DeepBlue85

Targeting spawning striped bass is a g.d disgrace

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

It matters because of whats stated above ... those south would have to let the biomass just pass by and only target on the fall return. 

The fishery is in the crapper, why target them right before they spawn? Only having them in that location for a while doesn’t matter. 

if the fishery was in good shape, it would still be a bad idea but tolerable. 

Beating (intentionally) on prespawn fish when the population is in decline is beyond dumb. 

Do the right thing and give them a break, that is if you want fish in the future. 

13 hours ago, EricDice said:

I’m not disagreeing but I am torn about this. If you don’t have beach access, and you’re a responsible angler, it feels wrong to completely close the fishery to even C&R. People who live upstate with no reasonable ability to hit the “windows.”

I think I’m taking the @hobobob point to a logical extension. 

The Windows for example are pre & post spawn Chesapeake, the bay shores of springtime in NJ / specific stretches of beach in Fall, the rocks at Montauk, the CCC, block island, LI Sound, etc. And all of these places have those windows that are also a specific semi or even highly predictable leg of the migration pattern built initially around spawning. If fish are being slaughtered in the CCC, or the Chessy, or anywhere else during the “window” of a specific leg, then they should be equally managed or closed regardless of this particular year’s spawn. 

In other words, if we are allowing cows to be targeted in the CCC during the hot stage of that run, then it’s hard not to allow at least a C&R fishery in the upper Hudson or the middle Delaware or the various arms of the Chesapeake. And it’s even more egregious with regards to boats, private/ charter / party, etc. (For reasons you don’t need my uneducated opinion on so let that be.)

The Chesapeake has closed the Susquehanna Flats from April-May 15. No striper fishing for all of April in the bay and tributaries. You can’t even fish the spawning areas until June 1.  This is when we in the Chesapeake have our best chances at the cows but the season is now closed. It is what it is and if it helps the bass I’m for it. We’re also having a two week closure from July 16-30th because of the heat. 

I do wish they would get rid of trophy season which you can only keep a bass if it’s over 35”. 

What are other states doing to help reduce dead stripers? 

I feel like a lot of the blame gets passed to the Chesapeake but the northern party boats put an absolute beat down on spawning sized bass. At least most md fish they are catching and keeping are like 19-26”. While the md DNR isn’t perfect by any means I feel like we have the most selective regulations out of the entire coast. 

I love river fishing. I agree that fish for pre spawn or in the spawning area is not a good practice for any fish.

But, its some of my best fishing these days.

I only target males and also females on the way out after spawning. 

It's quite difficult to do this. Helps me feel better about early spring river striper fishing which I can't give up. 

The way the fishery is right now the prespawn or post spawn target are equally problematic.

Really we need actual envirinmental management. These threads pop up when its too late. The ship is sinking and has momentum.

15 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

Delaware is catch and release in spawning grounds, I would have thought the Hudson would have been given same restrictions until mid may. 

Even catch and release is dodgy, as the trauma of being caught may prevent a fish from spawning.  The should be NO fishing allowed for any species prior to and during spawning.  After they've spawned, then it's time to fish.

Yes I know, in a pigs eye, but that is a single step that could have a huge impact on any species, especially stripers...

Hate to brag, but Maine has it correct in the Kennebec river system, our one native, reproducing striper river.  Time for VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY & CT to take responsibility!!

KENNEBEC WATERSHED RULES:

CATCH & RELEASE SEASON WITH SPECIAL GEAR RESTRICTIONS From May 1 through June 30, inclusive. Fishing in this area is restricted to single hooked* artificial lures only and use of or possession of marine bait, dead or alive, is prohibited. (* may be a single treble hook)

OPEN SEASON July 1 through November 30, inclusive.

CLOSED SEASON Striped bass fishing is prohibited from December 1 through June 30, inclusive.

2 hours ago, ATBfish said:

The Chesapeake has closed the Susquehanna Flats from April-May 15. No striper fishing for all of April in the bay and tributaries. You can’t even fish the spawning areas until June 1.  This is when we in the Chesapeake have our best chances at the cows but the season is now closed. It is what it is and if it helps the bass I’m for it. We’re also having a two week closure from July 16-30th because of the heat. 

I do wish they would get rid of trophy season which you can only keep a bass if it’s over 35”. 

I feel like a lot of the blame gets passed to the Chesapeake but the northern party boats put an absolute beat down on spawning sized bass. At least most md fish they are catching and keeping are like 19-26”. While the md DNR isn’t perfect by any means I feel like we have the most selective regulations out of the entire coast. 

I wouldn't have a problem with Maryland if it patterend its regulations after Virginia's, particularly with respect to the summer closure.  And, as you pointed out, the trophy season is not a good thing; Maryland is now the only place in the entire range of the coastal migratory stock where a female over 38" long may be killed.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:07 AM, tristate said:

The 18” rule was a gift to the commercial people years ago. At 18” Stripers are large enough that 1 fillet was a serving, making it a desired size for sale. 

No commercial harvest in the Hudson. All harvest there is recreational “ anglers”.

3 hours ago, ATBfish said:

Stop, saying Maryland sucks is far too kind. That state is an absolute scourge. 

MD whined and cried in 2014, fought against any change to regs. The coast took a ~30% reduction (I may be off a few points) and because of MDs whining they took a 20% reduction. Problem is, MD overfished by 50% in the following years and essentially destroyed to 2011 year class. 

when this thing finally crashes we will be able to thank NJ and MD as the main cause. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A major issue that I have is with regard to the variables that scientists make their assessments and recommendations.  One of those variables is recruitment and year-class strength and the year to year variances that occur based on a multitude of unpredictable factors that all seem to conspire against better striped bass spawning.  I'v herd global warming and a few other more distant excuses lauded as major contributors and while I'm not entirely against the notion, what is clear to me is it seems people want to pick an choose what factors effect striped bass...no matter how distant. 

Eliminating one unpredictable, ever growing and uncontrolable factor  in this case the targeting of spawning striped bass, may be the most obvious place to start with regard to fisheries science and establishing all factors that influence year to year recruitment and subsequent year-classes and yet here we are beating the proverbial uneducated dead horse(s).

So in this instance, stopping short at how damaging the targeting of spawning striped bass is, is just slightly hypocritical in-terms of wanting to quantify and acknowledge any impact to striped bass spawning-----no matter how distant.  If recreational mortality is as the asmfc have suggested to the degree equipment regulations are established, then how could they ever in our life times not regulate heavily, a fishery where the most precious aspect of the resource of spawning fish are directly impacted by the gear and the statistics the asmfc them selves established?   If an il-advised slot limit was put in place to protect breeding stock biomas on one end of the chain, why would we allow a spawning fishery to ever exist in the first place? If we are going to look for any and every factor that's straining the fishery's success and recovery then in the spirit of TRANSPARENCY, HONESTY AND CONSISTENCY OF EFFORT,  the issue of targeting spawning striped bass needs to be discussed and spoken out against as staunchly as the rest. the hypocrisy of the asmfc is obvious, egregious and an effing disgrace.

-- apologies for the long winded rant

Edited by DeepBlue85

A pretty simple and logical way to manage all fish species would be to have closed seasons during their spawning season. We have the science showing when and where all species spawn so shut it down appropriately. Seems like common sense but I guess there is none of that with fisheries management. 

The Chessie accounts for 70% of the population, anyone know the % breakdown between the Hudson and Delaware? Do CT. rivers support spawning?

Lateral Line, please share, how do you target male stripers, and then females post spawn, size of bait?

6 hours ago, pakalolo said:

No commercial harvest in the Hudson. All harvest there is recreational “ anglers”.

I may have misunderstood nfnDrum. I thought he was asking where the 18” rule came from historically, before the first crash in Striper population. I believe there was a commercial fishery in the past.