Vt coast

Tippet for northern pike

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

mono, coated wire?.. Too thin on the mono and you get bit off. Put on wire and no more hits. Any thoughts on a good leader/tippet recipe?

The only northern pike I ever caught was when I was in the back of my friend's grandfather's rowboat trolling a red devil on whatever rod his grandfather set us up with. I am pretty sure it was just mono with a swivel. This was the summer between 8th and 9th grade on a trip to his grandparents in St. Albans on the big lake.

I have been to Canada on two different trips targeting pike on the fly. We used two different tippets and didn't see much difference in fish landed.

Coated wire - fewer takes but higher success in landing fish that were hooked.

25# fluoro - more takes but a few more bite offs.

At the end of the day we decided that 25# fluoro was probably the best answer. But make sure to use fluoro and not mono. The extra abrasion will pay off.

Biggest pike on fly was just shy of 15lb, used like a 4-5’ section of 40lb floro. Don’t worry about a long leader, they aren’t too shy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I go back and forth between 40lb mono and the Berkley Bite stuff. When I lose a couple I end up going back to the wire. 

Edited by Lucky

I used 40 lb flouro for a few months of tragic heartbreak when I hooked some of the biggest local pike I've seen and lost every one of them.Not any more.

80lb flouro or some  kind of wire.Knot 2 kinky is good stuff,super thin and strong AF and doesn't curl up like knottable but's it not as easy to work w/ as a more flexible/knottable wire.A lot of the knottables kink up so bad on a fish you have to retie after fighting one,esp if they took it well into their mouth.

I've been using Rio Powerflex Bite Tippet in  30#.  I try to compromise and only  only use about 8". Seems to work. Much better than the Cortland Tyger Wire I use to use.  Bout that time for pike to head to the shallows. 

Consider it might be a change in action from mono to wire or your leader setup I would experiment between 80lb fluro and solid strand wire and see what action it gives you on muskies I have not had issues with at least 80lb fluro but with wire which is heavier fly tends to nose dive and not t bone as much generally they like to attack a side profile when you get the fly to t bone

I use 25# fluorocarbon tippet when I fish for pike.  We go up to a lake in Northern Ontario, usually in late July or early August, not the time of the year for big pike.  The ones we catch range from 20 to 30 inches.  I haven't had that many bite-offs over the years.  Also I tie my streamers on long shank hooks.  The Daiihci 2461 is the hook I use most of the times.

I’ve never fished for pike, but when I’m sight casting to big bluefish I use a bite 60-pound fluoro biteguard of about 12 inches and rarely get cut off. Biteguard connects to leader with a slim beauty knot, and fly is connected with a double figure eight loop. 

Sounds good. I think I'll start with 4' of 35# mono and 3' of 25# flouro and go from there...Thanks for the great options.

If you want to over-think it (as I do), search YT for a pike/musky leader set up by Pogo Pike.  

I copy what many Esox guides do and I add bite guard to each of my flies - either wire or 60# flouro.  I then tie a perfection loop in the line end, and a big perfection loop in on my leader.  Allows me to change out flies without having to deal with tying on new bite guards.

I would challenge the idea that pike are leader shy.  I've caught too many on a figure 8.  Forget a leader, the actual rod tip is slashing through the water 12" from the fly.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you are only targeting pike and there's even a slight chance to catch bigger specimens, use wire or at least #50+ fluoro. The only time I use anything else than wire is in the warm water period when I'm doing mixed species fishing with small flies(mostly Clousers) for pike, perch and zander up here in Finland. That's when I use 35 to 50lb fluoro depending on how picky the fish are. Other than that time period I use wire. Even though in general I hate using fluoro, it does work substantially better on teeth than mono.  

Edited by jabster