Need some guidance...

Rate this topic

Joeny718

Whats up gents,

I have about 15k and want to get a boat that can handle offshore conditions. I know 15k isn't a whole lot but if any of the pros can guide my on what kind of boat to get and what problems to look for in buying used. In this price range it seems I can afford in boat from the 90's - besides engine hours, and electronics any negatives of buying a boat this age? Dont need anything fancy, just a safe boat to get out on the water and do some fishing

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated!

Define "offshore conditions."

I've been running my own boats offshore since '83, and started out taking the cut-rate approach, with a bare-bones 20-foot Sea Ox commercial model and 115 hp Johnson, but I suspect that even the equivalent of that would cost more than $15,000 today.  Hooked up with a lot of good fish from that boat--tuna, makos, threshers, a big tiger (I think--lost it after 5 hours 35 minutes to a bluefish hitting a piece of chum on the line), etc.--but it was definitely the bare minimum for "offshore."

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but offshore--which I'll define is that point when the land disappears, just for convenience--isn't a place to cut corners.  Do you have the electronics to get you home, and the navigation skills to get you home when the electronics go down?  That adds to the basic price, too.

As to what can go wrong with a boat besides bad electronics and an engine that breaks down at the worst possible time, there are rotten transoms, corroded fuel tanks, corroded wiring, stringers that are no longer firmly attached to the hull, rotten decks, bad control cables, deteriorating fuel lines, corroding through-hull fittings, etc.

After all, the '90s started more than 30 years ago (for the record, I'm currently running a boat that I bought new in 1999, so '90s-built boats aren't out of the question, but I've also repowered and went through a full insurance survey two years ago (because insurance companies don't like insuring old boats without a survey).

My advice--fish offshore with others for a bit, make sure you enjoy offshore angling, and keep saving until you can get something newer that will pass a pre-purchase survey.  And if you do purchase now, the survey will be even more important.  You'll never feel so alone as you will in a boat offshore when things start to go wrong.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Use the 15000 as a down payment on a better boat.  Fuel issues are the most common problem with older boats and if they are used how long have they been sitting with fuel in the tank.  I’m going through that issue right now with a 2002 boat I just purchased.  Fuel issues suck. 

(*member formerly known as 'Davidianfishing')

On 3/27/2021 at 9:36 AM, CWitek said:

Define "offshore conditions."

I've been running my own boats offshore since '83, and started out taking the cut-rate approach, with a bare-bones 20-foot Sea Ox commercial model and 115 hp Johnson, but I suspect that even the equivalent of that would cost more than $15,000 today.  Hooked up with a lot of good fish from that boat--tuna, makos, threshers, a big tiger (I think--lost it after 5 hours 35 minutes to a bluefish hitting a piece of chum on the line), etc.--but it was definitely the bare minimum for "offshore."

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but offshore--which I'll define is that point when the land disappears, just for convenience--isn't a place to cut corners.  Do you have the electronics to get you home, and the navigation skills to get you home when the electronics go down?  That adds to the basic price, too.

As to what can go wrong with a boat besides bad electronics and an engine that breaks down at the worst possible time, there are rotten transoms, corroded fuel tanks, corroded wiring, stringers that are no longer firmly attached to the hull, rotten decks, bad control cables, deteriorating fuel lines, corroding through-hull fittings, etc.

After all, the '90s started more than 30 years ago (for the record, I'm currently running a boat that I bought new in 1999, so '90s-built boats aren't out of the question, but I've also repowered and went through a full insurance survey two years ago (because insurance companies don't like insuring old boats without a survey).

My advice--fish offshore with others for a bit, make sure you enjoy offshore angling, and keep saving until you can get something newer that will pass a pre-purchase survey.  And if you do purchase now, the survey will be even more important.  You'll never feel so alone as you will in a boat offshore when things start to go wrong.

Another good 'dear cwitek' response

I will add:  Used boat pricing is crazy right now.  I am of the belief that what this administration is doing, assuming they get what they want, will leave economic marks if you will.  Boats are among the first things to go.  15K, as mentioned, probably won't get you in the game right now.  Who knows, there may be fire sales in the future, be patient

On 3/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, makorider said:

Another good 'dear cwitek' response

I will add:  Used boat pricing is crazy right now.  I am of the belief that what this administration is doing, assuming they get what they want, will leave economic marks if you will.  Boats are among the first things to go.  15K, as mentioned, probably won't get you in the game right now.  Who knows, there may be fire sales in the future, be patient

Yes the time to buy a boat will be the end of 2022. Real estate in 2023. If the dems keep the house and or the senate both will keep going down from there. Save your money folks it will be a buyers market before long.!!

2 mins ago, danta said:

last year i purchased a 2002 seapro 235 walkaround torunament series 24ft  inboard/ouboard fuel injection merc. sonar/gps with 140 gal gas tank. Would this be considered an offshore boat?

Don't know the particular boat, or its condition.  Don't know tje fuel consumpion of the engine.

Good rule to follow is that you use 1/3 of your fuel to run off and fish, save 2/3 for the ride home.  Not sure how far off that would take you with just a 140 gal. tank, although the I/O should provide half-decent fuel economy.

And, of course, you've just got one engine, which could create a problem if it goes down.  And I don't know what quality your compass is, in case your GPS goes down and you've got to come home the old way.  Is the VHF radio and antenna in good shape?  Do you have an EPIRB?  Liferaft?  

They there's the question of the overall condition of the boat.  Has it been surveyed and found to be sound?

If all is good, you could take it offshore, always keeping the boat's capabilities, along with your own, in mind.  

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

On 3/26/2021 at 1:23 PM, Joeny718 said:

Whats up gents,

I have about 15k and want to get a boat that can handle offshore conditions. I know 15k isn't a whole lot but if any of the pros can guide my on what kind of boat to get and what problems to look for in buying used. In this price range it seems I can afford in boat from the 90's - besides engine hours, and electronics any negatives of buying a boat this age? Dont need anything fancy, just a safe boat to get out on the water and do some fishing

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated!

Buy the best PFD that you can and wear it!!!