Livefreeordie

Is Kastking Braid any good?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

If you've actually used Kastking, is it any good?

I want PowerPro (the regular 8 strand spectra) but can't find it cheap.

I'm not in a hurry and will likely wait for a deal on PP, but the price of Kastking has me asking

I’ve used KastKing right alongside Power Pro and have been pleased with its performance.

I do feel that the KastKing has a thicker diameter than Power Pro of the same strength.

KastKing is quite limp right off the factory spool. Almost like well broken in Power Pro.

I have not had any mysterious break offs with KastKing.

I do feel I get more wind knots with KastKing than Power Pro but nothing crazy and I can usually pick it out fairly easily.

KastKing is good stuff for the price you’ll pay and I think it’s worth experimenting with.

I purchased several thousand yards of 30lb KastKing a few years back and it’s holding up well.

I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Do I think it’s as good as Power Pro?

If money is not an issue at all, I’d take Power Pro over KastKing.

But, KastKing has it over Power Pro in the “best bang for your buck” category.

For what you’ll spend on KastKing, you’ll get a good deal of Power Pro’s performance but at a much better price.

Why would you cheap out on your connection to the fish? Is the possibility of losing the fish of a lifetime, or your dinner for that matter worth the $10-15 extra bucks you'll spend on decent line?

Some things I've noticed about kastking braid when I bought a spool for a backup setup.

• A bit softer than powerpro but not as soft as J-braid
  • Bleeds like crazy. Ordered their blue color and it turned greenish-white after 10 trips with it.
  • Thicker in diameter slightly than powerpro
  • Haven't had any freak snap offs with it over the time I've had it
  • Powerpro has a slightly better edge in casting distance. IDK when I felt the line it was quite bumpy as compared to powerpro.

46 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Why would you cheap out on your connection to the fish? Is the possibility of losing the fish of a lifetime, or your dinner for that matter worth the $10-15 extra bucks you'll spend on decent line?

. .. guess whose famous (infamous) for mysterious breakoffs . . . you're right, I've lost not "a fish of a lifetime" but definitely "dinner for that matter" on PP . . . KK is not decent line? . . . I'll take KK over PP specially with that extra bucks in my pocket :wave: 

54 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Have you used the product I'm asking about? With respect: I just wanna hear from those who who've used it

I tried it last year, I did not have any issues but I was not a huge fan. I thought it was thicker than power pro, didn't cast as well and it had crazy color fade. 

I use KastKing 80lbs for Togging since there's lot of snag and break offs because of it.  

I use Sufix 832 30lbs for casting

I use any thinner line for anything less than 30lbs.

As mentioned above KastKing is thicker than other lines and that's the reason I use it for Togging.  Any thing other than that, I pay extra to get thinner lines for casting.

I have been using kk braid for 3 ish years. I attached a pic. I think it’s is much better than pp. you get some line bleed like pp and I feel it casts much better 

B4057F50-3926-47AB-BAC1-09865EB44003.jpeg

Small sample size but I've had mysterious breakoffs on their 65lb and 30lb while the 20lb was strong enough that the BG3000 internals broke from fishing the drag too high.

I switched to all jbraid, very happy with the switch.

I tried the 20# SuperPower braid on a fluke set up.  I didn't like it.  I don't remember why, its been a few years.  I took it off after one or 2 uses.