DeepBlue85

Targeting spawning striped bass is a g.d disgrace

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

I never understood the 18" rule, and never understood why the season would open pre spawn. As a catch a release guy I know what parameters would benefit me but would piss off the masses. Treat it like lake bass catch and release artificial only until after the spawn. I think its all bull**** the only option to have the stock bounce back strong is a closure for a few years. It should have happened 5 years ago. 

The 18” rule was a gift to the commercial people years ago. At 18” Stripers are large enough that 1 fillet was a serving, making it a desired size for sale. 

The other day I was fishing for shad and this guy next to me was fishing for stripers. He caught an absolute pig. I was impressed by the size of the fish but at the same time totally disgusted that he was fishing for spawning stripers. I was about to throw a stone but realized I already caught 10 spawning shad. Not to mention I’ve caught a river salmon or two in my day.

yeah, I agree with you and don’t fish for them, but my glass house has some broken windows that I need to fix first.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Jason B said:

The other day I was fishing for shad and this guy next to me was fishing for stripers. He caught an absolute pig. I was impressed by the size of the fish but at the same time totally disgusted that he was fishing for spawning stripers. I was about to throw a stone but realized I already caught 10 spawning shad. Not to mention I’ve caught a river salmon or two in my day.

yeah, I agree with you and don’t fish for them, but my glass house has some broken windows that I need to fix first.

If its in season to each their own Id never push my view on others. A legal fish is a a legal fish, If its out of season or illegal size I say toss a brick. Hey we all have our own logic. Is targeting spawning bass for catch and release with artificial allot better, I don't know, i assume it is. But I could be killing more bass then someone who catches one and leaves. 

Edited by nfnDrum

Just now, nfnDrum said:

If its in season to each their own a legal fish is a legal fish, If its out of season I say toss a brick.

Sometimes one needs to be a little smarter than the law...

intentionally done, in season or not, one would still be an asshat. 

3 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Sometimes one needs to be a little smarter than the law...

intentionally done, in season or not, one would still be an asshat. 

Keeping or catch and release?

Edited by nfnDrum

Delaware is catch and release in spawning grounds, I would have thought the Hudson would have been given same restrictions until mid may. 

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links - thanks :-)

8 hours ago, CWitek said:

Doesn't do much harm in South Carolina, where fish populations are unique to each river, dams have denied access to the spawning grounds for most of the fish, and they can't enter the coastal migratory stock.

To the extent that the bass were originally native to the rivers where they're currently stocked, it doesn't even add invasives to the area.

I generally despise hatcheries, but this is one of the few cases where they probably aren't doing material harm.

Except where it might give the "powers-that-be" an idea that just because they are putting XX many fish into the system it means that there are now XX number more that can be harvested. That only makes sense from a "business" point of view, but we all know that from a "wildlife" point of view it is a losing venture.

Just curious where you guys draw the line.  Like it or not, the entire spring run is pretty much spawning SB fishing  On the way, Staging area, etc, etc.  Even if you are hundreds miles from spawning area, you still targeting potential spawning bass. Catch and release? No fishing at all?

29 mins ago, hobobob said:

Just curious where you guys draw the line.  Like it or not, the entire spring run is pretty much spawning SB fishing  On the way, Staging area, etc, etc.  Even if you are hundreds miles from spawning area, you still targeting potential spawning bass. Catch and release? No fishing at all?

That’s a pretty overlooked fact. The migration patterns in Spring are largely  due to pre & post spawn movement - making it a slippery slope argument. 

Still, the sizable breeders need to be protected at all times & especially prespawn. 

Edited by EricDice
Slippery

55 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

Keeping or catch and release?

Why does it matter?

I don’t thinking stressing fat pregnant fish is a wise idea and not without significant potential of release mortality from pure stress. 

Just let them be for a few weeks. It’s not really a lot to ask. 

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Why does it matter?

I don’t thinking stressing fat pregnant fish is a wise idea and not without significant potential of release mortality from pure stress. 

I’m not disagreeing but I am torn about this. If you don’t have beach access, and you’re a responsible angler, it feels wrong to completely close the fishery to even C&R. People who live upstate with no reasonable ability to hit the “windows.”

I think I’m taking the @hobobob point to a logical extension. 

The Windows for example are pre & post spawn Chesapeake, the bay shores of springtime in NJ / specific stretches of beach in Fall, the rocks at Montauk, the CCC, block island, LI Sound, etc. And all of these places have those windows that are also a specific semi or even highly predictable leg of the migration pattern built initially around spawning. If fish are being slaughtered in the CCC, or the Chessy, or anywhere else during the “window” of a specific leg, then they should be equally managed or closed regardless of this particular year’s spawn. 

In other words, if we are allowing cows to be targeted in the CCC during the hot stage of that run, then it’s hard not to allow at least a C&R fishery in the upper Hudson or the middle Delaware or the various arms of the Chesapeake. And it’s even more egregious with regards to boats, private/ charter / party, etc. (For reasons you don’t need my uneducated opinion on so let that be.)

24 mins ago, EricDice said:

I’m not disagreeing but I am torn about this. If you don’t have beach access, and you’re a responsible angler, it feels wrong to completely close the fishery to even C&R. People who live upstate with no reasonable ability to hit the “windows.”

I think I’m taking the @hobobob point to a logical extension. 

The Windows for example are pre & post spawn Chesapeake, the bay shores of springtime in NJ / specific stretches of beach in Fall, the rocks at Montauk, the CCC, block island, LI Sound, etc. And all of these places have those windows that are also a specific semi or even highly predictable leg of the migration pattern built initially around spawning. If fish are being slaughtered in the CCC, or the Chessy, or anywhere else during the “window” of a specific leg, then they should be equally managed or closed regardless of this particular year’s spawn. 

In other words, if we are allowing cows to be targeted in the CCC during the hot stage of that run, then it’s hard not to allow at least a C&R fishery in the upper Hudson or the middle Delaware or the various arms of the Chesapeake. And it’s even more egregious with regards to boats, private/ charter / party, etc. (For reasons you don’t need my uneducated opinion on so let that be.)

I understand but do we want to have a fishery or make people happy? You can’t always have both. 

It’s stupid to target fish as they stage and spawn. 

47 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Why does it matter?

Spot on

6 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Why does it matter?

It matters because of whats stated above ... those south would have to let the biomass just pass by and only target on the fall return. 

Edited by nfnDrum

Would only opening bass on the fall run be a solution? Seems like that or closure. 

Edited by nfnDrum