SigTauSherman

Lowrance hook reveal 5

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Looking to upgrade the fish finder in my boat. It came  with the piranhamax 4 which seems to be about as basic as can be. Looking to stay on the lower end price wise as I don’t need any crazy features and I fish mostly lakes and rivers. The hook reveal 5 seems to have good reviews overall and was wondering if anyone here used it and could let me know their thoughts. The biggest thing I would like to gain is the ability to use the depth finder while the boat is moving. The one I have now stops at just a few miles an hour and some of the rivers I’m in have some real shallow areas.

I have the Hook Reveal 5 on my kayak and really like it.  I went with the split shot version so it has down scan but not side scan.  Very happy with the unit, I really like the Genesis live mapping feature too.

Re transducer losing the bottom it's likely because the transducer isn't mounted low enough.  Once the boat starts to move the turbulence from water going over transom puts air under transducer and they don't work.  There are a bunch of YouTube videos on placement suggest you watch a couple to make sure you're correct.

I had that issue on my garmins.  Initially I mounted too low and it was spraying water all over my outboard so I moved it up.  Went too high and transducer was clear of water.  Worked great at 5mph and less.  Then I used a straightedge to get it just right so it's more like a ski with a slight downangle and it maintains water contact and the spray is reduced.