DeepBlue85

Targeting spawning striped bass is a g.d disgrace

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Striped Bass are doomed. We have Maryland killing 19”+ fish, New England killing 28”-35” fish and the comms killing the 36”+ fish. Throw in people fishing for them while their spawning and they don’t stand a chance. 

NY commercial striper season May 15- December 15. 26” to 38”. Closed areas , one mile around inlets , west of Fire Island Inlet , HUDSON RIVER ,FINS, and Long Island Sound. Bays are fish traps only. Limited entry , moratorium at present. Educate yourself before spouting nonsense. 

Edited by pakalolo

24 mins ago, pakalolo said:

NY commercial striper season May 15- December 15. 26” to 38”. Closed areas , one mile around inlets , west of Fire Island Inlet , HUDSON RIVER ,FINS, and Long Island Sound. Bays are fish traps only. Limited entry , moratorium at present. Educate yourself before spouting nonsense. 

Educate your own self. NY is not the only state with a commercial season. 

14 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

Not a great trend....

6B6CDB9A-E4FD-4766-9D45-56B721CAF491.jpeg

If you project those lines from 2016 down 5 mores years it’s putting us near the late 80’s levels. Not good. 

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

IMHO not applicable, either in theory or in practice. without MD there would be no striped bass fishery on most of the coast. I've never seen anything by anybody that would justify the NY fishery during the spawn. 

Given that standard--that Maryland's fish are needed for the coast--there should be even higher standards for fisheries that allow smaller fish to be killed; unless Maryland can demonstrate that the small fish killed within the Chesapeake Bay don't adversely impact the coast, the Bay should be fishing on a 28-35-inch slot, just like the rest of us.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

In all fairness, he's talking about the bay, MD regs are ASMFC compliant with all the other states when it comes to the coastal Atlantic fishery. VA doesn't have any spawning stripers, just pre spawn, just like Raritan bay in NJ.

Not true.  If you look at the latest benchmark assessment, it credits Virginia with 1/3 of the bass spawned in the Chesapeake.

And while Maryland regs are ASMFC compliant, we can't forget that Maryland and New Jersey conservation equivalency was the reason why the probability of Addendum VI succeeding fell from 50% to 42%.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Educate your own self. NY is not the only state with a commercial season. 

But NY is seemingly the state that the basshuggers are having the vapors over. 

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

But NY is seemingly the state that the basshuggers are having the vapors over. 

If you actually read what I wrote you would know that I was talking about the various minimum size regulations throughout the east coast and how they effectively kill every size of bass. Instead you just saw the word commercial and got all emotional and insulting as usual. 

When friends and family are attacked because of their choice of career I tend to reflexively defend them from the hypocritical bass huggers bent on destroying their businesses. If that group doesn’t include you , my apologies. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, pakalolo said:

When friends and family are attacked because of their choice of career I tend to reflexively defend them from the hypocritical bass huggers bent on destroying their businesses. If that group doesn’t include you , my apologies. 

Iv commented on this issue in an honest way, I dont recall where nor exactly what I wrote but what I do know still is that the unforuntate dichotomy existing between commercial fishermen and recreational fisherman or as you describe " basshuggers" all depend in some way on the abundance of fish.  To suggest your reasons are greater because your family depends on harvest and less important for those who depend on it's recreational opportunity is no better than anyone claiming you dont deserve to harvest these fish.  So you see, while your interests and our interests conflict, one constant remains in the absolute need for more fish in the water.  If you take offense to those who put the abundance of striped bass over your family's commercial dependance on them, then your missing the greater point of those who do so as a necesary sacrifice. 

--Putting the health of a fishery before anything else isnt to discount the importance of commercial dependance, but to apply a force against the unstoppable, canibalistic, human trend that is environmental exploitation.--

Please understand that we all want the same thing but for different reasons and in different ways and to turn against eachother in the spirit of what we think is right is removing half of what could be a unified voice for more fish to enjoy, to harvest and to observe as one historically important piece of our local ecosystem.

Edited by DeepBlue85

I was just looking up info on striper growth rates and spawning and found this at the top of the NOAA page. 

About The Species

U.S. wild-caught Atlantic striped bass is a smart seafood choice because it is sustainably managed and responsibly harvested under U.S. regulations.

:eek:

On 3/31/2021 at 9:37 PM, mike07gsxr said:

Im a g.d disgrace too.

Tuck in that shirt! Adjust that belt buckle! Tie those shoes! The hell is this; Twisted ... A Twisted Sister pin on your uniform!? What kind of a 'man' are you? You're worthless and weak! 

A lot of people depended on the Buffalo for income too. Now look at them. Stripers are no different. Better start looking for a new income as commercial fishing is on its way out. Take a look back 20 years , do you see all those same boats and fishermen ? The ones who passed away aren’t being replaced. Commercial fishing is a thing of the past I’m afraid 

12 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Serious question: are your friends and family able to make a living off selling striped bass in New York?

And, hypothetically speaking, what about all of my friends and family who are tackle shop owners and run guide services? They depend on fish in the water, not dead ones.  Will you accept my reflexive defense of them against the bass-slayers?