Targeting spawning striped bass is a g.d disgrace

Rate this topic

DeepBlue

If I wanted to take an ethical approach in the upper Hudson area (outside Albany), how would you suggest I proceed?

My understanding is they spawn around April 20, and some stick around chasing shads and herrings for a few weeks after that. Would I just wait until after the spawn?

I've been away from striper fishing for over a decade, and the fishery was a lot healthier back then. 

Thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

If I wanted to take an ethical approach in the upper Hudson area (outside Albany), how would you suggest I proceed?

My understanding is they spawn around April 20, and some stick around chasing shads and herrings for a few weeks after that. Would I just wait until after the spawn?

I've been away from striper fishing for over a decade, and the fishery was a lot healthier back then. 

Thanks in advance!

The stripers supposedly spawn in the Hudson in May and early June. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, ReelPeeler said:

Our limit this time of year is 5 fish at 21 inches or longer. June, July, august and September it’s 5 fish any size.

misleading - unintentional, I'm sure. That is (part of) SC's freshwater striper regs...

SC's saltwater regulations re/stripers includes a possession prohibition from June 1 through Sept 30. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, VitaminDee said:

4 months of straight slaughter...WOW. I never knew that. 

Not as bad as it sounds, given that the two populations are distinctly separate. 

On 4/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, Drew C. said:

Ps - everything in the pic is likely ‘legal’ so we shouldn’t complain about it. 

Although this comment is off-topic, here it is.

One thing pictured is not legal. Fish racks are classified as Hazardous Waste, as are the remnants of shellfish shucking process. 

Bizarre as that initially seems, that photo demonstrates why. To my knowledge, there is no exemption or qualification pertaining to amount or concentration, nor regarding use as bait or paving material (shellfish shells)

20 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

misleading - unintentional, I'm sure. That is (part of) SC's freshwater striper regs...

SC's saltwater regulations re/stripers includes a possession prohibition from June 1 through Sept 30. 

Not as bad as it sounds, given that the two populations are distinctly separate. 

Anytime I post I try and make sure I let it be known that I’m freshwater striper fishing. I don’t pretend to know the saltwater regs at all, cause I don’t. I realize the vast majority on here are saltwater fisherman, but I try and share my experience of what’s going on, on the other side.

To me a slaughter is a slaughter, regardless of salt or fresh, and what happens down here is flat out uncalled for, but yet legal. When you get groups of 10-15 of the same family that can keep 5 each, that’s 50-75 (most time more because no one wants to do right anymore) fish that walk out of there almost daily, and that’s just one group. Now times that by 5 more family’s of the same size, and that’s a slaughter, daily. Really, what can you do with a 8-10 inch fish anyway, put it in a blender?? 
Ive been fishing this place the last 16yrs, and my biggest to date is 27.5 pounds. No 20’s last year or the year before. There were years I could get several in the 20 range. No more, it just ain’t happening. Just because our stripers are stocked and freshwater, they count too. Like the saltwater guys, we would love to have a healthy large freshwater stock too. But as with the salt fish, it ain’t gonna happen till some changes are made, and those in charge don’t seem to be in a rush.

ReelPeeler.. My post was to assure that  the statement of SC's striper season, size and catch limits ("Our limit this time of year is 5 fish at 21 inches or longer. June, July, august and September it’s 5 fish any size") not be  misconstrued as SC's universal striper regulatory policy. ..and provide to anyone reading with saltwater-eyes SC's saltwater regs regarding Season, given that the thread topic  is Targeting of Spawning Fish

Edited by Shhh....Now

On 4/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, z-man said:

Disgusting! Where was that picture taken?

I could be wrong but I want to say that was at a marina in keyport NJ, or somewhere in the back bay.  Honestly not that surprising if you see how many boats are out fishing.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

Thanks in advance!

Not fishing in a spawning area at all would be a start. 

My thought would be a later start date...let them spawn first, then allow us to catch.

Although I’m not going to knock the start that I had this year. Many days of 20+ fish in a short time span that were caught and released. One fell to my knife @ 31”...

im not a freezer stocker when it comes to filets