DeepBlue85

Targeting spawning striped bass is a g.d disgrace

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

There...I said it.... come tell me I'm wrong.

I’m not disagreeing, just giving a idea of what doesn’t happen in our freshwater fishery. The fish were are catching right now are obviously pre-spawn fish. They are really fat right now. Most will probably spawn in the next 2-3 weeks. Our fish spawn just like any other striper, except the eggs will not naturally hatch. From the dam I fish to the next dam down river, the egg can’t do what it needs to, to become me a fish. So, every striper we have in this river is a stocked fish.     Our biggest issue, and I’m getting off topic for a sec, is poaching. Just last night, 2 more caught with short fish. What pisses me off is the laxed ass fines, especially considering the striped bass is our state fish. It’s pathetic. In a way, I almost feel like some (Not all) of the fish and game guys are ok with it, just because they are stocked

Until there is a moratorium it can’t be stopped. Cows being legally caught in RB and SH down in Jersey are traveling north to the Hudson to spawn. In less than a week the ‘tidal’ Hudson River season opens. In my area the undercover ECOs are cleaning up on those taking and possessing stripers. The actual ‘spawn’ will take place 100 miles north when the 41-42 degree river reaches 60-65.

10 hours ago, ReelPeeler said:

I’m not disagreeing, just giving a idea of what doesn’t happen in our freshwater fishery. The fish were are catching right now are obviously pre-spawn fish. They are really fat right now. Most will probably spawn in the next 2-3 weeks. Our fish spawn just like any other striper, except the eggs will not naturally hatch. From the dam I fish to the next dam down river, the egg can’t do what it needs to, to become me a fish. So, every striper we have in this river is a stocked fish.     Our biggest issue, and I’m getting off topic for a sec, is poaching. Just last night, 2 more caught with short fish. What pisses me off is the laxed ass fines, especially considering the striped bass is our state fish. It’s pathetic. In a way, I almost feel like some (Not all) of the fish and game guys are ok with it, just because they are stocked

those stocked fish is going to kill the fishery. Creating weak/dumb fish for the sake of recs. 

1 hour ago, VitaminDee said:

those stocked fish is going to kill the fishery. Creating weak/dumb fish for the sake of recs. 

Doesn't do much harm in South Carolina, where fish populations are unique to each river, dams have denied access to the spawning grounds for most of the fish, and they can't enter the coastal migratory stock.

To the extent that the bass were originally native to the rivers where they're currently stocked, it doesn't even add invasives to the area.

I generally despise hatcheries, but this is one of the few cases where they probably aren't doing material harm.

1 hour ago, VitaminDee said:

Our limit this time of year is 5 fish at 21 inches or longer. June, July, august and September it’s 5 fish any size. Fish and Game say keep them due to the hot water temps.  So what happens during those 4 months is that you get villages camped out. When you get mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and kids in every age range  that can possess 5,  that can be anywhere from 50-60 shorts or more taken out daily and that’s just one family . Now times that by five or more families doing the same thing daily, and these dumbassess wonder why small fish Never showed up last year.  Since Covid, it’s got worse.  

This is sure to be a hot topic. Any specie should be of a concern, certainly this forum will be tuned in as this our concern. For me the lack of striper returns up here last 12 years, according to data is less than 10% of 2010. It will be another topic

20 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

4 months of straight slaughter...WOW. I never knew that. 

And that’s all it is. Like I said earlier, it’s almost like some fish and game people try to justify it because they are stockers  instead of doing there job.  What we usually hope for is the fish that were  stocked 8-10 years ago will briefly show up, if they can get past the guides on the lake. It’s really a damn wonder we get any fish this far up anymore.

25 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

4 months of straight slaughter...WOW. I never knew that. 

Not too different from stocked trout in a lot of marginal or unsuitable waters.

The fish are dumped in rivers where, because of the conditions, they are unlikely to survive in numbers over the summer, so the regulations encourage people to take them before they die.

Probably not the most efficient way to spend license dollars, but if that's what drives sales, the agency will usually go along.

24 mins ago, Sparky said:

Anyone have an estimated date of when fish are spawned out in RB?

The early bite is driven by fish staging before they ascend the Hudson, so if you kept the season closed until sometime in May--May 15 would probably be ideal, although politically difficult--they'd be fine.  Even the old, Amendment 5-era May 8 opening that we had here in New York would do substantial good--but only if it was duplicated in New Jersey.

I never understood the 18" rule, and never understood why the season would open pre spawn. As a catch a release guy I know what parameters would benefit me but would piss off the masses. Treat it like lake bass catch and release artificial only until after the spawn. I think its all bull**** the only option to have the stock bounce back strong is a closure for a few years. It should have happened 5 years ago.