Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PSegnatelli

Cutting drag discs

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Ive got some old spinning reels Im getting back into action.  

Most are Japanese from the 60s-70s. No real brand names or parts available.  Stuff like Kmart brand & Scorpion. 

All have the felt or leather drag disc.  I'd like to swap them out for carbon or teflon.  

I see carbon sheet is available, is teflon?     

Go carbon.

Drill a hole that matches what you need, rough cut to OD and spin against a piece of 120 grit sand paper.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use these to make Carbontex drag washers. Just measure the inner and outer dimensions and I will send you some. Measure the inner of the spool or metal washers and the outer of the spool shaft or the inner of the metal washers.

3E68C402-236C-4D8A-808C-C86CAA1A4421.jpeg

B9F255DB-C194-410D-890D-E3919DA1F5C3.jpeg

Edited by handi2

1 hour ago, handi2 said:

I use these to make Carbontex drag washers. Just measure the inner and outer dimensions and I will send you some. Measure the inner of the spool or metal washers and the outer of the spool shaft or the inner of the metal washers.

3E68C402-236C-4D8A-808C-C86CAA1A4421.jpeg

B9F255DB-C194-410D-890D-E3919DA1F5C3.jpeg

Thanks for the offer.   What tool is that?  Looks fun!

I use a bench press using the adapter shown in the top picture. I don’t use the long adapter shown in the kit. That’s for using a hammer. I only make ones for odd reels. I buy the kits from Dawn at Smooth Drag and the sheets from her too. The sheets are expensive for the real Carbontex. 

The kit shown is around $300.00..!! I have their metric kit too so I can get them just right. Most of the time it takes a mix of metric cutters and inch cutters. 

Anyone ever use carbontex with felt?

I like the smoothness of felt but the bottom washer disintegrates.

Thinking of replacing bottom washer with carb and felt on top?

Crazy or not.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, olvart said:

Anyone ever use carbontex with felt?

I like the smoothness of felt but the bottom washer disintegrates.

Thinking of replacing bottom washer with carb and felt on top?

Crazy or not.

I’ve noticed that too. Seems reasonable to me. You probably want to oil the felt and heavy grease that bottom carbon fiber disc. I think the carbon drag will catch at less tension and bear the brunt of the fight, but with heavy grease it should be fine. Just my humble opinion! 

in fact, I have a Nasci 4K (felt) and the 5k (cf). I might put a cf in the bottom & steal a felt off the top & rotate a little. Meh, I’m too lazy. 

5 hours ago, EricDice said:

I’ve noticed that too. Seems reasonable to me. You probably want to oil the felt and heavy grease that bottom carbon fiber disc. I think the carbon drag will catch at less tension and bear the brunt of the fight, but with heavy grease it should be fine. Just my humble opinion! 

in fact, I have a Nasci 4K (felt) and the 5k (cf). I might put a cf in the bottom & steal a felt off the top & rotate a little. Meh, I’m too lazy. 

I started a new thread on this,don’t want to hijack this thread:howdy:..