BrianBM

Georgia's new election law.

Rate this topic

158 posts in this topic

Yes, from the NYT. My favorite source.

"The Republican-controlled Georgia Legislature on Thursday passed a sweeping bill to limit voting access, putting the state on the verge of becoming the first major battleground to overhaul its electoral process since last year’s election. The bill, which follows Democratic victories that flipped the state at the presidential and Senate levels, will now head to the desk of Gov. Brian Kemp, a Republican, who is expected to sign it.

Democrats and voting rights groups have condemned the legislation, arguing that it unfairly targets voters of color. They say it particularly seeks to make voting harder for the state’s large Black population, which was crucial to President Biden’s victory in Georgia in November and the success of Senators Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff in the January runoff elections.

Though the bill is less stringent than its initial iteration was, it introduces a raft of new restrictions for voting and elections in the state, including stricter voter identification requirements, limiting drop boxes, [limiting the authority o f the SoS], imposing new oversight of county election boards, restricting who can vote with provisional ballots, and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in lines.* The bill also requires runoff elections to be held four weeks after the original vote, instead of the current nine weeks.

The bill does not include some of the harshest restrictions that had been introduced in its earlier versions, like a ban on Sunday voting that had been seen as [an attack on Black churches' political activities] in driving turnout. And the legislation now, in fact, expands early voting options in some areas. No-excuse absentee voting, in which voters do not have to provide a rationale for casting a ballot by mail, also remains in place, though new restrictions such as providing a state-issued identification card have been placed on the process."

*BBM underlining

I think this is carefully calibrated, between what the Legislature really wanted, on the one hand, and what the Legislature thinks the Supreme Court will let them get away with, on the other hand. Reduce, but don't eliminate, the use of drop boxes. Keep the SoS on a tight leash; the next time a Republican President has a problem with the vote, the SoS should be much more responsive to the President's concerns.  ;)    It needs to be much easier to find 11, 380 overlooked Republican votes, right?  Reducing the time available for a runoff election favors whomever has the better party organization.

I really, really like the criminalizing of providing food or water to voters waiting on line. Eliminating drop boxes, etc., will ensure that more people have to stand on line. Got that? If you make sure they stay thirsty, some of them will drop out. This will ensure that the remaining voters are, like, sincere. Or something. ;)

This comes, of course, with absolutely zero evidence of voter fraud. This doesn't matter. The absence of evidence means that the fraud was really, really clever. Got that?  And what else would expect of a fraud arranged by George Soros, probably Barack Obama, Vicente Maduro, Joe Biden, with Chinese help, and Saul Alinsky** and Fidel Castro. **

** You thought they were dead? That's what the lying MSM wants you to think 

Now PA, NY, NJ, MI, WI, MN, AZ and others need to follow their example and maybe the folks will trust the next election cycle results.

Gee whiz, how the heck did we ever conduct elections on election day in the past?     :headscratch:

How is requiring positive ID to cast a ballot targeting people of color?

14 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Gee whiz, how the heck did we ever conduct elections on election day in the past?     :headscratch:

The lily white left says so.

4 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Keeping them thirsty will keep them honest.

Will just the people of color get thirsty?

N j ,I believe requires I d   to vote....if your a legal citizen you can vote.register in the appropriate voting district...the law suit by preventing any one to vote is got be a few million in damages...stop the bull c h I t no one is preventing a legal citizen from voting....

18 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

If required ID to vote is racist, how do those ideas apply to people who wanna buy guns? Or drive a car? Or open their own business? 

Double standard

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, DeepWaters said:

If required ID to vote is racist, how do those ideas apply to people who wanna buy guns? Or drive a car? Or open their own business? 

Double standard

I will have to provide ID and proof of residency to get my China Virus vax, I will also have to travel to the next town to get the jab. Is that a restriction?

Are black folks unable to do these simple things? Personally,I don't think so, apparently Dems think them incapable of performing tasks white folks accomplish every day. I suspect the OP doesn't think gun buyers are inconvenienced by having to provide ID, maybe he can explain the difference in 600 words or less.

Edited by Jetty Jumper

3 hours ago, Jetty Jumper said:

I will have to provide ID and proof of residency to get my China Virus vax, I will also have to travel to the next town to get the jab. Is that a restriction?

Are black folks unable to do these simple things? Personally,I don't think so, apparently Dems think them incapable of performing tasks white folks accomplish every day. I suspect the OP doesn't think gun buyers are inconvenienced by having to provide ID, maybe he can explain the difference in 600 words or less.

The soft bigotry of low expectation. Democrats would have you believe Black folks are too stupid to get an ID and too weak to stand in a line.