you'll have boats passing, headed out or headed home, throughout the day.  Same thoughts about survival suits--during the shoulder season, running out to an April wreck or chasing late-season bluefin, maybe.  But on most of the coast they';re just not needed.

Be careful.  Make sure you're boat is in good shape.  Have basic gear.  But no need making this harder than it has to be.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams